Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-18 22:24:14
Print Post

BT Hub failure?

[link to this post]

So, the BT Hub we had for our Infinity 4 nearly a year to the day has crapped out. For a week or so there would be intermittent disconnections which I thought was my software VPN acting up but yesterday morning the Hub lights went permanently orange.

I've switched off/on the Openreach wall router and Hub but no change in status.

BT contacted, engineer will be out at some point.

BUT, I now have no access to any of my NAS or other network devices like printers etc.

So, is there anyway of getting the Hub running as a router without internet access?

Regards,

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-18 23:41:41
Print Post

Re: BT Hub failure?

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

If the smart hub is dead, then probably the router part is dead, so revival means a new router

Lets hope the engineer they are sending has another router, rather than just will turn up and say yes your router is dead and then a new one be ordered

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User KelvinBridge
(regular) Tue 25-Sep-18 19:40:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Let's hope he didn't go on bt forums describing his problem, and came to a Solved /Solution message , which said in essence , buy another router /modem , without any clear explanation as to what had gone wrong, or how to correct it !

................tbb is lovely !!!

Edited by KelvinBridge (Tue 25-Sep-18 19:41:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Sep-18 20:45:00
Print Post

What kind of service is this please ? FTTC, FTTP, ADSL ?

I’m guessing from the ‘Infinity 4’ it’s FTTP , if so the Openreach engineer will NOT be providing a replacement router ..... they do not carry the BT FTTP aimed hub6. BT Retail do not raise FTTP ‘Boost’ tasks, so requirement to provide a router.

But, any homehub with a WAN port will work, or you could source your own choice.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Sep-18 20:49:35
Print Post

See my reply to the OP

Standard User fiddler
(committed) Wed 26-Sep-18 16:13:32
Print Post

Apologies for the delay in my reply - coincidental BT 4G outage has meant I'm incommunicado with no home internet.

Well, nothing is ever simple. The booking of engineer fell through because of a "data integrity issue" with my account which I suspect is related to the database issue of a year ago that I thought was solved but apparently not.

BT cannot raise the issue with Openreach either because their systems are down when they try or the data integrity issue won't let them.

A complaint has been raised by BT which from previous experience will be ignored by Openreach and they will do their own thing in their own time.

In the meantime the Hub appears to be giving out IP addresses so at least I can access the NASs.

Regards,

Rob
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Sep-18 20:06:07
Print Post

Can you not buy a cheap one off the Bay of Fleas ?

Standard User fiddler
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-18 15:15:42
Print Post

BT Wholesale playing games.

Just had a voicemail from BT to say that the fault they had raised with BT Wholesale had been fixed and therefore no appointment necessary and the fault cleared off the system.

Except that BT checked the connection and it still isn't working.

Quite what BTW are doing is beyond me. They appear to spend more time avoiding work than doing it.

Regards,

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-18 15:47:28
Print Post

The connection to the modem is most likely working and that is what BT Wholesale will be seeing.

i.e. the scenario of modem working and BT Smart Hub being broke is looks even more certain

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fiddler
(committed) Thu 27-Sep-18 17:04:15
Print Post

So I can just nip down to PC World and buy a Hub 6 and plug it in?

Regards,

Rob
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to