User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User norvil
(newbie) Sun 23-Oct-11 14:57:35
Print Post

Newnet home lite off peak times

[link to this post]

Hello,
Can someone please tell me the off peak times for my home lite pakage ? I have tried downloading after 1.00am and it still registers as peak. I notice that the new product called essential, has a off peak with unlimited downloads from 12.00-7.00 Would I be better switching to this (£11/month) and what disadvantages are there ?
Best regards,
Standard User norvil
(newbie) Wed 26-Oct-11 20:21:38
Print Post

Re: Newnet home lite off peak times

[re: norvil] [link to this post]

As I haven't received any answers I thought I would reply as I have now found the infoformation from Newnet. The home lite package off peak is strangely 2.00 am to 6.59 while the new package esential is 12.00 to 7.00 I pay yearly and receive a discount but the new package is monthly only with a dynamic ip address. My home lite is a fixed ip address. I am not sure if this is of benefit to me but most people think it is good ?
Regards,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Oct-11 20:28:04
Print Post

smile
This isn't being rude, but if you don't know what a fixed IP address is for, or why it might be good, then you don't need one.

Basically a fixed IP address is useful if you wish to access your computer from other places on the internet, for instance if you are running a web server or an email server on your home computer.

I'm surprised to hear that Newnet Lite has a fixed IP address. It didn't when I was on it. Unless you are paying extra for that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User norvil
(learned) Wed 26-Oct-11 22:16:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello,
I know you'r not being rude but just because I didn't know about the value of a fixed IP address doesn't mean I am about to throw it away by switching to another plan. Iv'e learnt a lot from yourself and people on this forum and that is why i'm with Newnet, although things may have changed since then. My existing package has served me well using it for my small business but recently due to a family member returning to the nest and giving my bandwidth a belting (gaming) I or he may have to look to something different.
Best regards,
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Thu 27-Oct-11 00:18:44
Print Post

When I wanted to switch to the new type of packages I asked if I could keep my static IP and I have,

It's my understanding that existing NewNet users with a static IP were not changed onto dynamic as part of a "regrade" (I guess it would also be extra administrative work). I can't promise that is still the case though!

Whether it is any advantage depends how you use your connection. At its simplest if there is anything (or a particular service) that is always on at home that you might want to have access to remotely a static public IP is useful (even if that is just access to your router). For some people that would be a (network attached) storage drive or perhaps a webcam.

Another example is if you are providing remote computer assistance to friends and family from home, having a static IP makes it easier to setup their firewalls to allow you in, or for their computer to make a reverse connection back to you, for VNC or screen sharing.

Similar applies for working from home as it provides something extra the office firewall can check before it lets you in whether for VPN or just a remote desktop session (for the latter it would know what computer to forward you onto).

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Oct-11 09:33:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm surprised to hear that Newnet Lite has a fixed IP address. It didn't when I was on it.
frown
Memory failure, sorry - I just checked back on my tbb speed test results. Static IP.

Still only needed in the cases since described by others smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User tonypart
(newbie) Thu 27-Oct-11 13:27:08
Print Post

Having just undergone the regrade from Lite to Essential. I can confirm that the static IP option is part of the regrade order page. I also made sure I could stay on a monthly contract before I changed.
My main reason for changing was that Lite is "up to 8 meg"amd Essential gives me ADSL2+ on WBC. Also I was able to specify "uncapped" upload speed (if you don't then they still give you 448Kbps)
Hope this helps

Tony
Standard User norvil
(learned) Thu 27-Oct-11 20:38:35
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input, I will bear it in mind and probably switch when my existing package is up for renewal soon. I am glad to hear that there is still someone else left at Newnet !
Best regards,
  Print Thread

Jump to