Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-18 12:35:15
Print Post

Remote access to CCTV required

[link to this post]

Hi

Wonder if someone on here can help please.

I currently have a 4 camera CCTV system which I can access quite easily on the LAN from PC/Ipad/Android.

I want to be able to view the CCTV remotely on the Android and have downloaded various apps but can't get it to work.

When I sign in to my CCTV it is via a browser http://192.168.0.100/webcamera.html

I have tried Remote Management/Port forwarding under Firewall rules but am obviously doing something wrong.

I get the impression that I need to allocate a static IP to my CCTV and add this to the router (currently the router does not show as an attached device in Maintenance in My Sky Hub)

Also 3 items on the LAN are accessed via TP Link plugs - I thought the MAC addresses in the router would be the MAC addresses on the plugs but they are not.

Is there anyone out there who could help me set this up stage by stage please ?

Thanks

Les
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-18 13:01:49
Print Post

Re: Remote access to CCTV required

[re: LesMalvern] [link to this post]

Why do you have two routers on your network?

if both are delivering NAT services, then you would need to port forward on both devices i.e. this setup is usually best avoided.

A lot hinges on how the CCTV system works, i.e. can it do everything over say port 80, or to remotely serve video will other ports be needed. Also since you are exposing a web server to the internet for EVERYONE to see have you checked that the CCTV system has good security and the web server does not have flaws that let people see the video without your permission.

The better CCTV systems use upload to the cloud and you can view content by logging into a central server run by the CCTV manufacturer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-18 13:26:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is where I show my ignorance smile
Only one router (Sky Q Hub)
Network in CCTV system shows HTTP 80 Server Port 6036
Totally understand the exposure on the web server.
Bought the system a few years ago and suspect it doesn't upload anything to the cloud.
Have CCTV manual which has a section on remote access on WAN which reads thus:

On WAN
There are two ways that the DVR is connected to internet.
1. Connect the DVR to internet through a router or virtual server.
Step1: Input IP address, Subnet, Gateway. If using DHCP, please enable DHCP in both the DVR and router.
Digital Video Recorder User Manual
Step2: Enter Video to set network video parameters like resolution, frame rate etc.
Step3: Forward IP address and port number in Virtual Server setup of the router or virtual server. Close firewall. Notice: Forwarding block may be different in different routers and server, please check your router manual.
If users want to utilize dynamic domain name, need apply for a domain name in a DDNS server supported by the DVR or router. Then add to the DVR or router.
Now this unit only supportswww.dns2p.com , www.88IP.net ,www.meibu.com ,www.dyndns.com,and www,no-ip.com
About the router, please check in the router manual.
Step5: Open IE browser, input IP address, or dynamic domain name and enter. If HTTP port is not 80, add the port number after IP address or domain name.
Step6: IE will download ActiveX automatically. Then a window pops up and asks for user name and password.
Step7: Input name and password correctly, and enter to view. Notice: If you cannot download and install ActiveX, please refer to Appendix A FAQ Q7.
2. Connect the DVR to internet directly.
Step1: Input IP address, Subnet, Gateway gotten from your ISP. If using ADSL, please input user name and password, and click OK. The DVR will connect the server and show “connection succeeds”.
Step2: The following steps are the same as STEP4-7 of the connection way above.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Nov-18 14:09:17
Print Post

1) Does your router have a fixed public IP address, or do you already have a Dynamic DNS service?

2) AIUI you can access all 4 cameras and any recordings by accessing the DVR's web page. Is this correct?

3) If so the DVR should have a fixed IP address. Likely you can configure this manually in the DVR. Alternatively if using DHCP, you may be able to configure your router to always assign the same address to the DVR's MAC address.

4) Do you have to enter a userid and password to access the DVR web page?

4) Personally I make use of port forwading and I forward a random 5 digit port number to something like port 80. That makes life harder for those trying to hack my network.

Michael Chare
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-18 14:49:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

1. Router does NOT have a fixed public IP address and I realise that I would need to change that in the app periodically.

2.Yes I can access all 4 cameras,recordings etc from the web page

3.This is where I get stuck . I can change the IP address DCHP IS ticked .in the LAN IP setup - Router LAN address is 192.168.0.1 with "Use Router as DCHP server " configured to Start IP address 192.168.0.2 and finish 192.168.0.254 If I change the IP address should that be outside of the range allocated by the router ? I know I'll need to ping to check it's not in use already.

4. Yes I have to enter a user ID and password to access the DVR web page and I can change the password - not sure if I can change the userid.

5. That's the bit I get stuck on..

So, if I find an IP address that's not in use and enter that in my CCTV (which currently uses HTTP Port 80 and Server Port 6036) - what would the next step Be ?

Edited by LesMalvern (Sat 10-Nov-18 15:13:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Nov-18 15:23:51
Print Post

Chance the IP range the router uses for DHCP e.g. to 192.168.0.2 and finish 192.168.0.100

Then you can manually set the CCTV device to 192.168.0.200, will need to add the 192.168.0.1 gateway and DNS IP too, subnet mask 255,255.255.0

Then in the Sky hub you can configure the port forwarding for TCP port 80 to 192.168.0.100, the server port 6036 may mean you need to also port forward that i.e. possibly uses that for video streaming

To test it is working you then to visit http://<your internet IP address> from a device that is NOT on the local network e.g. turn off Wi-Fi on your mobile and check that that can access.

Ensure you have a strong password set up for access to the CCTV and research if there are any flaws, e.g. some have bugs that let people access without a hardcoded password or bypass passwords.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-18 17:12:13
Print Post

I've almost followed that smile
Current settings are :-
HTTP Port 80
Server Port 6036
IP Address 192.168.000.100 - So change the last 3 to 200
SubNet Mask 255 255 255 000
Gateway 192.168.001.000 - What is this ? (My Sky Hub is 192.168.0.1)
Preferred DNS Server 000.000.000.000 - What should this be ?
Alternate DNS Server 000.000.000.000 What goes in here if anything ?
PPPoE is NOT ticked

Very grateful for your help
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Nov-18 19:04:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by LesMalvern:
I've almost followed that smile

Very grateful for your help

Current settings are :-
HTTP Port 80
Server Port 6036

What is the 6036 for? Maybe described in the manual.

SubNet Mask 255 255 255 000
OK

Gateway 192.168.001.000 - What is this ? (My Sky Hub is 192.168.0.1)

Preferred DNS Server 000.000.000.000 - What should this be ?
Alternate DNS Server 000.000.000.000 What goes in here if anything ?

The gateway and the DNS servers should be the the Sky Hub address, presumably 198.168.0.1

PPPoE is NOT ticked
Correct

Is there a special Android app or are you supposed to use an Android web browser?

Michael Chare
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-18 20:08:01
Print Post

This all the manual has to say about the 6036 port
HTTP port - 80
The port number of accessing IE browser. The default port is 80
Server port - 6036
The port number of data. The default port is 6036

Did you miss the question about what is 192.168.001.000 ?

There are a number of Smartphone Apps - including GDMSS Lite , SuperLive Pro, Meye,

Edited by LesMalvern (Sat 10-Nov-18 20:30:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Nov-18 10:38:19
Print Post

HTTP Port 80
Server Port 6036
IP Address 192.168.0.200 - So change the last 3 to 200
SubNet Mask 255 255 255 0
Gateway 192.168.0.001 - tells device that all traffic should go via this gateway to reach other networks
Preferred DNS Server 192.168.0.1 - Your router usually
Alternate DNS Server 192.168.0.2 - Also your router or can use a different one for backup e.g. 8.8.8.8 which is Google DNS

NOTE Convention is to not show the leading zeros, so a quirky interface on the CCTV if it is showing them

The small snippet you've said on the data server sounds like the streamed video is over this port

Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sun 11-Nov-18 13:40:14
Print Post

OK - Steps taken so far:-
Range of IP addresses in router changed from 2 to 100
IP address in CCTV changed to 198.168.000.200
Alternate DNS changed to 198.168.000.002
Created 2 services in in router
cctv TCP 80..80
cctv2 TCP 6036..6036
Added 2 Firewall rules in Inbound services which now read :-
......No...Enabled..Service Name..Action.....LAN Users........................ WAN Users..........Log
......1........Y..........CCTV .............Allow.......192.168.0.1 (80:80)........0.0.0.0..............Never
.................................................Always.........................................(1.65535)
......No...Enabled..Service Name..Action.....LAN Users......................... WAN Users..........Log
......2........Y..........CCTV2...........Allow......192.168.0.1(6036:6036)......0.0.0.0..............Never
................................................Always............................................(1.65535)

CCTV Config now reads:-
HTTP Port 80
Server Port 6036
IP Address 192.168.0.200
SubNet Mask 255 255 255 0
Gateway 192.168.001.001 (Please note 001 in 3rd Group - ????)
Preferred DNS Server 192.168.000.001
Alternate DNS Server 192.168.000.002
PPPoE not enabled.
(Yes CCTV does show leading zeroes)

Still works fine on wifi on Ipad and Smartphone.

Tried using 2 different apps on Smartphone Meye and SuperLivePro with Wifi off and Mobile Network on (data enabled and mobile data always on) - still doesn't work.
Setup requires me to allocate a device, give the service a name, enter Public IP Address, Port No. User, Password.
I take the last two to be the User Id and password of the CCTV.
I have tried Port 80 and Port 6036 - both with no joy.

13.59 - I have just tried a port tester on 80 and 6036 - both show as closed

Really appreciating your help
What have I got wrong

Edited by LesMalvern (Sun 11-Nov-18 14:00:35)

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Nov-18 14:40:23
Print Post

In the CCTV why is gateway not set to 192.168.0.1?

Michael Chare
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sun 11-Nov-18 15:18:24
Print Post

No idea unless I've changed it by mistake at some stage - off to take the dog for a walk - will change it when I get back and report back.
Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sun 11-Nov-18 16:46:22
Print Post

Gateway changed to 192.168.000.001
Still the same result
"Failed to connect to device.Please check network and device"

Still works OK locally on wifi

Don't know if this is relevant or not but in the router under Maintenance/Attached Devices the CCTV is not shown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Nov-18 16:49:57
Print Post

If firewall rules means port forwarding then the 192.168.0.1 is wrong, you need to put in the IP address of the CCTV server i.e 192.168.0.200

Standard User LesMalvern
(newbie) Sun 11-Nov-18 17:14:24
Print Post

smile smile smile smile smile smile

I'm in smile

Can't thank you both enough - I owe you a pint or 3 if you're ever in Malvern

Now for the security side - I'll set the password to the CCTV to a really secure password.

I know the public IP will change periodically so to some extent I guess I'm protected there ?

Is there anything else I need to do ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to