General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alkieb
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 23:02:35
Print Post

newbie in a 'not spot' rg30 3pl

[link to this post]

live in Reading, RG30 3PL, always had broadband problems. Used mobile broadband last 2 years (not too bad - but obvious restrictions to this. taken out sky broadband to see if any improvement in 'normal broadband' however told today maximum I can get is half a meg! with wireless not likely to work. Any ideas on what I can do, other than sit and wait for any improvements.

seems a crazy situation for living in built up area of large town!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 27-Apr-11 23:09:56
Print Post

Re: newbie in a 'not spot' rg30 3pl

[re: alkieb] [link to this post]

Post your line stats reported by your router, especially Attenuation.

Is Virgin cable available?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Apr-11 21:41:50
Print Post

Reading Central exchange has just gone live for FTTC, that'll make a huge difference. just pick your new isp, (Sky are not using this yet) and away you go. which street you in ? off the Burghfield Rd end of things ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alcockell
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 00:29:53
Print Post

You could consider Bonded ADSL - Eclipse offer it...
Standard User mattypi
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 00:39:53
Print Post

im told you can get fttc
check

Edited by mattypi (Mon 02-May-11 00:41:01)

Standard User alkieb
(newbie) Wed 04-May-11 13:41:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for your posts, I am giving up with Sky as they have confirmed being 5.4k from the reading central exchange (I am off the Burghfield road) means I will not be able to get any degree of speed.

Virgin have confirmed I am in the area for their fibre optic cabling, BT show my postcode as not available for infinity until 30/9/11. Sorry to ask stupid question but it that what is meant by FTTC - if this is different to what Virgin are offering?

Any pointers/ideas would be much appreciated. Should I go with Virgin.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-May-11 15:19:02
Print Post

FTTC is fibre to the cabinet.

Basically what it means is that you get your internet connection from the street cabinet at the end of your road instead of the telephone exchange. So shorter length of copper wire means more speed.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-May-11 17:32:47
Print Post

You can get cable and you've been using 3G and DSL? smile

Cable is fibre to the cabinet and then the signal is amplified over the local loop/co-axial runs to the houses, so all the houses can get e.g. 10Mbps on a 10Mbps connection, 50Mbps on a 50Mbps connection and so on.

In theory anyway. Contention knocks that down a bit. From memory the 10meg service averages about 8.9 meg and the 50meg averages 46meg in real world speed tests.

BT's FTTC service is similar, but with phone lines of varying qualities not co-ax, and no amplification, so by definition it rarely achieves the top headline speed and so starts at 5Mbps; you "get what you're given" as with anything DSL based.

Contention is at the exchange rather than the local node, so in theory it should be more manageable and controllable. In theory.

So you could wait for BT's FTTC - assuming your cabinet gets done - and get something between 5 and 40meg, or just have 50meg (if that's what you want) right now.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-May-11 22:49:27
Print Post

'BT show my postcode as not available for infinity until 30/9/11'

Odd, as they already installing FTTC off of that exchange. If you feel brave enough to tell a complete stranger exactly which street of the Burghfield Rd, then I will be able to tell you which cabinet you are off of, and weather it's been upgraded to FTTC or not.
There are some mahoosively long lines out there, think yourself lucky the lines on the M4 services are fed from Reading Central, in Minster Street also, their cabinet is the one opposite the Cunning Man.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-May-11 18:34:45
Print Post

That BT spreadsheet is handy!

THRG
READING CENTRAL
RG303PL
{THRG}{p23}
100% of lines
21.16 x speed uplift versus now
Phase 5a, FTTC

The only thing the spreadsheet doesn't have, sadly, is the most useful thing: the date.
  Print Thread

Jump to