User comments on ISPs
  >> NewNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User matzi11a
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 19:35:33
Print Post

Dear Valued Customer

[link to this post]

I am writing to inform you that following a review of our Broadband pricing structure, it was found that some of our broadband charges were on old legacy rates which are no longer available as they are below wholesale costs. Whilst we have strived to keep you on these original rates, we will now unfortunately have to pass on a proportion of the price differential, however please be assured that as a long standing valued customer we have still kept your pricing discounted when compared to our current standard rates.

Your New Service Charges going forward from June 2017 will be:

xxxxxxx
FTTC 80/20 (250Gb)
£41.00
*please note above pricing is ex. VAT

We'd love you to stay with MintTec and we think there are some good reasons why you should.

As a MintTec Customer you get:
· Dedicated account management
· Personal support case handling to give you complete reassurance
A broadband provider with a wealth of technological knowledge - What We Do : Cloud Services / IT Support / IT Consultancy / IT Networks / IT Hardware / Connectivity / Cyber Security / Data Storage /Business Phone Systems (VoIP) / Virtualisation

Kind Regards
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-May-17 21:36:51
Print Post

Re: Dear Valued Customer

[re: matzi11a] [link to this post]

How much are you paying for broadband and for line rental/calls right now? How much do you actually use per month? Plus, do you use the landline much for either outgoing or incoming calls? Who is the landline with?

I left Newnet years ago, having found them excellent, and never regretted it. My reason was my need to exceed the then 3GB limit on my service and the exhorbitant cost of the next step up.

Out of sheer fondness engendered by that excellence I have followed their fortunes. With increasing dismay. Then witnessing a dramatic drop in customer-friendly attitude by Timico when they bought them. IIRC many people left within months.

I am sure that Timico only bought Newnet for their decent-sized business customer base. (Note that pricing plus vat rather than inclusive denotes a business ISP with retail just a contributor to overheads).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-May-17 21:37:22)

Standard User matzi11a
(newbie) Tue 09-May-17 22:11:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

hi, thanks for reply.

i think currently its 42 (inc vat, i am a business user so the vat thing is fair) and line is with BT no phone connected for years, regular rates i guess.

ive had excellent uptime and speeds with newn... mintte.... timi or whatever, i wasnt considering moving.

afaik costs are on the way down rather than up, thats certainly true in london with firms like hyperoptic about.

i have high usage but main bulk at night inline with fair usage policy, reliability and speed is key for me during the day.

any suggestions/advice gratefully received

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-May-17 22:38:34
Print Post

I thought you were complaining about prices going up smile.

No recommendation re the broadband if you are happy with that, but you could do what I did with your phone line. Move it to Pulse8broadband. I expect the business one would be your preference, for possibly a day faster response time on faults.

The Home one does for me with caller display. Costs me £14pm, plus a tiny number of calls, usually under 10p.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63086/13719Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-May-17 22:38:57)

Standard User matzi11a
(newbie) Wed 10-May-17 08:34:41
Print Post

yes they went up about 7 quid which in % terms seems quite a hike, plus are wholesale prices actually going up?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-May-17 10:18:33
Print Post

Seems expensive but if you are happy fair play to you.

As a reference point, I pay £25.99 for 55Mbps BT Infinity 1 (retention's deal) that price includes the line rental charges also.

TalkTalk offered me fibre for £27 inc line rental when I cancelled.

Never had any downtime or slowdowns.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 11:01:31
Print Post

OPenreach line rentals have been falling for years bar a very short spell of a single small rise that was years ago as well. There is no good reason for any ISP to be raising line prices as dramatically as they are. They are simply cross-subsidising their "free" add-ons to broadband like Sport, cloud storage and the like.

Pulse8 are only one of many offering rentals and calls at low prices, and still making a profit from that. I and a few others use them because the support is good and the line is the line is the line smile. It either works or goes wrong and Openreach will fix it, whichever ISP you have your broadband with.

Standard User matzi11a
(newbie) Wed 10-May-17 11:36:47
Print Post

thanks, pulse8 www site certainly gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. no fluff just straight to the point, i'll chat to minttec on phone and see what they say but i think the writings probably on the wall now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-May-17 12:03:32
Print Post

Don't forget that at the stage of suggesting Pulse8 I was only talking about their line rental versus BT.

Considering moving the broadband from "Newnet" is a far bigger question.

If thinking about the broadband as well, Pulse8 use TalkTalk Business Wholesale, which is a good service but migrating out can be messy. Some people looking at them decide to go direct to TalkTalk Business, which is a very different beast from TalkTalk Retail.

Then there are many other options as well. For instance you might find AAISP good if 250GB is what you have and are happy with. They do line-only at £10 with their broadband. (VOIP an option).

I need landline phone basically for incoming calls from long-established contacts who don't use mobiles for anything but peripheral reasons such as emergency or on holiday. So Pulse8 line with AAISP Home:1 FTTC (retail rather than business which they also have - SOHO:1 if the retail offering worries you) suits me.

Zen CS seems to be a bit raggy these days despite their ratings. IDNet I feel had a dodgy patch but now good.

That's just a few decent options off the top of my head. There are others.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 10-May-17 12:05:31)

Print Thread

Jump to