Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 26-Nov-18 11:30:23
Print Post

UBIQUITI - UBI-UAP-AC-PRO + HH5

[link to this post]

I'm looking to solve my wifi issues with a UBIQ Pro

I just need to check i've understood everything.

HH5 currently sits on the side of the ground floor. The house is a 3 storey.

I want to drill out with a weatherproof shielded cat6 cable, go up the outside/side wall and into the loft, then across the loft to the opposite side and drop the cable through the top floor ceiling and mount a UBI-UAP-AC-PRO on the ceiling.

In theory all good. But i don't understand the POE injectors. The cable run is going to be substantial, probably 25m, and it's going to be outside, is it wise to run POE from the HH5 in this scenario?

Ideally i was thinking of using a normal plug on the UBIQ AP but not sure if this is an option, can't figure it out, if its just POE.

thanks
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Nov-18 11:43:52
Print Post

Re: UBIQUITI - UBI-UAP-AC-PRO + HH5

[re: oldskool] [link to this post]

So, if I understand correctly you would rather run it from a local power socket? This seller says it comes with a standard power cable or can be powered by POE - check with your supplier but it appears it should come with a standard power adapter.
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 26-Nov-18 11:57:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks, yes ideally power from a socket, and its confusing as the spec's say its POE.

I think its mentioning a plug because it comes with a POE injector which of course plugs in.

Having only just started reading about POE and how they work, i assume i could just put the POE injector above it in the loft (where i have a power source) and power the AP, then have the other CAT6 cable run out the loft, down the house and into the wall next to the HH5.

I assume that works? Providing i use a correctly rated, shielding cable for outdoor use.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Nov-18 12:02:07
Print Post

The site I linked to suggests it comes with a standard power adapter - but without knowing where you are buying it from that may possibly not be the case with all.

However, I believe with a POE injector you could inject the power at the destination rather than the source. This means the power will only travel the last local part rather than over the full length of the cable.

EDIT : OK, it is a power adapter for the POE. But the POE doesn't have to be plugged in close to the switch. Run cable from switch to where you want the AP. Plug that into the injector and then take a short cable from the injector to the AP. That way the power is only running at the short cable and not through the cable that goes outside the building.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 26-Nov-18 12:06:54)

Standard User TechServ
(newbie) Mon 26-Nov-18 13:16:43
Print Post

You would be fine to Power the POE injector next to your HomeHub and then run the network cable to the AC-Pro on the top floor - external or internal doesn't matter, just use the correct cable!

Should you ever need to reboot the AP it is much easier if the POE injector is accessible.

There is no alternative power method on a UBNT AP - just POE

You'll need a short patch cable from the HomeHub to the POE injector as well - this is not included in the box
Standard User oldskool
(member) Mon 26-Nov-18 17:46:21
Print Post

[re: TechServ] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful

I'll go ahead and purchase and get this sorted!
Standard User mHm
(newbie) Mon 26-Nov-18 18:17:58
Print Post

UAP-AC-PRO used to be sold (by the manufacturer) without a PoE adapter. They recently changed their mind and now again include a PoE adapter. Make sure that your supplier includes a UK cable (from PoE to mains).

The UAP-AC-PRO uses 48V PoE. Your max cable length is therefore about 100 m.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 27-Nov-18 10:35:12
Print Post

[re: mHm] [link to this post]

I bought an AC-PRO about a fortnight ago and didn't get a POE injector with it (I hadnt expected to).

I thought that they used to supply one but had stopped fairly recently?

Excellent piece of kit even if it is way over specified for home use.

Are you just using it free standing or using a controller? I and running the controller on a Raspberry Pi - because I can!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Tue 27-Nov-18 11:25:36
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

The only difference is that by default the Ubiquiti power supplies come with a C5 (cloverleaf) lead with a Schuko plug. If you are happy rewiring a plug yourself there is no need to get anything else and you can do your bit for the environment (I have a range of plugs taken off electrical equipment that was broken beyond repair and sent for recycling).

Personally I think the AC-Lite and AC-LR along with the AC-M for outdoors/wall mounting work best in a home environment because you can power the lot with the 24V passive PoE from an Edgerouter X SFP. You don't even need a controller for the setup. I used the UniFi app on my tablet along with a USB OTG adaptor and the USB to ethernet adaptor for my laptop. I continue to use the tablet to keep them up to date.
  Print Thread

Jump to