User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(newbie) Sun 03-Jul-16 14:27:56
Print Post

Timico FTTC products

[link to this post]

I have been a happy NewNet/Timico customer for 10+ years - currently on their CP Enterprise Broadband ADSL UL 1H16 package.

My village, Catherington, served by the Horndean Exchange will very shortly have a long awaited FTTC service available.

I am inclined to switch to one of Timico's FTTC offerings; I know the contract is 24 months, and they are not the cheapest, but they have to date served me well.

I would however appreciate comments from others using one of Timico's FTTC offerings, as my experience to date has only been of their ADSL service.

My second question is more difficult. I am chairman of The Catherington Village Residents' Association and a number of locals have asked my advice on switching ISPs. I'm happy to recommend Timicio to business users, but am not sure they are seeking new "residential" users.

I also feel that some many not be happy with a name which is not familiar to them so I anticipate that as usual BT will benefit !

NJSS
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 03-Jul-16 17:06:10
Print Post

Re: Timico FTTC products

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

If I were you, I wouldn't recommend them http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/f/4454516-...

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User NJSS
(newbie) Sun 03-Jul-16 23:10:50
Print Post

Timico FTTC products

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks BayBoy

I have read that thread, but it differs from my experience.

The NewNet/Timico support people have been brilliant when I have had a little niggle, but put simply I am a satisfied customer after c. 10 years.

NJSS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jul-16 23:39:27
Print Post

I will warn you that whilst ISP's have been known for outstanding ADSL performance that when switching to Fibre (FTTC) their can be issues... specially around congestion and capacity on the ISP's networks...

I've experienced this first hand and it seems to be a trend for smaller ISP's.

As far as Fibre for the average Residential household I'd recommend BT/Sky personally but it depends on what other services people have...

Those with Sky TV should go ahead and get Sky Broadband, but those who might have mobile with EE or Vodafone could consider getting broadband added to their accounts and might get better offer or even switching their mobile tariffs to BT Mobile....

In most cases I would just tell them to call their existing providers and see what they can offer as it often means for good deal and less hassle switching services.

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Huawei HG612 + Archer C9
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac
SkyFibre - 39998/9995kbps - Sky Q Hub
ISP Representative Neil_A
(isp) Mon 04-Jul-16 09:04:43
Print Post

Hi NJSS,

Glad to hear you've been happy with your ADSL service - we aim to please smile

You're right to say that we're mainly a business ISP, but we have many thousands of residential customers UK-wide. Some being home-based businesses, but the majority being normal residential households. So we're very happy to welcome new customers to our services whether they are residential customers or businesses.

We use BT Wholesale and TalkTalk Business to supply ADSL and FTTC, depending on location. Because the majority of our customers are businesses the busiest times on our network are typically 10am to 6pm, during which time we prioritise VoIP traffic. During the recent daytime England game we saw a 300% increase in our normal daytime bandwidth demand and still coped well without complaints.

Other more residential ISPs have a busier network in the evenings and at weekend than we do. So ironically - although we don't advertise ourselves as a residential ISP our network is lightening fast at evenings and weekends because it is basically our quiet time. Our customer service and tech support is open 8am-6pm Monday to Saturday. We typically answer the phone in under 30 seconds and you can avoid the 0844 costs by calling 01636 858919.

Hope that helps and you do choose to go with us, but good look whoever you decide to use.

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
Timico Ltd
www.timico.co.uk
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Thu 21-Jul-16 12:42:45
Print Post

I certainly wouldn't recommend Timico, in my experience customer service is appalling when you have a problem.

(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 13:05:10
Print Post

[re: chrimbow] [link to this post]

chrimbow

I note what you say, but am I correct in thinking that you were a customer of Coms, which was recently acquired by Timico?

Are you saying that Timico's customer service is, in your experience appalling, or are you referring to Coms?

I ask as I have, to date, found NewNet/Tinico's customer service to be first class, and have recommended others to them for this reason.

NJSS
Standard User chrimbow
(committed) Thu 21-Jul-16 22:15:05
Print Post

Never had an issue when I was with Coms, the level of service from both tech and customer support was very poor on all of the several occasions I had dealings with Timico though.

(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 11:36:59
Print Post

Timico Support - 'phone number

[re: Neil_A] [link to this post]

Hi Neil

You wrote:-

you can avoid the 0844 costs by calling 01636 858919.

Thanks that's very helpful.

The number you gave appeared to be unobtainable for a couple of hours this morning.

However I was able to speak to your support team and all is OK now.

Nigel

Edited by NJSS (Mon 25-Jul-16 13:23:57)

Print Thread

Jump to