Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sd99
(member) Mon 22-Oct-18 10:43:59
Print Post

new build internal wiring / FTTP/H upgrade

[link to this post]

Hi

I have a five year old new build (3 story) townhouse. The master socket is located on the ground floor at the front of the property, with two extension sockets located at the front of the property on the first floor, and a couple on the second floor.

My cordless phones + ADSL router is located centrally on the first floor, which gives good coverage to the ground, first and second floors, and to the small back garden, and I typically receive around 15-17MB. My master socket just has a wired phone for emergencies.

Now I've been pondering upgrading my BT to FTTP fibre (other providers say that I cannot get FTTC), and I am aware that this may require the router be relocated to the ground floor via a new master socket.

In an attempt to see how this would affect signal quality throughout the house, I relocated my ADSL router to try it. However when I plugged it directly into the master socket, speeds dropped to around 6-7MB. I Unscrewed the master socket and exposed the test socket, and when I tried that, it reverted back up to full speed 15-17MB.

What does this imply? That when wiring my house, they somehow moved the master socket to the extension somehow? And how would it affect things if I upgraded to FTTP? Which floor would the router be located?

TIA
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Oct-18 12:50:35
Print Post

Re: new build internal wiring / FTTP/H upgrade

[re: sd99] [link to this post]

Who is saying FTTP is available to you?

Is it Fibre on Demand or WBC FTTP you are talking about? Financially very different.

The Openreach FTTP installed comprise a fibre ONT and then an Ethernet cable to the providers router, so even if the ONT was installed on the ground floor the Ethernet could be run upstairs. Doing that Ethernet run would be something you would have to do yourself.

FTTP is all new infrastructure, so can enter a property at a different point and existing copper wiring is irrelevant unless also ordering a Fibre Voice Access service (not possible on the Fibre on Demand option)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sd99
(member) Mon 22-Oct-18 14:18:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale's availability checker says WBC FTTP is available to me (Upto 1000 down, Upto 220 up), and BT's website says that I can get "ULTRAFAST FIBRE 2 PLUS (Average speed 300Mb)".

All other providers that I have tried, plusnet, talktalk etc say they cannot offer their fibre products (only ADSL), and I think I read somewhere that only a small number of providers supply fibre to the premises/home (ie bt/zen).

So I'm curious as to why the master socket is slower than the test socket for ADSL, and how my wiring may effect any fibre install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Oct-18 14:30:21
Print Post

[re: sd99] [link to this post]

ADSL/ADSL2+ issues, the copper wiring in the home introduces length, noise pickup and bridge taps potentially all that reduce the speed compared to the test socket. One presumes the 'emergency' phone plugged in does have a micro-filter attached.

OK so WBC-FTTP and as its just FTTP then the 40/80 and other options up to 300 Mbps will exist.

Our package search will filter the packages and providers when given a postcode https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages

The FTTP service is only currently sold by a sub set of operators

Your wiring will have no effect on the fibre speeds, since FTTP is delivered over a new cable which is fibre optic into the home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to