General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smtkelly
(experienced) Thu 14-Apr-11 14:43:01
Print Post

Not spot options - Frome, Somerset

[link to this post]

We're thinking of moving from London where i have been enjoying 21meg connection for the past 4 years (i live within a few hundred meters of the exchange). The property I have found is just outside of Frome BA11 5DP

However is seems its in a broadband black spot (much like the rest of rural Somerset). The internet is a huge part of our lives everything from work, games, tv, films keeping in contact with family etc. So ideally it needs to be fast and it needs to have good latency.

What would i have to do to get 18mb+ to my property and what would be the cost? I don't mind paying for it even if its a lot after all the house was much cheaper that its London equivalent.

I noticed there is also broadband campaign site connectingsomerset.co.uk but they are light on details and results. It seems like a pr smoke screen imo

------------------------------------------------------------
BE* Bandwidth (Up/Down): 1.122/21.000
>20m from exchange as the crow flys
Standard User RSTSGeek
(regular) Thu 14-Apr-11 18:11:06
Print Post

Re: Not spot options - Frome, Somerset

[re: smtkelly] [link to this post]

Did you try running your phone number and postcode through the checker
on the Samknows site (Samknows Broadband Checker) ?

Using just the post code brings up VirginMedia Cable.
(Not knowing your phone number, of course, this may not be an option.)

- Alex
Standard User smtkelly
(experienced) Thu 14-Apr-11 18:57:46
Print Post

[re: RSTSGeek] [link to this post]

I did run the current owners number and only thing that came back was ADSLmax. When I viewed the property he said I would be lucky to get 4megs :/

I'm thinking my options are;
Line bonding (cheaper)
Run fibre/business line to the house (mega bucks)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows alternate solutions. I've very serious about my internet I would set a maxium budget of £10,000 to get it set-up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 14-Apr-11 19:43:04
Print Post

It might be worth getting the current owner to run ADSL stats for your info. You might find the existing setup can be improved without little or no outlay. I doubt if you can get the speeds you speak of without outlay, but you might get enough that line bonding will be worth a go.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User smtkelly
(experienced) Fri 15-Apr-11 11:41:47
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

The issue with the current owner is he's in receivership and isn't exactly helpful.

with these rural hamlets I understand that can be as mush as 3 hops (via other towns) from the exchange. And I'm not sure how bonding works in reality. Does 5x 5meg really equal 25meg or is it limited to 5meg per download stream. then there's the extra hassle of 5 phone lines/5 connections/equipment. Might end up near the cost of a leased line.

FTTP/lease line I would consider too. I'd be running 2 businesses from there both require an element of a good connection and there's a small business park 100m away which might consider sharing the costs. However I'd kick myself if I paid for all of that and then Fujitsu got the go ahead for FTTH in the area.

Standard User huwwatkins
(regular) Fri 15-Apr-11 11:53:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by smtkelly:
The issue with the current owner is he's in receivership and isn't exactly helpful.

with these rural hamlets I understand that can be as mush as 3 hops (via other towns) from the exchange. And I'm not sure how bonding works in reality. Does 5x 5meg really equal 25meg or is it limited to 5meg per download stream. then there's the extra hassle of 5 phone lines/5 connections/equipment. Might end up near the cost of a leased line.

FTTP/lease line I would consider too. I'd be running 2 businesses from there both require an element of a good connection and there's a small business park 100m away which might consider sharing the costs. However I'd kick myself if I paid for all of that and then Fujitsu got the go ahead for FTTH in the area.

Looks like your about 1.9k straight line sitance to your exchange. Looking at the map I think your line would probably go direct to the exchange via a cab somewhere.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Apr-11 12:07:17
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

10Meg Ethernet fibre looks to be around £1250 a month.
50Meg £2700 a month.

So the costs of bonding need look to be small in comparison, but of course fibre would be vastly more reliable.

Postcode on maps.thinkbroadband.com puts you at roughly Trudoxhill, just outside Nunney (The George is not bad in Nunney). The one 3.6Meg speedtest showing up in the area suggests 5Meg on a line is feasible.

http://www.aa.nu/kb-broadband-bonding.html for a grounding in bonding and what is possible, particularly on a BT Wholesale only exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-11 11:32:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or a WEES from somewhere where there is a cheap internet connection (Virgin Media or LLU) to your house.

That could cost around £2500 install and £450 per month for 100Mbps dedicated site to site fibre. Subject to excess construction costs if applicable.

Or a point to point 5Ghz wireless link again from a location that has decent broadband to your house. This has the advantage of no rental and could be only £300 for the wireless hardware necessary.

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/ubiquiti-nanobridge-m-airm...

Both would require a contract with host and you would have the cost of getting broadband to the hosts location.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User smtkelly
(experienced) Mon 18-Apr-11 19:12:39
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Thank you for the info, So even with the worse case there is hope (if quite costly).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Apr-11 15:10:06
Print Post

That final quote is for site to site, i.e. is dependent on what that site has as its internet connection already.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to