User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lcdman
(member) Sat 30-Jul-11 13:31:09
Print Post

Trouble @ Newnet?

[link to this post]

Whats happening at Newnet? Major outages yesterday and then the bandwidth tracker screws up and blocks loads of customer's access (including mine!!), it reckoned I used 2 months of my usual bandwidth in under an hour (impossible at 8Mb speed!!).

Things have gone downhill rapidly since this last mob took over - it's not the Newnet i joined anymore frown
Standard User zhango
(newbie) Sat 30-Jul-11 14:52:17
Print Post

Re: Trouble @ Newnet?

[re: lcdman] [link to this post]

I used to be a big critic of the usage meter, particularly when it failed to record off-peak correctly, but since they revamped it there have been no problems at all for me. I was on the point of leaving but the service works great for me so I'm stopping.
Are you sure that the problem was Newnet's fault though?
Standard User lcdman
(member) Sat 30-Jul-11 17:28:30
Print Post

[re: zhango] [link to this post]

Yes - it's definitely Newnet's fault. There is now a message on their support line about "major problems with the bandwidth tracker" and that all affected customers will be "re-connected/unblocked asap". Coupled with yesterdays major outage this does not bode well.

My router stats confirm that the bandwidth tracker is talking [censored] - I use ~3GB a month , they reckon I used 6GB in less than half an hour - at a max download speed of 5.5Mb? - you do the maths!!!

To add to this, after 45 minutes on hold at "customer services", and finally getting from no.12 to no.3 in the queue, they dropped me to a [censored] answering machine - not good customer services!!!

ETA from the Newnet status page;

"Broadband bandwidth usage 30.7.2011
July 30th, 2011 by GM

Newnet would like to advise customers of an issue with the broadband bandwidth usage which has occurred over night. This has resulted in 4-5GB of erroneous usage being applied to all users accounts for this month. This has also unfortunatly resulted in some users being placed automatically on hold for exceeding their monthly allowance. However the cause of the issue has been identified, Newnet engineers are working on the software issue and we anticipate that all affectd users will be back online shortly.

Newnet apologises for the inconvenience caused. Anyone wishing to discuss the matter further should contact the Newnet service desk via email to support@newnet.co.uk or call 0844 8549289
"

Not much [censored] good if you can't actually get on line!

Edited by lcdman (Sat 30-Jul-11 17:33:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User maggiej
(newbie) Sat 30-Jul-11 18:29:24
Print Post

Definitely a Newnet fault.

I received usage email from Newnet this morning to advise that I'd used ALL my allowance - amount 7.38 GB!!. Luckily I had 7.46 GB (inc 4.46 GB prepaid bandwith) so was able to go online and check what was going on. With my basic IT knowledge, even I realised that something was seriously amiss with the usage of 5.02 GB for 29.07.11 in my log.(actual usage 85MB for 29.07.11 on NetWorx). Luckily, I have a bandwith monitor (Networx) running which enables me to keep an eye on my usage and warns me when I've reached 75% of my monthly allowance. I am on their basic 3 GB per month which is fine for me, purchasing additional bandwith as and when rqd just in case. Lucky I had a reserve and was able to still get on line!!

I telephoned them first thing, 0900 hrs to enquire what was going on. Luckily I got thru within a couple of mins and was advised that it would be looked into.

Am now waiting to see if the 5.02 GB (or thereabouts) will be refunded to my account.

This could not have happened at a worse time, ie: month end, as most people are approaching their maximum monthly allowance!!

I've been with Newnet for over 3 years now and have not had any real problems with them. Let's hope this is not a sign of things to come!
Standard User buddyboy
(newbie) Sat 30-Jul-11 19:24:41
Print Post

I lost 4.5 G within 1/2 hour around 9pm last night !

end of the month and a weekend , seems a bit suspicious to me.
Standard User zhango
(learned) Sat 30-Jul-11 22:06:51
Print Post

[re: buddyboy] [link to this post]

Ok it was their fault although for me the Newnet usage meter agrees almost exactly with my own 'Netmeter' so I'm not affected. I've only ever phoned support once which was recently. The phone was answered quickly and the guy was very helpful but I guess on this occasion as a lot of customers were affected the switchboard was overloaded.
I reckon it's a one-off and nothing to worry about.
Standard User zhango
(learned) Mon 01-Aug-11 08:36:24
Print Post

I spoke too soon - usage meter now says I used 115.9% of my allowance for July. I'm hoping they don't invoice me for extra bandwidth!
Standard User maggiej
(newbie) Mon 01-Aug-11 10:17:59
Print Post

Newnet have now up dated the status on this matter:

"Update 0855. 1st Aug: As of late Saturday morning no users will be on hold for exceeding their bandwidth usage. Additionally subsequent investigation has identified that there was a section of broadband users affected rather than allo accounts. The underlying cause of this issue is being investigated and will be resolved as soon as possible. Newnet apologise again for the inconvenience caused."

However, there is definitely something still VERY AMISS with the Newnet Bandwith usage meter figures following on from the blip on 29.07.11.

My NetWorx Monitor usage figures :

30.07 54.2MB Newnet 101MB (86% over)
31.07 495MB Newnet 1070MB (116% over)

Would be interested to learn if anyone else's usage figures are also well in excess of what they should be.

Will be contacting Newnet about this as at this rate everyone's usage will be well over their permitted allowance as the issue has not been addressed. Will also be expecting my prepaid bandwith which was gobbled up to be credited back to put my account back as it should be.

It is indeed strange that in my case the usage blip on 29.07 more or less wiped out my total prepaid bandwith buffer. Am I being overly suspicious??
Standard User zhango
(learned) Mon 01-Aug-11 10:34:08
Print Post

[re: maggiej] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by maggiej:
Am I being overly suspicious??

Well, after the News of the World hacking scandal - perhaps we're all a bit suspicious of everyone?
Standard User zhango
(learned) Mon 01-Aug-11 13:48:36
Print Post

Newnet have told me everything is sorted and the bandwidth usage for the month that was added in error has been removed so will not count towards my monthly usage. They haven't blamed the weather or the recent royal wedding so sounds ok to me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to