User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MaddogBattie
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Apr-15 11:54:38
Print Post

Slow Speeds - Windows Updates - Really?

[link to this post]

Our broadband speeds have dropped from the normal 2Mb/s or so down to the point where loading a speed tester times out. Basically unusable.

Current Timico status:

Services Affected Broadband, MPLS
Start Time April 15th 2015 8:30am
End Time April 15th 2015 1:00pm
Description We would like to advise customers that we are currently seeing a reduction in broadband speeds across our ADSL and FTTC customers.

We suspect that this may be related to a large number of software updates released by Microsoft and Google, however we are currently investigating this problem and attempting to alleviate the situation.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

Really? I can understand a network capping out due to unusual demand though this still is poor. However, if it degrades by knocking out people on 2Mb/s links then something must be wrong. Surely it should just degrade so that everyone has 50% of their normal speeds or something. Maybe a minimum of 100kb/s for everyone so at least we can at least load the odd webpage to find out what is going on.
Standard User proxima
(newbie) Wed 15-Apr-15 13:20:58
Print Post

Re: Slow Speeds - Windows Updates - Really?

[re: MaddogBattie] [link to this post]

I'm having a similar problem (although my ADSL connection is still showing the normal speed - around 8Mbps - in the router, my connection is next to useless).

The whole "MS and Google updates" thing sounds a bit odd. Presumably if that was the case *all* ISPs would be having a similar problem - unless NewNet are much closer to capacity than others and this has tipped them over the edge?

Either way, I've got just enough connection to Google "Zen" and "Andrews and Arnold", and unless NewNet give us a real assurance that they've fixed the underlying problem, I'm out of here. I've lost half a day's income already, and I just can't afford for this to happen at all often.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Apr-15 13:22:51
Print Post

[re: proxima] [link to this post]

Would you add Idnet to that list?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User proxima
(newbie) Wed 15-Apr-15 13:33:49
Print Post

Never heard of them (to be fair, I've been with NewNet since 2008, and this is the first problem I've had that I can remember - and I use my connection pretty solidly for about 12 hours most days). But yes, I will certainly add them to my list.

So I haven't shopped around much, and I won't chuck NewNet out straight away. But I'm annoyed that it took them so long to get a status message up (it *wasn't* up at 8am like it says - it was showing all green when I rang at 10:30am). And their "MS updates" excuse doesn't convince me, unless they're much closer to capacity than most other ISPs in the country who are having no problems at all according to everyone I know.
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Apr-15 13:38:23
Print Post

Agreed.

Support had been swamped so that sales were answering phones so they knew there was an issue but nothing on the website until later.

Been with Newnet for ages with £20 unlimited which has been working fine for the most part. Thinking of moving now though.
Standard User 961a
(learned) Wed 15-Apr-15 14:01:34
Print Post

Much the same here this morning, rubbish speeds, and I'm with BT internet

So don't rush to judgements about your ISP

All back to normal now
Standard User proxima
(newbie) Wed 15-Apr-15 14:12:23
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Fair enough - that is worth knowing, thanks.
In reply to a post by 961a:
Much the same here this morning, rubbish speeds, and I'm with BT internet
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Apr-15 17:31:12
Print Post

Back working here now
Standard User dheaven
(newbie) Thu 16-Apr-15 06:30:53
Print Post

As another long-time NewNet customer, I agree that the tardy acknowledgement of this latest issue on their status page and their less than convincing explanation is unacceptable. Regrettably, it has also prompted me to start investigating alternative ISP's.

MaddogBattie, what is your "£20 unlimited" tariff called? I am on "Essential" (3 GB per month for £11 (ex VAT)) but apparently my only upgrade path to "Unlimited" would cost me £70 (ex VAT) per month!
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Apr-15 09:29:06
Print Post

[re: dheaven] [link to this post]

It was an offer I grabbed years ago. Long since ended I'm afraid.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to