User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Wed 25-May-11 13:05:48
Print Post

NewNet joins the FTTC party

[link to this post]

http://www.newnet.co.uk/Services/Broadband/fibre-opt...
Standard User Hockeychap
(committed) Wed 25-May-11 14:24:21
Print Post

Re: NewNet joins the FTTC party

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

Good to see that NN are doing this, particularly as I'm at the tail end of a long LLU connection and get at best 2Mb.

Only downside (from reading the intial blurb) - seems a little expensive when compared to BT's own offering of £25 to add an Infinity based broadband package with the same sorts of spec (sightly higher upload speed and includes free wi-fi access)

Having said that I would probably stay with NewNet given the levels of service I've received. Will make the decision in June (when my exchange is enabled).

Just my two penneth.

Cheers,

Justin
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-May-11 16:24:21
Print Post

[re: Hockeychap] [link to this post]

£45.60 plus £90 connection, and no mention of a router, looks a bit steep to me for 2Mbps upstream and 50GB allowance.

Strangely, their owner - Timico, has a lower-priced entry level package with 10Mbps upload. Unless I'm missing something more important than the number of mailboxes. (Ah- the Timico is a 2-year contract, Newnet I expect is 12-month - I don't see it obviously displayed).

(Edit - fixed the link).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 25-May-11 16:27:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User expipexer
(learned) Thu 26-May-11 19:42:11
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

I was salivating at the chance to at last get a decent line speed with Newnet..........until I went to upgrade and saw the price. For the home user no comparison with the likes of Plusnet or even BT infinity. Unfortunately, I dont think Newnet are bothered with home users and concentrate on business users - who can blame them? cant be much profit from light home users. I'm just weighing up the potential problems and downside of tying myself in with BT but at the moment it looks like the way to go for me.
Standard User MaddogBattie
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-May-11 16:42:52
Print Post

[re: expipexer] [link to this post]

I've just found the date that my local exchange is going to be upgraded to FTTC. The end of 2013 - and will be one of the last to be upgraded in Cornwall. frown

Hopefully by then there will be some more sensible packages available which will enable me to make use of this speed. At the moment, I'm using 30G a month without doing anything illegal so would expect to double this or more with the higher speed link. Unfortunately, bandwidth costs are stupidly high and I can see I won't be able to afford these costs. It may mean that living with 2Mb is going to be the financially sensible thing which is rather sad.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 17:57:26
Print Post

[re: MaddogBattie] [link to this post]

I hate to say it frown, but at the moment for people with that sort of usage and speed, Infinity is far and away the best option for those that can get FTTC.

The Openreach DLM is much better than the WBC one, although the WBC one is undergoing major change live pilots, and it seems to be much better than previously.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to