General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 17:49:13
Print Post

How does BT select exchanges to install FTTC?

[link to this post]

Does BT base it's decision on the number of lines at an exchange? Or some other factor?

I am connected to the 'Cwmbran' exchange in South Wales. Admittedly, the town is spread over quite a large geographical area, but I'm guessing that it comes in perhaps the top 20 or 30 so towns in Wales. BT's 'Race to Infinity' map quoted 21,000+ lines connected to the Cwmbran exchange, so it is much larger than many other exchanges. Yet BT don't seem to have considered this exchange for the upgrade.

I'm currently receiving <1Mbps due to being a fair distance from the exchange, so you can imagine that I'm pretty desperate to get FTTC.

But BT appear to continue to ignore the exchange..... frown
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 20:56:34
Print Post

Re: How does BT select exchanges to install FTTC?

[re: doninwales] [link to this post]

Lots of factory are considered then a random yes/no generator is used to make the final decision. Then after a few months they move the date back and a year later move it back again ...

Seriously though there is some method in the madness. I expect it could be as simple as ignore ones that they think they will get funding for and enable ones that are large and have councils that BT get on with and will allow planning etc easily.

The whole thing is a joke though.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:01:52
Print Post

I'm guessing you are unable to get Virgin Media where you are, is that correct?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:14:33
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

'fraid so....... They (NTL as they were before) stopped installing cable a long time ago - though they did cable much of the Cwmbran area (ironically they cabled my old house just before I moved about 6 years ago. Doh......)

I moved to a brand new estate, on the edge of Cwmbran, and probably about 6 miles from the exchange. Again, ironically, only a mile or so from another exchange in the next town frown I'm separated by an A-road from the next town. So people in a street about 20-30 metres from me are achieving 8Mbps rates, whilst I'm languising at sub-1Mbps.

BT Wholesale's Availability Checker tells me that the Cwmbran exchange has ADSL (for which I can get 512kbps), and also ADSL Max (for which I could get 1.5Mbps), and also ADSL2+ (where I could get 2Mbs). I'm with Sky, but don't know which service I have. I wonder whether it's worth asking if I am on ADSL2+?

The SamKnows web site also states that the Cwmbran exchange has 21CN WBC enable since Sept 2009! But it also says that 'There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service', so I'm not sure what that means.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:35:00
Print Post

Log on to you router by going to 192.168.0.1 in a web browser. Then enter user name: admin and password: sky

Somewhere there you'll be able to find the connection type and your line stats. The important ones are attenuation and snr margin.

Let me know what they are.

Also is the router connected to the BT master socket and have you removed all extension wiring? Could you try the router plugged into the test socket? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User doninwales
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-11 08:28:09
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN pppoa 2152468 2390116 0 13257 36154 14:46:00
LAN1 Link Down 2351817 2142633 0 36605 14683 --
LAN2 Link Down --
LAN3 Link Down --
LAN4 10M/100M 14:49:26
WLAN 300M 261464 216134 0 2040 848 14:45:59

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1023 kbps 454 kbps
Line Attenuation 69.0 db 44.2 db
Noise Margin 8.2 db 11.5 db

I've tried the usual analysis techniques over the past 6 months or year.
Up to about 4 months ago I was achieving around 1.6 Mbps, but ever since, this has halved to around 0.8 Mbps. Don't really understand why it has reduced so much, especially as the previous level was constant for many months and up to a year. (It's not as if the line had just been installed and was trying to find it's optimum level for the first time.) I've been meaning to investigate this, but haven't got around to it yet.

Anyway......my actions:

* Current Statistics shown above
* My router is connected to the BT Master socket - I used to remove the faceplate and connect directly to the test socket, but I have since used the iPlate which I believe does the same thing (and looks a bit neater than having the faceplate hanging down...)
* There are multiple other sockets throughout the house, but the only other one that is used is in the living room, with the Sky box connected to it (through a microfilter). Otherwise, the main landline phone is also using BT Master socket (through a microfilter).
* I have tried different microfilters
* I have tried several different routers, with no major effect
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 19:34:41
Print Post

I'm guessing Sky have you on a 9dB noise margin currently. I suspect you used to have a 6dB margin but the line dropped often enough for Sky's DLM to adjust your margin to 9dB to help increase the stability of your line.

You could ask Sky to reset the DLM on your line and see if you get a better speed. It might not last though.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Apr-12 00:09:02
Print Post

Don,

I'm also in Cwmbran (Brunel Road, Fairwater) and with Sky.

My connection speed is currently around 3.5-4.0 MB but in the past it often crept back down to around 1MB. I then had to telephone Sky to get them to turn it back up again. Apparently the exchange regularly checks the link to the router and if the line quality is detected as poor then the connection speed is capped to a lower level. The only way to get it turned back up is to telephone Sky.

The main cause of problems is poor quality extension cables throughout the house. I've managed to eliminate this by fitting a BT I-Plate to my main telephone socket, which filters out problems with extensions. Bought mine on E-bay for £5 and it was very easy to fit.

Might be worth a fiver and a call to Sky to see if you can improve things.

Good luck!

Mark
  Print Thread

Jump to