Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cjlhessing
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-19 18:15:19
Print Post

Time to replace the 'smart hub' with something else! HELP?!?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, thanks for taking to time to help me out here.

So I have infinity with the smart hub 6 (bleh) previously had a HG612 3B (not unlicked) ruining with an apple router but the smart hub 6 was faster so out that went. Wifi is pretty atrocious and I hate the smart hub's inability to do anything so like everyone else, I wanna change it.

Crucial info if you can call it that:
Exchange UPTON PARK is served by Cabinet 57
(Cab 57 along with all others for the exchange is a Huawei according to a lookup service)
Huawei = Broadcom if I'm not mistaken?

So I'm looking at a separate modem/router so that I can tinker and not screw up the monitoring that happens when the connection looks like its down. Ie they reduce the speed.

Theres the Vigor 130 but people say it's best with the ECI cabs and not so fantastic in general for Broadcom.
Theres the HG612 3B unlocked via eBay which is Huawei/broadcom but seems an earlier chipset than the smarthub hence the smarthub syncs faster.
Theres also a Billion modem and a Netgear which nobody seems to like lol.

Are there ANY other options out there?
Does anyone here run one of those on a Huawei cab and have decent results?

EDIT: someone just mention the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A modem as a preferred one nowadays.

Thanks guys and girls for the help.
Bit flummoxed at the mo lol.

Chris.

Edited by cjlhessing (Tue 29-Jan-19 18:44:21)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Jan-19 20:15:31
Print Post

Re: Time to replace the 'smart hub' with something else! HEL

[re: cjlhessing] [link to this post]

The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A is a router which can be run in modem (bridge) mode. I use an ebay one. There is quite a bit about them on the Kitz forum.

Michael Chare
Standard User cjlhessing
(newbie) Tue 29-Jan-19 21:33:19
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Hey Michael, thanks for the confirmation! Im having a read on that site - so much knowledge lol will take me time to absorb it all.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pxr5
(regular) Wed 30-Jan-19 12:05:34
Print Post

[re: cjlhessing] [link to this post]

I use a Zyxel VMG8924-10A to an ECI cabinet and I saw an increase of 2-3 mbps. I believe these routers have a filter on them to that improves perfomance. I've got DSLStats running on a Raspberry Pi, so getting 24/7 monitoring of my line. If you like to fiddle the Zyxels are great, but also work pretty much out of the box if you want to fire up and go. Again, the Kitz forum will tell you all you need to know about Zyxel routers and DSLStats. I got mine for £30 new off ebay.
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-19 12:16:09
Print Post

[re: pxr5] [link to this post]

I am on a Huawei cabinet and have a Zyxel VMG3925-B10A in modem mode with my ASUS router.

It routinely gives a sync as good as the BT HH6 but will hold it better as SNR goes down at peak times. I am on a long rural line (3300m). I picked it up via ebay and went to Kitz for help in flashing and resetting the supervisor password so I could turn off TR069.
  Print Thread

Jump to