User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User covertsurfer
(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-06 15:10:08
Print Post

Usage Graph

[link to this post]

Since the other day I am a bit concerned over the usage graph.

I had a look today and it thinks I used nearly 300mb yesterday. I dont think so, maybe 100mb MAX.

Has anyone else spotted more recent peculiarities?

Thanks
Standard User Cozzy_NewsShack
(member) Wed 22-Nov-06 15:42:54
Print Post

Re: Usage Graph

[re: covertsurfer] [link to this post]

Hi

brings back memories .. was on Newnet for 3 months earlier this year and in those 3 month the usage meter was broken for two of them ...

now its not a reason to not recommend NewNet as i had outstanding service apart from that but i would raise a ticket if i was you so they at least recognize the issue and dont charge you for miss-readings

not much help but hopefully a little bit

Cozzy

(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-06 15:48:57
Print Post

[re: Cozzy_NewsShack] [link to this post]

Have emailed them to look into it!

Your comment has slightly worried me now that this usage monitor is not very accurate.

Newnet, please look into using better software to monitor our usage.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DarkoD
(member) Wed 22-Nov-06 16:11:48
Print Post

I don't know if you are aware but upload counts too.

I haven't noticed any major difference from what I expect, but on the other hand being on the 25GB package I just make sure the GB numbers are correct.

Besides with both download and upload counted how precise in MB can you be in your estimates?

Cheers.
(newbie) Wed 22-Nov-06 16:17:53
Print Post

[re: DarkoD] [link to this post]

I appreciate that it counts uploads as well but the only internet use I used yesterday was browsing and downloading tunes.

I can estimate that I probably used 150mb
Standard User Hurders
(regular) Wed 22-Nov-06 16:45:17
Print Post

From my experience I think that the usage calculations are a little on the heavy side but not massively different to what I expect.
Standard User blfamily
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Nov-06 18:00:33
Print Post

[re: Hurders] [link to this post]

I'd like to see what I use in figures

Steve
Newnet
Standard User TheLastMan
(experienced) Wed 22-Nov-06 18:00:44
Print Post

Yep, seems to be a minor bug in the system. You will find it sorts itself out over the course of a couple of days. Last week at one point is showed me using 1GB in a day when my usual use is about 30mb. This spurious usage had gone by the next day.

It had no effect on my month end bill so worry not.

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > NEWNET Home 2050 Lite ('05) > NEWNET Home 8050 Lite ('06) > ?
Standard User junderwood
(experienced) Wed 22-Nov-06 22:37:48
Print Post

In reply to:

Newnet, please look into using better software to monitor our usage.

I can't see anything wrong with the ratings here. There was a problem last week which was solved remarkably quickly and our incorrect reports adjusted to show something more credible but on the low side.

Even if your estimate is accurate, the error does not seem excessive when you take into account random noise contributions (e.g. probes). If this were a problem with the metering software, I suggest that a lot of people would have reported it. Last week there was a multitude of reports of error. I had an accurate record of my usage up and down for a couple of years before I joined Newnet. Since then, my usage has remained consistent with that. I doubt whether any discrepancy is due to the Newnet software.
Standard User sb248
(member) Thu 23-Nov-06 13:58:38
Print Post

[re: junderwood] [link to this post]

I think the OP raises a fair point.

Initially, my usage (cumulative) for 17th Nov (when we had the "accident") was revised down to 160.03MB. Later it was revised again, up to 257.31MB. No favours there, but none expected.

Yesterday, 22Nov, I did not use my connection between midnight and 11.00am. At 11.00am precisely, I began a web-browsing session, checked email (none), and finished at precisely 11:48. I recorded my "Internet Gateway" (IG) figures immediately before and after this session, and the difference was precisely 3.95MB. Here's the relevant section of my NN Usage report for that period:

10-00 1.87MB
11-00 4.34MB
12-00 4.39MB

That means - as I understand it - that I had used 1.87MB yesterday by 11.00am, before I actually began using my connection! I've already concluded that "Internet noise" accounts for about 30k an hour, so that does not account for the discrepancy here.

Between 11:48 and 19:11, I browsed a few pages from time to time (mainly checking posts here), and checked my email (none sent/received). Between 19:11 and 20:01 I did another browsing session, using (according to IG) precisely 14.27MB. Here's the rest of my NN Usage report for yesterday:

13-00 4.42MB
14-00 4.46MB
15-00 6.01MB
16-00 6.05MB
17-00 6.10MB
18-00 12.46MB
19-00 20.42MB
20-00 20.46MB
21-00 20.50MB

That is not an accurate record of my usage during that period - I was not using my connection at all between 5.00 and 6.00pm!

I agree that "over time" (since I started with NN on 14Nov), my overall usage is "about right". But that's not the point ... the hourly reports are not accurate or reliable. The Usage report does not inspire me with any confidence.

I wonder who is actually measuring our usage? Are NN just relaying usage reports provided by BTw, or are they actively measuring usage themselves? If the latter is the case, then I really don't understand why we can't have an accurate, up-to-date and continuous (inc. 10.00pm - midnight) report of usage.

sb248
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to