General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 18:08:48
Print Post

Anyway to get my line speed up?

[link to this post]

Is there anyway to get my line speed up?

I have the Netgear DGND3300 , with AN ADSL Nation XTE-2005 and RJ11 Pro+ 0.5M cable. Here are my router stats:

Line Status
Help
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 416
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 768
Line standard G.DMT
Channel type Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB) 7
Downstream SNR (dB) 6
Upstream interleave depth 1
Downstream interleave depth 2
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 31.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 63.5
Upstream output power (dBmV) 12
Downstream output power (dBmV) 14
Upstream CRC 130
Downstream CRC 0
Upstream FEC 36408
Downstream FEC 0

I am a TalkTalk customer on BT Ipstream, WWWITH- Exchange Code

Edited by gouledw (Mon 17-Jan-11 18:10:52)

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 17-Jan-11 18:28:22
Print Post

Re: Anyway to get my line speed up?

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

Have you tried speed tests with XTE-2005 plate off (the router plugged directly into the master)?

~~~~~~~~~~

Message to the mods:

Don't you hate it that you can't disable sigs? Ha Ha!

© Camieabz 2002-2011

report this link
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 18:41:11
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Yes, in the test socket, no improvement at all.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 20:55:02
Print Post

other routers may be worth a go, otherwise you're about there I think.

A 2wire BT business hub (Ebay) will give you the proper attenuation, likely to be more than 63.5 dB, be interesting if nothing else.

Personally I would also give a n AR7 based router a go like the v3 Netgear 834 (v4 & later are different chipset)

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Wed 19-Jan-11 20:41:03
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

My proper attenuation is 65db. ANd im currently only syncing at half a meg, when BT say I can get 1MB? ! Help!

Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 416
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 576
Line standard G.DMT
Channel type Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB) 7
Downstream SNR (dB) 7
Upstream interleave depth 1
Downstream interleave depth 2
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 31.5
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 63.5
Upstream output power (dBmV) 12
Downstream output power (dBmV) 14
Upstream CRC 131
Downstream CRC 0
Upstream FEC 34871
Downstream FEC 6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jan-11 02:17:12
Print Post

1Mega bit - might be possible but is not very likely at your attenuation.

BT has no obligation to provide any speed, and if the distance to the exchange is appropriate for attenuation then likely that nothing will be done.

A different modem might give better results.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 20-Jan-11 08:31:40
Print Post

if you're in the test socket and that's the best from that router you can try a different router and/or ask to be put on a 3 dB SNR profile (good luck with that one !)

BT's estimate is an estimate.

TBH unless you gain quite a lot you won't get any more throughput as the next profile step is at 864k

On lines that long (and longer) I've seen one router do about 1M and another 1.7M.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 20-Jan-11 11:55:33
Print Post

OK,

You need to check a few things,

Do you have an oil or gas tank where the company tops up automatically? Did the previous owner?

Do you have a monitored alarm system? Did the previous owner?

When you remove the front part of the master socket, do all the other sockets in the house go dead? Check them with a basic corded phone in each one.

How's the voice side of things? Any crackling, rustling, clicking, popping? Dial 17070, Option 2, and listen.

Please reply here with your answers.

Router - your suggested choices aren't all that when it comes to long lines. Try a 2wire 2700HGV (Also known as BT Business Hub). Buy one off eBay (under a tenner for brand new in the box can be found), and do not spend loads on an "unlocked" one - unlocking on the latest firmware is very easy, fire up Google and ten minutes work should sort it out. Have a search here, there are specific Netgear and Thomson models that also have a good reputation.

You could also try a different brand of faceplate - try the Openreach one (about £12 off eBay). This should make relatively little difference, but in your situation any small improvement is critical.

The upstream uses the lowest "tones" in the ADSL frequencies, which are the ones least affected by distance. The fact that your upstream is low (normally 448) may not be a good sign - you either have some fault that is affecting the line, or it's simply as good as it'll ever be.
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 16:57:07
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shtu:
OK,

You need to check a few things,

Do you have an oil or gas tank where the company tops up automatically? Did the previous owner?

Do you have a monitored alarm system? Did the previous owner?

When you remove the front part of the master socket, do all the other sockets in the house go dead? Check them with a basic corded phone in each one.

How's the voice side of things? Any crackling, rustling, clicking, popping? Dial 17070, Option 2, and listen.

Please reply here with your answers.

Router - your suggested choices aren't all that when it comes to long lines. Try a 2wire 2700HGV (Also known as BT Business Hub). Buy one off eBay (under a tenner for brand new in the box can be found), and do not spend loads on an "unlocked" one - unlocking on the latest firmware is very easy, fire up Google and ten minutes work should sort it out. Have a search here, there are specific Netgear and Thomson models that also have a good reputation.

You could also try a different brand of faceplate - try the Openreach one (about £12 off eBay). This should make relatively little difference, but in your situation any small improvement is critical.

The upstream uses the lowest "tones" in the ADSL frequencies, which are the ones least affected by distance. The fact that your upstream is low (normally 448) may not be a good sign - you either have some fault that is affecting the line, or it's simply as good as it'll ever be.

I have run full diagnostics on the line, Openreach have been out doing work on the line, sync speed has improved, I get a higher speed with my ADSL Nation faceplate than in the socket, tried the Openreach socket, it gives sync speeds of only 300KB, and which Netgears would you advise, as we used to be BT Business which were useless with their hub. I have spoken to a profressional about the Netgear DGND3300 who say it is the best router, and they also say that on the TalkTalk Member's Forums.

Although line is still syncing at relativley rubbish 704KB.

Edited by gouledw (Thu 20-Jan-11 17:29:45)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 09:13:00
Print Post

I've been quite impressed with the DGND3300 having just got one to replace my BT Home Hub.

Also have a very long line (5Km) to a Market 1 exchange and previously was getting constant drop outs resulting in an IP profile of 135K.

My stats now:

System Up Time 265:11:34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 960 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 6.3 db 12.0 db

BT Speedtester results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 693 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :960 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to