Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paulb100
(member) Wed 19-Dec-18 20:39:14
Print Post

Advice on a new router please

[link to this post]

Hi

I have just upgraded my Plusnet Internet speeds from 40Mb to 80Mb and I also want a new DSL Router to go with it...

I currently use a BT Home Hub 5B (Broadcom 63168 - 400mHz x 2 CPU - 128MB RAM)

what I'm looking for is a DSL Router with the following:

1) A Broadcom chipset
2) At least dual-core 800Mhz+ and 128MB+ RAM
3) Dual or Tri Band Wifi (N,AC 5Ghz etc)
4) Gbit LAN
5) Be able to access SNR/QLN/Bit-Loading etc through Router Monitoring Software such as DSLstats
6) Have G.INP
7) Be wall mountable

can anyone advise which routers are available that can do/has all this?

thanks in advance

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Chat

Edited by paulb100 (Wed 19-Dec-18 20:40:33)

Standard User paulb100
(member) Thu 20-Dec-18 13:34:17
Print Post

Re: Advice on a new router please

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

..If I could also get MAC spoofing that would be good too

Tech Chat
Standard User steve195527
(learned) Thu 20-Dec-18 17:35:03
Print Post

netgear d7000 in all its guises meets the spec you require not sure if they have updated firmware to enable it to work with BTs form native ipv6 since I had one

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Fri 21-Dec-18 11:00:19
Print Post

Hi, would you not consider separates? I love to tinker with my router and always used combined modem/router units, but when I tinkered too much one day DLM decided my line was unstable and needed to act, which was then really difficult (impossible) to get reset.
After that I got a separate modem and router, I used an Asus RT AC68U with Merlin Firmware on it and I'm sure it has all the options your looking for and can run OpenVPN at router level.
I then had the luxury of being able to tinker and reboot as much as I wanted without upsetting DLM as my modem stayed connected at all times.
I still use same style setup but with Virgin and using Hub3 in modem mode but I'm now trying out Ubiquiti router and on a steep learning curve lol.
I tried a few modems on my FTTC connection and always went back to an old unlocked HG612 3b, there's a few threads on here that give suggestions on what modem they find best.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 21-Dec-18 14:49:36
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

I would second that. There is another advantage of separates, that firstly the optimal place for the WiFi is very unlikely to be right next to the master socket, which is the optimal place for the VDSL modem.

Personally I think that an Edgerouter X SFP (skip the plain X as the SFP has PoE out on multiple ports), coupled with some UniFi AP-Lite, AP-LR and AC-M depending on requirements and a HG612 3b or Vigor 130 is a really difficult combination to beat. Takes a bit more setup, but you get a load of flexibility and firmware that is going to get security updates.

One neet trick is to use the following to power your modem using the 24V passive PoE of the Edgerouter X SFP.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EBCQ5FM

It will work with either the HG612 or the Vigor 130. Then you can put your EdgeRouter X SFP on a UPS and then your internet can ride out a power cut. Or you can power cycle the modem from the EdgeRouter.
Standard User paulb100
(member) Sat 22-Dec-18 15:12:36
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

I have had 2 devices before (HG612 + a Netgear Router) and its not something I wish to do again, I live on my own in a very small flat and have my PC hard wired, I use 5Ghz wifi some times on my phone, I dont have wifi connectivity issues so router location isnt that important to me (with regards to getting better wifi coverage)

that Netgear D7000, does it support G.INP? I know it supports G.FAST - doesn't matter much anyway as my cabinet is an ECI (Lantiq) which don't support G.INP

Beamforming is something I left out that I would like to have

Broadband Technical Advisor @ Sky
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Dec-18 15:40:47
Print Post

There are better all-in-one routers than the Netgear D7000 for the same money or less.

If money is no object and you want the very best, then go for one of the Netgear D7800, Asus DSL-AC88U, TP Link VR2800 or Billion 8900AX. They all use a decent Broadcom or stable Lantiq DSL chipset with excellent wifi range/coverage - all are 4x4 stream Mu-Mimo routers.

If you want something cheaper around the £100 mark, then the TP Link VR900v2 is an excellent option. Its only a 3x3 stream router so wifi won't be as good as the above routers but its still a very good router for wifi and it has a Broadcom DSL chipset.

If you don't want to spend too much (<£100), then something like the Billion 8800NL or the TP Link VR600 are good budget routers.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sat 22-Dec-18 17:23:28
Print Post

Netgear one on sale just now if thats what you want? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7979457
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Sat 22-Dec-18 22:16:35
Print Post

Well in that case I would probable go with a Draytek 2762n or possibly 2762ac.

Personally I would not touch "consumer" devices with a barge pole. If you are very lucky you might get a couple of years security updates after which they will expect you to buy a brand new device. If you are again lucky you might be able to load one of the open source firmwares on it but that is a lot of hassle in my experience.

In the end I got fed up with it all and moved to using an EdgeRouter X SFP with the HG612 BT provided which had the advantage of being able to power my UnFi AC LR access point using PoE. I have since gone slightly crazy with the PoE and if the gFast pod on my cabinet gets activated I only need to replace the HG612.in my setup.
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Dec-18 03:56:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Well in that case I would probable go with a Draytek 2762n or possibly 2762ac.

As good as the Draytek routers are for business use, the Wi-Fi spec on them isnít great, eg they donít support beam forming nor do they go beyond 2x2 or 3x3 streams (canít remember which). Before you say he should use an additional access point for wifi, the OP has made it very clear he requires an all-in-one router.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 23-Dec-18 09:06:15)

Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Sun 23-Dec-18 09:19:08
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
As good as the Draytek routers are for business use, the Wi-Fi spec on them isnít great, eg they donít support beam forming nor do they go beyond 2x2 or 3x3 streams (canít remember which). Before you say he should use an additional access point for wifi, the OP has made it very clear he requires an all-in-one router.

However it is apparently a small flat with just himself and he does not care much about WiFi performance. As such the Draytek will provide that and long term give you security updates which Netgear et al. won't. No brainer IMHO.
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Dec-18 12:47:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

However it is apparently a small flat with just himself and he does not care much about WiFi performance. As such the Draytek will provide that and long term give you security updates which Netgear et al. won't. No brainer IMHO.

For home use, there's nothing wrong with using a consumer router equipped with the latest firmware and WPA2 encryption enabled. Yes I'm fully aware that consumer routers do (and will) get hacked but if this was happening too frequently then the likes of Tim Higgins on SNBForums would be making a huge issue of it and telling people NOT to buy consumer routers. However this clearly isn't the case and suggesting people shouldn't be using consumer routers is akin to telling people not to cross the road, just in case they get run over. Of course businesses may think differently, however this thread is not about routers in a business/commercial environment.

Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 23-Dec-18 19:13:49)

(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Dec-18 12:53:39
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
Netgear one on sale just now if thats what you want? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7979457

£100 is an excellent price for the D7000, as it normally retails around £150-£160. At that price, well worth a punt and returning it to Argos is fairly easy if not satisfied.

Linksys EA9500v2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to