General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Sat 04-Sep-10 22:12:42
Print Post

Exchange my exchange?

[link to this post]

hi there everyone.

I'm building a house in a rural area nr Marlborough in Wilts.

It'll be 12 months til it's finished, but I wanted to get an idea of how I can ensure i get the best BB product when I get there. The old house, to be demolished has been on BT BB with a whopping speed of .75MB

Not surprising when the house is 4.7 miles from the exchange (using roads rather than crow flies)
There is however another exchange 2.3 miles away. How could I at least get this to be the exchange as the one that sends me my BB?

many thanks in advance
Standard User uno
(experienced) Sun 05-Sep-10 03:10:08
Print Post

Re: Exchange my exchange?

[re: trumpet272] [link to this post]

BT are likely to have cable in your street/area already. This will generally go back to one single exchange and that will be the one that serves you.

Some times you can be on the exchange further away, even if there is one closer to you. If you check at Samknows.com, put in your postcode it should tell you what exchange you are likely to be on.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Sep-10 09:11:53
Print Post

How could I at least get this to be the exchange as the one that sends me my BB?

You can't, unless you are wishing to pay LOTS of money.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adamant
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Sep-10 09:41:43
Print Post

See if any neighbours with line of sight to you are on the other exchange and getting good speeds.

If so, see if you can convince one of them to get a line installed for you and run a wireless bridge between you.

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Sun 05-Sep-10 21:10:28
Print Post

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

Thanks all

Yes I've done the checks and the postcode shows I'm on the exchange further away. (2nd last house on the line) However the property there now is being completely demolished, as are all nearby power/phone lines. To be re-buillt. Hence thinking I could 'start again' with a line from a nearer exchange? Or indeed other options.

I will be working from home so it's very important to achieve 3mg or so at least, so it's the satellite option otherwise. If anyone had a rough idea of costs to achieve a solution (however high at this stage!) I'd be very grateful - or indeed a way of contacting BT to discuss local issues like this, rather than some 0845/India call centre?

Thanks again/
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Sep-10 22:53:19
Print Post

You will not get anywhere with BT. You can not change exchange. Start looking at other options now before you waste too much time trying to find someone at BT that will give a [beep].

Might be worth contacting Rutland Telecom.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Mon 06-Sep-10 00:01:25
Print Post

Is your exchange scheduled to get FTTC? This could give you the performance uplift you're hoping for, will be far cheaper than running a line to the other exchange.

Otherwise you may wish to investigate some of the business services such as one of the lower speed Ethernet options. This will be dearer than broadband but again probably cheaper than running a line to the other exchange, may compare well to satellite too.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User MarkHampshire
(committed) Mon 06-Sep-10 00:56:06
Print Post

I suppose it's not impossible that a new line might take a different route, e.g. if an entire estate of 1000 houses were being demolished and rebuilt (pretty unlikely one imagines) then they might take the chance to improve the routing, but for one or a few houses, probably not.

You may get near 3Mbps with a Three 3G modem - I work from home, performance as below (ASDL is much slower) - I investigated satellite very briefly and found that 10Mbps + downstream should be possible fairly imminently, but you're looking at setup costs of £700+.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bookey
(experienced) Mon 06-Sep-10 11:27:38
Print Post

Post your existing line stats (from the router)

If you don't mind post your full postcode.

Paul
Standard User Adamant
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Sep-10 12:03:25
Print Post

as are all nearby power/phone lines.

All phone lines, including poles?

Remember this is openreach equipment so they need to be called to remove it otherwise you could get into a bit of trouble over it!

Have you checked if any neighbours with line of sight could get a good speed?

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to