User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User expipexer
(learned) Fri 25-Feb-11 09:56:30
Print Post

New Look Website

[link to this post]

In case you're a bit dumb like me ...after spending several frustrating minutes trying to find out how to log in to my account....the log in link for customers is right down the bottom of the page on the blue banner that runs along the bottom of the page
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Feb-11 10:58:39
Print Post

Re: New Look Website

[re: expipexer] [link to this post]

Ummm frown, re the whole thing.

Looks like the residential market is very much a minor consideration now. Even the "Tab" in tabbed browsing says "Business ISP".

It went a bit that way of course when Timico took over. The days of encouraging low-level off-peak consumers, to help pay for capacity, seem to have gone.

What's this?

"The South’s ISP". And another complete management revamp.

Still, so long as the service,
in particular CS;

doesn't decline,
it should be fine.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User dave29
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 11:50:29
Print Post

[re: expipexer] [link to this post]

I didn't manage to find it at all and had to email them. I must be even more dumb than you if it's any consolation!

They are going to move the link to a 'more appropriate place' apparently. Still, the speed of their response suggests that CS is still as good as ever.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Fri 25-Feb-11 12:01:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ummm frown, re the whole thing.

Looks like the residential market is very much a minor consideration now. Even the "Tab" in tabbed browsing says "Business ISP".

It went a bit that way of course when Timico took over. The days of encouraging low-level off-peak consumers, to help pay for capacity, seem to have gone.

What's this?

I manage my mother in law's ADSL account, that is on NewNet's LLU service in Basingstoke. I received an e-mail this week from NewNet saying the connection will be migrated soon to BT's 21C network. On enquiring further, their CS dept told me that the Basingstoke LLU kit of theirs is being removed, hence the migration back to a BT Wholesale connection frown

The account is a low user 3GB/Month, at 8 Quid/month, lower priced and higher capped than the equivalent BTW provided service, though they told me in this case that won't change unless I decide to regrade the service.

Is it just the Basingstoke LLU service being ditched, or the other half dozen as well I wonder ?

Edited by broadbandjockey (Fri 25-Feb-11 12:02:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Feb-11 12:04:55
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Is it just the Basingstoke LLU service being ditched, or the other half dozen as well I wonder ?
No idea sorry, no doubt others will have the same email though.

It would make sense. The Newnet LLU always was a bit of a side product and I doubt if it is worth the effort and expense.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User Hockeychap
(committed) Sat 26-Feb-11 08:54:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Side product it may be but it's served me well. I'm just about as far away from the exchange as you can go and still get a signal. Because of variances in the line on non-LLU kit I'd frequently drop down to a profile of 512K - 1MB (all the usual reasons) from a mostly stable speed bucket of 1.5Mb.

On LLU I generally get between 2 and 2.3Mb (and yes there's still some variance) but it's generally been more tolerant of line errors etc and I'd be sad to see it go.

Cheers,

Justin
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Feb-11 09:04:49
Print Post

[re: Hockeychap] [link to this post]

Yes frown. BT DLM is murder to poor lines. It's like amputating someone's leg below the knee because of the pain they are getting from a broken ankle.

Is there anything else worthwhile on the exchange? Please post the link to what samknows says.

Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 09:33:13
Print Post

[re: Hockeychap] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hockeychap:
Side product it may be but it's served me well. I'm just about as far away from the exchange as you can go and still get a signal. Because of variances in the line on non-LLU kit I'd frequently drop down to a profile of 512K - 1MB (all the usual reasons) from a mostly stable speed bucket of 1.5Mb.

On LLU I generally get between 2 and 2.3Mb (and yes there's still some variance) but it's generally been more tolerant of line errors etc and I'd be sad to see it go.

Same for me, I've got a 5.5km line, I deliberately held out and kept a fixed BTW connection at 1 Mb/s because I was afraid if I regraded to a dynamic connection I'd suffer BT's useless DLM system. That only ever predicted a connection of 1.5 Mb/s. Three years ago NewNet offered to switch me to their LLU, and it was superb, 2.5 to 3 Mb/s and stable, thanks to SRA being used. I've since switched to FTTC via IDNet last October, I was very sorry to leave NewNet, because of their superb service, but with the news that LLU is going (at least from my exchange) it's just as well now !

Mother in law gets 8 Meg d/s and 557k u/s on a 4km line, It'll be interesting to see how that performs when migrated to BT 21C. It'll also be interesting to see how long she's able to keep her legacy 3Gig cap at UKP 8:16/m !!!!
Standard User normsland
(learned) Sat 26-Feb-11 17:09:52
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I think it's a bit of a shame that they seem to have dumped the ADSL2+ packages that they announced at the tail end of last year because some of them seemed to be pretty good value. It seems that like that like RobertoS has said they are turning there back on residential customers. Oh well if BT ever get around to 21CN'ing my exchange they are still other good providers that offer ADSL2+ for me to migrate from my Home M (12GB per month) product to. A bit of shame but not surprising really.
Standard User MrBeeline
(member) Sat 26-Feb-11 20:51:08
Print Post

[re: normsland] [link to this post]

Damn... just as I was about to upgrade to their unlimited package (well.. up to 50GB). Certainly not at £30+VAT though!

I'll have to give it some thought now, maybe ZEN.

PS. A bit disappointed that they don't offer anything between 10GB and 50GB!

----
Mike

Edited by MrBeeline (Sat 26-Feb-11 20:54:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to