General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kilfinan
(newbie) Sun 13-Feb-11 11:52:07
Print Post

Newbie Help Needed - Sub 300k speed

[link to this post]

My exchange is Dalkeith and apparently I love about 4 kms from it. Whatever that means!

My stats are below and I have connected directly to the test socket. Can anyone tell me if it looks ok and if there is anything I can do to improve. BT connection on a Homehub 2

One question; am I on ADSL2+ and if not would it make any difference.

Thanks for reading

xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 160 kbit/s, upstream: 352 kbit/s; output Power Down: 11.6 dBm, Up: 11.7 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 63.5 dB, Up: 31.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.0 dB, Up: 6.2 dB)
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:04:13
Print Post

Re: Newbie Help Needed - Sub 300k speed

[re: kilfinan] [link to this post]

That is a very poor line. Probably much higher attenuation than the 63.5dB being reported, as that has reached the limit that can be displayed.

The only way to improve speed is to lower the SNR ratio. I don't know if that is possible on the home hub. Lowering the SNR to 3dB might give you around double the download speed which would still be about 300Kbps. But this would decrease the reliability of the connection and could actually reduce the throughput if there are too many errors.

You should probably look at other options. If you are lucky there might be a fixed wireless broadband provider in your area. Failing that your should check coverage of 3G mobile broadband.

With such a rubbish speed on your ADSL broadband you should be able to get out of the contract due to not being fit for purpose.

You are on standard ADSL (G.992.1) but I doubt ADSL2+ (G.992.5) would improve anything.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Sun 13-Feb-11 12:07:51)

Standard User kilfinan
(newbie) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:14:43
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

That's pretty much what I thought. However it's better than nothing. I have tried 3G, not reliable. The only other option is Satellite.

It's not as if I am way out in the sticks, it's more that BT haven't kept up with hous builds in the area by buidling new exchanges.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:15:34
Print Post

Those are awful stats, you should probably look to getting a satellite or WiMax solution should there be one available.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:24:02
Print Post

Have you plugged directly into the master socket (like here, but with or without the filter in the pic)?

If you can, do so and see how you speeds/stats look. Also, if possible try a couple on different days, as there's been very wet weather in Fife lately. smile

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Feb-11 12:53:19
Print Post

Which 3G network did you try?

Three's coverage doesn't look too bad around Dalkeith. Problem is there are a lot of houses in the area with poor ADSL speeds and thus 3G may be over subscribed.

Definitely a good opportunity for a Wireless Internet Service Provider in your area if there isn't already! How on earth you manage to find out if there is one is another matter frown

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Feb-11 13:01:32
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Thanks all. At least I got some sympathy...
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Feb-11 14:18:21
Print Post

looks like a long line issue as the upstream isn't at full rate. It's G992.1 so standard ADSL - ADSL2 might do a bit better.

Another bit of kit might do better too, I've been to places where the home hub would not sync but the 2-wire business hub or an AR7 based router did and ran at about 700k, so I would try to borrow or Ebay some alternative hardware.

I would double check there is no dial tone on any other phone when using the test socket, and ensure nothing else is hard wired into the system.

Anything below 288k sync is a fault so you could ask your ISP to get it looked at, just in case.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Feb-11 14:20:58
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
looks like a long line issue as the upstream isn't at full rate. It's G992.1 so standard ADSL - ADSL2 might do a bit better.

Another bit of kit might do better too, I've been to places where the home hub would not sync but the 2-wire business hub or an AR7 based router did and ran at about 700k, so I would try to borrow or Ebay some alternative hardware.

I would double check there is no dial tone on any other phone when using the test socket, and ensure nothing else is hard wired into the system.

Anything below 288k sync is a fault so you could ask your ISP to get it looked at, just in case.
oh hang on, I see... wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 13-Feb-11 14:21:57)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 13-Feb-11 14:22:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

er.. "upstream: 352 kbit/s"

yes. Downstream sync below 288k is a fault.

No such stipulation on upstream, 64k minimum sync.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to