User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User user7423
(committed) Mon 06-Jul-15 21:56:43
Print Post

Re: Timico - beware slamming

[re: Neil_A] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reply.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jul-15 22:22:34
Print Post

Hi Neil

I was on Coms but migrated shortly after the takeover announcement was made. A friend of mine was also with Coms but left a few month back (even before the takeover was completed), yet he still got the "Welcome to Timico" email last month. He is abit worried now that Timico still think he is a Coms customer and will try to migrate his line even though he isnt with them anymore.

I told him that Coms probably didnt remove you from the email list, but i assume Timico know which customers have left Coms recently?
ISP Representative Neil_A
(isp) Tue 07-Jul-15 14:10:05
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Hi

We're only planning to migrate customers who are currently active on the Coms RADIUS servers. If we try to place an order and they're already in the 10 day process of moving to another provider, then we're not able to place an order. So hopefully we shouldn't have any issues with ex-customers or soon-to-be-ex-customers being migrated. We'll email all before the moves too, so there's another safety net where we can cancel any in-flight orders placed in error.

But it's fair to say Coms was in some financial and operational distress, so data isn't perfect and we're trying to do the best we can with the information we have.

Thanks

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-15 14:50:54
Print Post

Thanks. I assume its not possible to place an order on a line Coms dpnt own anymore too? I know my username was still active a week after i left and may still be even though my account was closed

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 07-Jul-15 14:54:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:33:21
Print Post

Even if an order is placed then the new migration system should generate a notification letter from the existing provider on the line and you can then take the steps to cancel the move.

This is better than in the old days when an ISP selling its users could bulk generate the MAC and the end-user be non the wiser.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(isp) Tue 07-Jul-15 17:19:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,
True. Although we've already had a few examples of us sending a customer a NoT letter saying their line is going - we contact the customer to advise them of this and they have no idea where the order has come from. We can't even tell them which ISP they need to contact to cancel the order (that they've supposedly placed)!
N

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
www.timico.co.uk
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-15 17:33:22
Print Post

I thought the losing ISP (in the cases above Timico) could cancel an order?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Jul-15 18:01:06
Print Post

A1.2 The Losing Provider shall only be permitted to use Cancel Other in the following circumstances:
(a) where Slamming has occurred;
(b) at the Customer’s request, where the Gaining Provider has failed to cancel the Transfer Order after being directed by the Customer to do so (“Failure to Cancel”);
(c) where the telephone line is or will be, ceased during the Transfer Period (“Line Cease”);
(d) for other specified reasons not related to a Customer’s request to cancel a transfer, as agreed by the relevant industry forum and approved by Ofcom; and
(e) in such other circumstances as defined by Ofcom.
A1.3 Before using Cancel Other in cases of Slamming and/or Failure to Cancel, the Losing Provider shall take reasonable steps to establish that Slamming and/or Failure to Cancel has actually taken place.
General Condition 22 Appendix A (start of), September 2014.

A.1.2(a) would seem to apply.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-15 18:13:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So in the case above where the users had no idea where the order had come from, Timico would be allowed to cancel as it would come under slamming

(b) at the Customer’s request, where the Gaining Provider has failed to cancel the Transfer Order after being directed by the Customer to do so (“Failure to Cancel”);

And what happens if the gaining ISP say they will cancel and dont? By the time you find out the 10 days notice period could be over
(isp) Tue 07-Jul-15 20:51:45
Print Post

Indeed. And even if we do 'slam' the order we still can't tell the customer who placed an order with which provider.

Like all process changes it is early days. When MAC was first introduced it was problematic for the first couple of months but then all the ISPs got their acts together.

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
www.timico.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to