General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 15-Aug-10 11:05:00
Print Post

Another Rutland Telecom project

[link to this post]

LLU, not FTTC http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/Superfast-broa...

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Adamant
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Aug-10 21:28:17
Print Post

Re: Another Rutland Telecom project

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

So, if ADSL is sync-ing at 3Mbps then are they really going to get people to sync at 8Mbps even on ADSL2?

Notice the quote "at least double" - maybe it's just me but I don't see how they can promise this without an FTTx solution?

It seems rather a stretch...................

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 24-Aug-10 22:38:13
Print Post

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

it is IMHO mis-selling as quoted in the article. Within the village of Empingham I would expect everyone to get an 8M sync as it is compact and has its own exchange. Certainly I have worked on 2 lines at 8128 there. Outlying properties will of course be different. The 3M guy is probably with Tiscali or something.

By introducing ADSL2+ they will give them a faster option I believe but it comes with their phone service and you have to have their line rental so the minimum spend is £35/month (min £5/month spend on calls) with a "Generous 10GB monthly data allowance" http://www.relay-rutlandtelecom.co.uk/prices.html

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adamant
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Aug-10 00:10:29
Print Post

It doesn't seem right.

Also, charging for a static IP is just plain wrong. I'm pretty sure that RIPE advise against it as well!

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 25-Aug-10 08:27:51
Print Post

I think you'll see more of these local monopolies emerging and businesses operating below the regulator's radar due to their size.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Aug-10 08:57:07
Print Post

When you consider that a "small" company like Virgin Media still falls below their radar, you are probably right!

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury Broadband; Highnam Broadand; Newent Broadband; Painswick Broadband
=======================
Symmetric Pro

Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User kijoma
(member) Wed 25-Aug-10 12:45:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adamant:
It doesn't seem right.

Also, charging for a static IP is just plain wrong. I'm pretty sure that RIPE advise against it as well!

Yeah, ISP's charging for fixed IP addresses! tongue

You do need to consider that membership of the RIPE NCC is not free , and is notably more expensive the more recent you became a member due to their points multiplier structure that relates to the time since RIPE started in the 90's. (see www.ripe.net for details under their pricing).

The more IP space you request, especially the now thin IP4 space, the more you will add points to your score and end up moving up to the next billing category..

So ISP's charging for blocks of IP space are not necessarily unjustified in the action. The figure charged is a possible debate item though.

Forgot to mention, nearly all our customers have a unique fixed IP address free , we do charge for blocks though.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The UK's top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Top 5 finalist in best UK wireless ISP - ISPA's 2008
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net

Edited by kijoma (Wed 25-Aug-10 12:47:28)

Standard User RutlandTelecom
(newbie) Wed 25-Aug-10 21:44:58
Print Post

Rutland & Stamford Mercury coverage underestimated our estimated speeds. Should not have said 8Mbps.
Will be up to 24Mbps. Average in village will be 15-20Mbps. Compact village yes that helps.

So it was not misselling but undersold!

New Ofcom requirements say ISPs should only say what their "upto" speeds are if they actually can reach those speeds.
In Uppingham and Oakham (LLU) we have lines in sync at 25Mbps on ADSL2+ so we are happy to still say "upto" 24Mbps.

We have bonded ADSL2+ lines at some properties at 42Mbps but choose to still say upto 24Mbps so as not to be misleading.

BT did refer to us as a local monopoly when interviewed by the BBC. But customers in Rutland always have a choice - us or BT.

We are doing a UK FTTH deployment where, at our sugegstion, the village is protected from our monopolistic exploitation by written agreement - we cannot screw them with high prices in future. Whole village will be FTTH.

£30/month (we do not charge £35/month) is in our view good value for rural NGA including line rental.

We will shortly raise the 10GB/month usage limit to 25GB/month. TBH we are not even monitoring it yet - just there in T&Cs to protect us against potential network abusers.

Future of internet in our view will be PAYG - pay for data. Calls will be free. Possibly monthly rental too.

Multum in parvo

Rutland Telecom
Smallest County - Biggest Broadband!
Lyddington: The UK's first deployment of FTTC (subloop unbundling) with MPF
Checkout VDSL speedtest
Standard User New_Londoner
(regular) Wed 25-Aug-10 21:52:19
Print Post

[re: RutlandTelecom] [link to this post]

Useful clarification, although you'd better hope the ASA doesn't check your email signature! I suspect "Smallest County - Biggest Broadband!" is unlikely to pass the test vs. a very large number of UK ISPs and network operators. smile

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/908187474.png[/IMG]
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 26-Aug-10 16:49:26
Print Post

[re: RutlandTelecom] [link to this post]

£30/month (we do not charge £35/month)

perhaps my error- I read it as £30/month including line rental but there was a requirement to spend £5/month on calls ??

But customers in Rutland always have a choice - us or BT.

or to me more precise they have the choice of >100 ISPs using BT architecture for broadband with freedom to pick from a competitive range of phone call and rental providers

or you

smile

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to