General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lozenges
(newbie) Mon 14-Feb-11 15:28:26
Print Post

how to streghten internet connection...

[link to this post]

I am moving away from Bristol shortly and heading to Somerset into a stable conversion. The place that I am going to move into does not have direct internet access. In fact, it does not have a phone line or coverage from a mobile phone network (the house is shadowed by some hills). However, the stable is directly adjacent to a main house that does have internet access via a BT Hub (an new version). In the stable I can get a very faint signal (sometimes) of the BT Hub/Develo dLAN , but it is not really strong enough to use. However, the owner of the BT Hub has said that I can use his signal for access to the internet - but I am going to need to do something to boost the signal. As I mentioned, presently the house there is a BT Hub on the top floor (about 40m away from the stable), and a Develo dLAN downstairs (about 15m) from the stable.

Do you know of a bit of kit that I could use to boost the Hub signal? There are so many on the market - that I am going around and around not knowing which one to go for. Or, do you know of another way to overcome the weak signal without having to buy a booster? The thing that concerns me with this issue , is that I can blow some dosh on a bit of kit - and it does not overcome the problem. Anyway, any advice would be great.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 14-Feb-11 15:32:45
Print Post

Re: how to streghten internet connection...

[re: lozenges] [link to this post]

a high gain antenna at your end, plus perhaps getting the home hub or devolo repeater located near a window, would be the best bet.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-indoorantenna-24.htm has some options, you need a wireless card with a socket for the aerial , or look on that site for a "client bridge" or similar.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-11 15:23:41
Print Post

Re: how to streghten internet connection...

[re: lozenges] [link to this post]

How about a bit of cat5?? Should solve the problem...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to