Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dwg1
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-19 22:26:34
Print Post

Telnet help please

[link to this post]

Hi all, I could do with some help. I have a CCTV DVR which accepts ping requests, but I don't seem to be able to Telnet into it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Jan-19 22:34:28
Print Post

Re: Telnet help please

[re: dwg1] [link to this post]

Not all devices support telnet access, are you sure it has a telnet interface

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dwg1
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-19 22:39:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ahhhh that could be it. It is able to be configured to connect to a FTP server, but I don't know if that is any use anyway. I am looking at the possibly of installing a Syslog server on it. Your help is much appreciated smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Jan-19 22:46:52
Print Post

With no make/model chance of getting help is close to zero

Configuring to upload image/video to a FTP server is an expected option on a CCTV device, installing syslog etc is not something they'd have coded for

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dwg1
(regular) Fri 25-Jan-19 23:02:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This did cross my mind... The make of the DVR is Floureon, I think it is running standard cheap but functioning firmware. On the net, some have reported being able to Telnet into similar boxes. As a side note I have a additional router with a USB port in it (the one that does the logging hasn't). I wonder if that could do the trick some way?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Jan-19 17:17:08
Print Post

You could try ssh rather than telnet. For ssh I use Bitvise Tunnelier. There may be something in the menus to enable telnet or ssh.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Sat 26-Jan-19 17:19:59)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Jan-19 19:02:45
Print Post

TELNET is insecure and offers no encryption, industry best practice if followed by vendors will dictate it is disabled. SSH is a secure alternative, and that might be available on your device.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Jan-19 22:37:53
Print Post

Just out of curiosity, does the DVR offer something called “XMEye P2P Cloud” to view video images remotely?

If so, you might want to read this.

As ukhardy07 states, telnet isn't secure and should never be used for remote access. FTP is also completely insecure. SSH may be more secure but not all implementations of SSH are secure. You may also have a password which is weak or the device may have a hardcoded default admin password which cannot be changed.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User dwg1
(regular) Sun 27-Jan-19 02:10:51
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thank you everyone for your quality input. The DVR isn't exposed to the Web, but does have the cloud capabilities that has been mentioned (thank you for that link, it was interesting reading) smile . The DVR is connected to my LAN with a false gateway address (the DVR won't accept a blank gateway). IPv6 is a unknown (it won't let me access the configuration applet), and returns a "get config from device failed" message. IPv6 is disabled on the router, with all ports set to stealth. I shall look into SSH, and reply in due course. Thanks once again smile
Standard User dwg1
(regular) Sun 27-Jan-19 23:43:11
Print Post

I tried SSH, again no go... seems silly though that I can ping the box...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to