Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Borse2008
(newbie) Sat 15-Dec-18 19:10:36
Print Post

How do I access the modem part through the router?

[link to this post]

I've got a Draytek 130 Modem and a Ubiquti USG router how do I configure it so I can access the modem through the router ?

Can anyone help ?
Standard User brookheather
(regular) Wed 19-Dec-18 21:32:58
Print Post

Re: How do I access the modem part through the router?

[re: Borse2008] [link to this post]

I just use the Draytek 130 IP address of 192.168.2.1 and it goes to the login page - no router configuration needed.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Dec-18 04:03:30
Print Post

When I last used the 130 many moons ago, I also couldnít get line stats from it when connected to my router - despite trying most rnajor router brands incl Asus. When I asked about this on the Draytek forums i was told by their support team that itís not possible. Iím afraid the only way to get line stats is by physically disconnecting the LAN cable to the router and plugging it into a PC temporarily.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User teshy
(newbie) Thu 20-Dec-18 10:13:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Borse2008:

I've got a Draytek 130 Modem and a Ubiquti USG router how do I configure it so I can access the modem through the router ?

Can anyone help ?

Info below is based on my setup. Please be aware that any unsupported configuration you make on your equipment could render it unusable.

I have a similar setup with a Draytek Vigor 130 and an Asus DSL-AC68u router.

In my setup, if all network settings have been left at default, then the IP address of the Vigor 130 interface admin interface will be 192.168.2.1.

The Asus router will have its internal network as 192.168.1.*. The router admin interface will be 192.168.1.1.

So, the internal devices will have IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254.

To route traffic between the 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.* networks (which is required to access the Vigor 130 admin interface), the ethernet port on my Asus router which is connected to the Vigor 130 needs to be in the 192.168.2.* range, so for example, it can have an IP address of 192.168.2.15 (or anything else in that subnet which is not in use).

My Asus admin web console does not allow me to set an IP address on any of its ethernet ports (including the one connected to the Vigor 130). So I had to launch a terminal session and connect to the Asus, login as admin, and use the Unix based ifconfig command to first determine which virtual interface was connected to the Vigor 130 and then assign an IP addresss of 192.168.2.15 to that interface.

The router then updates its internal routing tables to allow it to route between the 192.168.1.* and 192.168.2.* networks. This then allows my devices on 192.168.1.* to connect to the Vigor 130 admin interface on 192.168.2.1.

It took a bit of trial and error to find the correct virtual interface which represents the physical port on the Asus router which is connected to the Vigor 130. Also, the config is reset if the router is rebooted, so I need to set the IP address after every reboot.

Your router may or may not work in the same way, but, hopefully, the above information might help you in finding out how to access the Vigor 130 admin interface in your setup without having to disconnect it from the router and then attaching a computer directly to the Vigor 130.

Edited by teshy (Thu 20-Dec-18 10:18:17)

Standard User brookheather
(regular) Thu 20-Dec-18 12:01:19
Print Post

[re: teshy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by teshy:
My Asus admin web console does not allow me to set an IP address on any of its ethernet ports (including the one connected to the Vigor 130).

I had a DSL-AC68U until recently connected to my Vigor 130 and you can easily set the IP address for the LAN port you are using to connect to the modem:

In order to access the Vigor 130 admin webpage you go to WAN -> Internet Connection and under WAN IP Setting click No for "Get WAN IP Automatically". Then enter the following values:

IP Address 192.168.2.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.2.1
Standard User tdw42
(regular) Thu 20-Dec-18 12:09:11
Print Post

The general mechanisms have been discussed in a previous thread I can't immediately find - basically you need two different interfaces on the "WAN" port of your router, standard IP for communication with the Draytek plus PPPoE for internet connectivity.

Most major router manufacturers don't support this, it is certainly possible with Mikrotik, Ubiquiti USG, Fritz!Box, pfSense. With the USG it isn't possible to configure this directly through the web UI, see https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switchin... and, unrelated, this may be useful too https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switchin...
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 20-Dec-18 12:56:37
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yeah well they where talking out their backsides.

What you need to do is add a custom route on the Vigor 130 so that it can find your home network. This can ONLY be done with the command line on the Vigor 130. The default credentials are admin/admin.

So assuming that the Vigor 130 has not been mucked about with and 192.168.1.0/24 is your home network then issuing the following on the Vigor 130 will do the trick.

ip route add 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.100 static

Note that while it is marketed as a VDSL/ADSL modem it is in fact under the hood a singled port router, and you have the full power of the DrayOS at your disposal. Outside the UK it is marketed differently.
Standard User teshy
(newbie) Thu 20-Dec-18 14:18:53
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brookheather:
In order to access the Vigor 130 admin webpage you go to WAN -> Internet Connection and under WAN IP Setting click No for "Get WAN IP Automatically". Then enter the following values:

IP Address 192.168.2.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.2.1

WAN IP is supposed to be the Internet-facing IP address. In my case, this is a static IP provided by the ISP. The ISP has said that my router's WAN IP should be set to obtain WAN IP automatically and that it will always receive the IP that has been allocated to me, which it has so far.

192.168.2.* is a private IP range - while setting my WAN IP to an address in this range may allow me to connect to the Vigor 130, I would imagine that this would prevent my devices from connecting to the Internet.

Unless the Vigor 130 is doing the routing to/from the Internet, and the Internet IP is on the Vigor 130. I am using the Vigor 130 in bridge mode so it does not have an Internet-facing IP. My Internet-facing IP is on the Asus DSL-AC68u.

The way I have it set up is currently working for me, both for my devices to connect to the Internet and also to access the Vigor admin page on 192.168.2.1.
Standard User teshy
(newbie) Thu 20-Dec-18 14:49:00
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tdw42:
The general mechanisms have been discussed in a previous thread I can't immediately find - basically you need two different interfaces on the "WAN" port of your router, standard IP for communication with the Draytek plus PPPoE for internet connectivity.

Most major router manufacturers don't support this, it is certainly possible with Mikrotik, Ubiquiti USG, Fritz!Box, pfSense. With the USG it isn't possible to configure this directly through the web UI, see https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switchin... and, unrelated, this may be useful too https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switchin...

This is similar to what I have done. The WAN port on my Asus gets its WAN IP address via PPoE, which is the static IP assigned to me by the ISP. The Asus admin page for my router does not allow me to specify an IP address for another interface on that physical WAN port. However, using a terminal session I was able to set an IP address of 192.168.2.15 (15, but could have been anything that is unused) on the "WAN" port.

As you say, this is not supported, but it works and the 192.168.2.15 IP address is lost when the router is either rebooted or the PPoE connection resets for whatever reason.

Edited by teshy (Thu 20-Dec-18 14:50:05)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Dec-18 17:18:11
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
So assuming that the Vigor 130 has not been mucked about with and 192.168.1.0/24 is your home network then issuing the following on the Vigor 130 will do the trick.

Note that while it is marketed as a VDSL/ADSL modem it is in fact under the hood a singled port router, and you have the full power of the DrayOS at your disposal. Outside the UK it is marketed differently.
Is there a (UK market) VDSL modem which can not be reconfigured to work as a router?

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to