User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User expipexer
(regular) Sun 02-Oct-11 11:30:51
Print Post

Bye Bye and Thanks

[link to this post]

I've left. After 6 happy years with Newnet I've gone to BT. Why? because my home uses a very old and very long BT line which always was problematic with dropped connections, slow speeds etc.. Newnet have been wonderfull in the past and together with support I had managed to get an IP profile of 2.3mb up to November of last year, then heavy rain, a fault in the BT line down the road affecting many households, BT engineer "switched the pair" and speeds dropped to 1.4mb or 1.8mb on a good day. Not helped by a 20meter length of aluminium wire to an old connection box inside the front door leading to the master socket in the hall. Hours of wasted time contacting BT to try and get this updated or back to where it was before the line fault to no avail.

Then FTTC became available and an option......Newnet would do a FTTC....great....but the price! Just a no goer for a fairly light home user like me. Newnet were unmoving on their prices which when you consider all things you can't blame them. And I think they prefer business users now anyway. Can't be much profit in the likes of me using around 5gb a month. So with trepidation and reluctance (18 month contract) I switched to BT Infinity. In fact with all the freebee offers and paying for line in advance the cost worked out around £1.50 extra a month over 18 month duration than my Newnet plan.

I asked for my MAC code...got it within 3 hours.....ordered from BT.....installed and running 7 days later.Openreach engineer took one look at the old aluminium line and reported it to be renewd (still waiting on that though) Had a queerie about billing with Newnet...phoned office....call answered within 60 seconds....polite and helpfull conversation and resolved.

So Infinity been going for 5 weeks now. Download speed a steady 35 - 36mb. upoload 1.6mb and as far as I can tell only 1 disconnection in the 5 weeks so far! compared to the ADSL I'm in heaven. Will it last? I'm still a bit sceptical but time will tell.

The reason I'm writing this: Newnet deserve recognition in my opinion for being a top notch company. In all honesty I couldnt fault them over the 6 years I was with them. All my problems encountered during that time were down to BT and Newnet went out of their way to resolve the issues. I never had any problems reaching support and couldn't fault their response and keeping me informed. I would recommend them and will consider re-joining in the future should they figure in any ISP comparisons. So to all you people down there at (the old) Newnet a very BIG THANK YOU for your help and service, I hope the company continues to grow successfuly in the future
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Mon 03-Oct-11 14:26:57
Print Post

Re: Bye Bye and Thanks

[re: expipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by expipexer:
The reason I'm writing this: Newnet deserve recognition in my opinion for being a top notch company. In all honesty I couldnt fault them over the 6 years I was with them. All my problems encountered during that time were down to BT and Newnet went out of their way to resolve the issues. I never had any problems reaching support and couldn't fault their response and keeping me informed. I would recommend them and will consider re-joining in the future should they figure in any ISP comparisons. So to all you people down there at (the old) Newnet a very BIG THANK YOU for your help and service, I hope the company continues to grow successfuly in the future

I would second all those comments. I was with NewNet for four years, I cannot fault their service.

A year ago FTTC came along, and I was able to ditch my lousy 5.5 km line, which via their ADSL2 LLU service gave me a reasonably stable 2.7 Mb/s connection. I left them a year ago, but regretted letting them go.

My mother in law was also on their LLU package, 3 GB for 8 pounds/m, worked perfectly, until regrettably NewNet ditched LLU connections in her town (Basingstoke). She was migrated to BT C21 ADSL. Very unstable, in the end I manually forced the router to ADSL 1, which actually gave a higher sync speed ! However Mother-in-law recently discovered BBC i player, her 3 GB allowance with NewNet was not enough, so I migrated her last month to Plusnet at 6:50/m for 10 GB. Again, sorry to say goodbye to NewNet.

My parents are still with them, rural exchange so 1GB for £11/m, they've yet to discover i-player smile

Edited by broadbandjockey (Mon 03-Oct-11 14:28:29)

Print Thread

Jump to