Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Sun 20-Jan-19 04:29:02
Print Post

HH6 Business, HH5 openwrt and vpn

[link to this post]

I am hoping there are some network gurus here, I have a Home Hub 6 business as my main router (192.168.0.1)
I have a Home Hub 5 with OpenWRT on it running OpenVPN (10.0.0.1)

the HH5 can access the internet just fine through the VPN

I have a oDroid C2 running transmission on it, along with Sonarr and Jackett which i want to put behind the HH5 so if and when i download films and episodes i wont get an email saying that my IP has been logged as downloading copyright material

I have 2 kodi boxes connected to the HH6 which the C2 shares the videos with,
if i put the C2 behind the HH5, i cant share my videos to my kodi boxes, i cant access the C2 at all

as the HH6 is a business hub, it has all the bells and whistles, not so locked down as the typical HH6, i have a routing option in the settings

so my question is, how can i share the C2 (10.0.0.2) with all devices on my HH6 (192.168.0.1) and possibly ssh into the C2 from outside my network

i have multiple DDNS hostnames setup at the moment

Edited by Inferno78 (Sun 20-Jan-19 04:30:42)

Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-19 12:29:13
Print Post

Re: HH6 Business, HH5 openwrt and vpn

[re: Inferno78] [link to this post]

IS there any reason why all devices cannot be on the same subnet??
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Sun 20-Jan-19 21:50:49
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

they can be if i wanted, but i still couldn't get access to the C2 if they were

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 21-Jan-19 13:41:33
Print Post

Anyone helping you to do this would be an accessory to a crime!

However I don't think you can!.

For routeing
The Hub5 is connected via a virtual pipe to a router somewhere else in the world served by a separate IP address.

The Hub 6 is connected to a BT (?) Router in the core. There is no data connection between the two in your home.

You therefore cannot access the Hub5 from the Hub 6 without going through the Internet to connect the two IP addresses which would defeat your reasoning.
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Mon 21-Jan-19 15:35:21
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Well you could connect the two routers with an ethernet cable and then set some routing options between the two routers. So that traffic between the two networks knew to use the ethernet link.

Though doing that with the hung of junk that is an ISP provided router is unlikely to work, especially if you can't set routing options on the HH5.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jan-19 15:25:30
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

It's not a crime to stream films via Kodi. Only if one shares the films will the email arrive.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Inferno78
(member) Tue 05-Feb-19 11:26:51
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Anyone helping you to do this would be an accessory to a crime!

thanks for that useless bit of info

In reply to a post by kitcat:
However I don't think you can!.

For routeing
The Hub5 is connected via a virtual pipe to a router somewhere else in the world served by a separate IP address.

The Hub 6 is connected to a BT (?) Router in the core. There is no data connection between the two in your home.

You therefore cannot access the Hub5 from the Hub 6 without going through the Internet to connect the two IP addresses which would defeat your reasoning.

the HH6 is my main router, the HH5 is hard wired into the HH6, both in my house

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Well you could connect the two routers with an ethernet cable and then set some routing options between the two routers. So that traffic between the two networks knew to use the ethernet link.

Though doing that with the hung of junk that is an ISP provided router is unlikely to work, especially if you can't set routing options on the HH5.

ooh, ok, well the HH5 has OpenWRT on it, so routing options are definitely there and the HH6 is a business router and also has routing options as well, i just dont have the knowledge to do it yet
Standard User andynormancx
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-19 13:24:17
Print Post

The HH5 presumably has a 192.168.0.x address.

Probably what you need to do is add a static route on the HH6, for the network 10.0.0.0/24, pointed at the IP address of the HH5.

The HH5 is probably already set to route from 10.0.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24.

If you get that working though, things like auto discovery of devices (that uses subnet broadcasts) won’t find other devices on the other subnet. But for things that you get to configure manually it should be ok.

All of this assumes the HH5 has only routing enabled and not NAT. If the HH5 has NAT enabled then you’re probably going to have to add some firewall rules to bypass NAT for traffic going from 10.0.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Feb-19 17:04:18
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
It's not a crime to stream films via Kodi. Only if one shares the films will the email arrive.
Just because you don't get an email, it doesn't mean it isn't a crime. It only means you haven't been caught. It's like driving above the speed limit past a speed camera that isn't working.

If you haven't paid the copyright owner to watch a film/TV show/video because you're watching a streamed or downloaded pirated copy then it's a breach of section 11 of the Fraud Act 2006 - 'Obtaining services dishonestly'

If you have a plugin on a Kodi box or any similar device which allows you to watch such content that's also a breach of section 6 of the Fraud Act 2006 - 'Possession etc. of articles for use in frauds'

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Tue 05-Feb-19 17:09:56)

Print Thread

Jump to