General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woweebert
(experienced) Sat 04-Jul-09 09:46:49
Print Post

What can i do to help a friend in a not spot

[link to this post]

The friend in question lives in Isfield , East Sussex . He does not earn a fortune is a deliver driver , so cant afford the community satellite broadband the more wealthy people in the village use , but by all accounts is not very good either and is very poor for online gaming ( does not work , very poor latency ) and now has kids at school needing access to the internet for home work projects .

What can i do to help ? as they would like to have a computer but don't as they view it pointless with out broadband as most sites are now optimized for broadband and just don't load with dial up .

If anybody else is in this village ? it would be good if you could team up together and get one of the wireless providers that have been threatening to cover the area to do so .

But its ironic that this not spot campaign is online in it essence as most of the people needing to use it cant access it as they don't have online .
Which is where i guess i come in as a former resident of Isfield village , and the fact i moved out to a local town because of the broadband situation in Isfield and would really like to be able to move back , but with broadband that is affordable and usable for modern technology's like online gaming and VOIP .

Its not all about speed and line latency is also very important with some of the technology's being offered to fill the not spot gaps not up to the job of giving a line up too most online tasks that are relent on good latency .

UKonline... Premier LLU
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 04-Jul-09 10:38:26
Print Post

Re: What can i do to help a friend in a not spot

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

cant afford the community satellite broadband

how much is that ? A shared solution ought to be cheaper than trying to go it alone.

http://www.kijoma.net/ are active in the area.

Have you checked the coverage maps from Three, t-mobile etc ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-09 10:51:59
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Isfield is outside of Kijoma's area. 'Call Flow Solutions' won the RDA money for the area. Dunno if they are still going.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 04-Jul-09 10:54:41
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

http://www.callflowsolutions.com/wireless/radiobroad...

"The village pub has become the first customer for Isfield's new radio broadband service. "

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User eebdsirhc
(regular) Sat 04-Jul-09 10:56:00
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

OK, I don't know the village involved but has anyone thought of approaching the Parish Council (or whatever) to see if they can help contribute to a shared access scheme to benefit the whole village.

Your friend cannot be the only one in that situation.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-09 11:00:06
Print Post

Dated 2005. Not sure if it is still going in that form.

Standard User woweebert
(experienced) Sat 04-Jul-09 12:26:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
cant afford the community satellite broadband

how much is that ? A shared solution ought to be cheaper than trying to go it alone.

http://www.kijoma.net/ are active in the area.

Have you checked the coverage maps from Three, t-mobile etc ?

The satellite solution offers a very heavily contended and very expensive only just broadband solution that cant stream a utube video with out buffering .
Mobile broadband solutions are also a long way from prefect and only really good for web browsing .
I believe they have looked at mobile broadband but the cost of excess usage is a real issue , as anybody that's got charged for excess usage will confirm .

Im not going to beat about the bush , my friends got a Xbox and would like to enjoy some online activity's as well as giving his kids the chance to be able to complete home work projects .

The really stupid thing is im living 2.6 miles away and have a 16mb connection , its a real shame i cant get line of sight , as i would be tempted to try setting up a directional wifi connection .
In fact i believe this would make a better more affordable option than the solution thats in place that allot of people cant justify the cost , for what's on offer .

I do think the best they can hope for in Isfield is for a Wifi provider to cover there area and some are very close to covering the area and have been reporting the possibility for a very long time .

Which just frustrates the people of Isfield even more

UKonline... Premier LLU
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 04-Jul-09 12:28:03
Print Post

very expensive

How much ?

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-09 12:36:26
Print Post

I'm sure once the New Towns Act has been applied and massive development takes place in Isfield, the exchange will be enabled. smile

Standard User kijoma
(regular) Thu 09-Jul-09 08:10:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
http://www.callflowsolutions.com/wireless/radiobroad...

"The village pub has become the first customer for Isfield's new radio broadband service. "

Hi,

too true, Kijoma doesn't get RDA money and wasn't invited to compete for Isfield's provision sadly. The prices they are paying over there are pretty scary.

We could provide a service there and have it pencilled in but alas suitable sites for our fixed wireless aerial didn't come to fruition and demand elsewhere has put this on the backburner for now until something comes up.

If you want to discuss getting 13 Mbps+ real speed there then by all means email me and i will go through what the missing puzzle pieces are and perhaps there maybe people there who can fill them and we can slot them together for you.

Our plan involved an aerial at Lewes smile

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The UK's top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Top 5 finalist in best UK wireless ISP - ISPA's 2008
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to