User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User auldgit
(newbie) Tue 14-May-13 23:37:12
Print Post

newnet usage problems

[link to this post]

Hi, I am new here so be patient!!

Since the 1st of May my usage has suddenly shot up, as i am on a capped package i check it regularly.I received an e-mail from NewNet saying i was over my limit and when i checked it it showed usage at times when my computer was not even on, even during the night.
My router has a changed password to be able to get into it, my wireless is encrypted and secured with a long password and my ip address is changed from the default. Newnet are trying to tell me it is my router- a "TP-LINK" as them and "BILLION" make routers are being hacked and suggest buying a new router " possibly netgear as they dont get hacked" !! are they pulling my chain? it seems a coincidence the they have done system upgrades and then emergency repairs on exactly the same day my problems started. I do not mind repacing my router but not if it is their problem and i am just being "fobbed off" until they sort the problem.

Are any other member having problems with NewNet?? all replies would be appreciated
thx
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-May-13 00:14:45
Print Post

Re: newnet usage problems

[re: auldgit] [link to this post]

X-posting not allowed! Choose between here and ISP Unhappiness and delete t'other.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User zhango
(regular) Wed 15-May-13 09:29:53
Print Post

I've been with Newnet for over 6 years and I stay with them because it's a great service - no problems with usage meter for me at the moment.

Several years ago the usage meter was sometimes going wrong, particularly when recording the night 'off-peak' usage, but has been ok since they revamped it.

I've only phoned customer service once and the response was very helpful although the fault turned out to be a BT problem anyway - Newnet actually phoned me back in the evening to check that everything was working ok. In my opinion Newnet are not the sort of company to 'fob-off' anyone with a problem as you are talking to technical people and not someone reading from a script in an overseas call centre.

The fact that there are not many posts in the Newnet section either means that they have no customers or everyone is happy! smile

(Nothing special about my router - a second-hand BT Voyager bought from eBay)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User napolibill
(regular) Thu 16-May-13 21:55:14
Print Post

[re: zhango] [link to this post]

My experience of Newnet has also always been good. A couple of times the bandwidth monitor has gone awry but a quick telephone call to their very helpful Customer Support has resolved the problem. I'm sometimes tempted to migrate because I can find a slightly cheaper option but, I feel the quality of service and support is always worth that little bit extra I pay.

Just my two penneth.
Standard User agonoid
(newbie) Fri 24-May-13 21:00:10
Print Post

I am delighted to find this thread because I have been having EXACTLY the same problem with Newnet - usage gone completely crazy since 1 May apart from 7-16 May when it settled down for a few days. I have a Billion router, one which they supplied. No usage shows up when the router is turned off but it does whenever it's turned on, even if the PC is not logged into it.

I am intending to call support tomorrow morning and will report back what they say.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 24-May-13 23:03:51
Print Post

[re: agonoid] [link to this post]

Significant usage, or tiny - 1 or 2 MB in an hour for instance? I forget the exact figure but that used to be a common problem if sessions have not been closed when you turn off the computer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User agonoid
(newbie) Fri 24-May-13 23:13:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Significant. My average daily usage is about 50-100 MB. Suddenly I'm getting 475, 450, 484... 1st and 3rd May it was over 750.... As soon as you turn the router on, the WLAN light (I only use it via wifi) starts going bananas, regardless of what is plugged in.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 24-May-13 23:36:20
Print Post

Newnet count upload. Is P2P/torrenting uploading anything that you aren't aware of? Are you running anything like NetWorx or tbbMeter? They let you see traffic graphs in real time much more easily than the Windows performance monitors. They will tell you whether or not Netnet are correct.

Though the Windows one I believe should tell you what is doing it, if it is true.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 24-May-13 23:37:25)

Standard User agonoid
(newbie) Sat 25-May-13 09:57:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tipoff about the Networx (I've never been able to get the ThinkBB one to work properly).

I have now called Newnet Support and a very helpful chap explained that it was an exploit on Billion and some other routers that has only just been discovered by the miscreant community. At the start of the month it wasn't obvious, but so many people have reported the problem now that Newnet and other ISPs have been able to spot its signature pattern. He dictated instructions for a IP/Mac Filter Listing rule on the router that should fix it.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 25-May-13 10:11:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by agonoid:
He dictated instructions for a IP/Mac Filter Listing rule on the router that should fix it.
What are the details of the fix?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to