User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bemused_Mike
(member) Wed 28-Dec-11 19:55:09
Print Post

Mac code & notice period

[link to this post]

Could someone please tell me if you request a mac code from Newnet does that mark the beginning of the 30 day notice period they require when moving to another ISP?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Dec-11 20:28:11
Print Post

Re: Mac code & notice period

[re: Bemused_Mike] [link to this post]

Yes.
Process for migrations away and cessation

The following process is for migrations away and cessation of broadband. Please bear in mind that each case is individual.

Customer chooses to terminate their service or request MAC code.

If the customer selects 'migrate' then they will be emailed a MAC code which will normally arrive in their inbox within 10 minutes.
The customer is then asked to settle their account. We assume a 30 day notice period and calculate monies due.
We look for any excess bandwidth and calculate money due and raise an invoice.
We look for any unpaid invoices and calculate any credit due and apply to the unpaid invoice.
If the customer pays by Direct Debit and we have requested money from the bank (up to 10 working days prior to the due date) then we will credit the money to any excess b/w invoice.
We check to see if they are within 12 months service and if so apply any additional charges due, eg £11+VAT migration fee or any difference between full set up charge and our reduced charges.
We check if the service is or has been Home LITE 12 with a minimum 12 month term and calculate money due for remainder of the term.
If the customer has requested 'termination', then a BT imposed termination charge is applicable.
If our system cannot complete the settlement of account calculations for any reason then the customer will be asked to contact NewNet directly.
Near the bottom of this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-11 21:31:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No provision made for unused MACs, except perhaps "bear in mind that each case is individual".

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Dec-11 22:17:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The MAC expires in 30 days of course. Elesewhere in the FAQs Newnet state that if it is not used then the customer needs to inform them that they should reinstate the Direct Debit.

This was always the case, both before and after the sale to Timico.

No problem.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(member) Thu 29-Dec-11 19:19:13
Print Post

Many thanks for the replies and info. smile It's good to know these things.
(member) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:34:52
Print Post

Another question, if I may.

Are you still able to use the ISP based e-mail throughout the 30 day notice period, or do Newnet shut that down when you request a mac code?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:40:38
Print Post

As far as I know you can use it. Awkwardly though, the minute you migrate they close it and delete everything.

I advise a prior move to an ISP-independent email provider. Then you never have to consider this again, and never again have to tell anyone you have changed address. I don't like freebies, but your own domain and email and/or web space costs £1.20 per month or less. (Paid upfront annually).

(member) Mon 02-Jan-12 22:53:10
Print Post

Thank for replying Roberto.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Awkwardly though, the minute you migrate they close it and delete everything.

I have no issue with this practice. A clean break is good for all I suppose, no loose ends to tie up. Just be sure you've got yourself covered before your time runs out, eh?

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I advise a prior move to an ISP-independent email provider.

I fully intend on doing this. Still doing my research in to it though.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 23:05:12
Print Post

I fully intend on doing this. Still doing my research in to it though.
I'm very pleased with my current choice, with the quality and response time of support a key factor in that.

As I was unsure how to migrate my several domains plus web spaces and emails from Purple Cloud, having short-listed them on little but gut feel I needed to ask questions as I'd never done it before.

The answers were the clincher. Rapid, helpful, and clear. As have been my two or three subsequent ones.

They are far from the cheapest, and there is no email-only package. But I have several domains on them email only, just don't use the web space.

Standard User MaddogBattie
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Jan-12 09:22:42
Print Post

I use nethosted.co.uk for webhosting/email - very helpful support when needed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to