General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Jul-12 23:47:00
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:
You're going to have to help me. What does "EO Lines" and "BDUK Funding" mean ?

I think having a landlord/managing agent speak for the development is a great idea. Since they're also not really compelled to do anything about this on our behalf either, I'm going to have to help them. Where/who would they write to ?

I think part of all of our frustration is that finding out reasons for the delays from BT is impossible. Who can you contact (aside from the 'register your interest' surveys on their website) ? I would be happy to write to BT myself, but I have no idea how to get in touch with someone who is likely to respond to me.
Gavin,
EO lines are phone lines that go directly back to the exchange rather than going via an intermediary cabinet. Such lines are often short lines close to the exchange but there are many cases also where the lines are quite long and thus not geting the higher speeds enjoyed by EO lines closer to the exchange. In our case the line length is around 3Km but I have seen others report having EO lines of 5Km or more. Currently BT are not permitted to use VDSL on EO lines due to possible cross-talk (VDSL is used for the connection between FTTC cab and the end user rather than the slower ADSL). Even if BT were permitted to use VDSL on EO lines it wouldn't help those of us on long lines.

BDUK = Broadband Delivery UK. National Broadband Scheme for the UK: Supporting the local and community roll-out of superfast broadband

This is a scheme using a of mix of EEC and UK funding together with funds from the contract winner (to date I believe only BT has been awarded a BDUK contract) to upgrade speeds where BT has decreed that upgrading the area to not be commercially viable. Mostly being used in rural areas but I see no reason why this funding shouldn't also be used in built-up areas where speeds are still poor and well below the UK/EEC goverment target of I think 30Mbps by 2015. ThinkBroadband has numerous articles on its main site regarding BDUK.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:45:36
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Rather than BDUK money, I think its the Urban Broadband Fund for cities like London. The point is essentially the same though. Best to lobby Southwark to talk to City Hall about including your area in that covered by any Urban Broadband Funding that the Mayor gets, assuming that neither BT nor any other company is interested in providing service commercially.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:47:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
Gavin,
EO lines are phone lines that go directly back to the exchange rather than going via an intermediary cabinet. Such lines are often short lines close to the exchange but there are many cases also where the lines are quite long and thus not geting the higher speeds enjoyed by EO lines closer to the exchange. In our case the line length is around 3Km but I have seen others report having EO lines of 5Km or more. Currently BT are not permitted to use VDSL on EO lines due to possible cross-talk (VDSL is used for the connection between FTTC cab and the end user rather than the slower ADSL). Even if BT were permitted to use VDSL on EO lines it wouldn't help those of us on long lines.

BDUK = Broadband Delivery UK. National Broadband Scheme for the UK: Supporting the local and community roll-out of superfast broadband

This is a scheme using a of mix of EEC and UK funding together with funds from the contract winner (to date I believe only BT has been awarded a BDUK contract) to upgrade speeds where BT has decreed that upgrading the area to not be commercially viable. Mostly being used in rural areas but I see no reason why this funding shouldn't also be used in built-up areas where speeds are still poor and well below the UK/EEC goverment target of I think 30Mbps by 2015. ThinkBroadband has numerous articles on its main site regarding BDUK.

I'm guessing EO means "Exchange Only" (or something like that?)

The funny thing is - there is evidence (from https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid...
that BT are FTTC/FTTPing postcodes very near me.
My postcode is SE166PS. Bung it in google earth. Other blocks in the same development are SE166P*
The postcodes SE166XE (FTTC), SE166RF, SE166RG, SE166RH, SE166RJ, SE166RL (All FTTP) *are* on the list.
SE166XE is the nearest, but clearly serves an adjacent development, not ours. The cable path for that MUST come down the same road.
SE166RF, SE166RG, SE166RH, SE166RJ, SE166RL are individual blocks built 3/4 years ago on the main road (300 yards away)

This suggests to me that they *can* get fibre down my road, they've just chosen not to do this development for some reason and obviously, I'd like to know why.

Has any body any ideas as to who to contact to understand their decision making process ?

Gavin

Edited by gavsdavs (Fri 27-Jul-12 17:48:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jul-12 22:45:28
Print Post

I'm guessing EO means "Exchange Only" (or something like that?)
Which is what I thought I had said. smile OK, I said "EO lines are phone lines that go directly back to the exchange rather than going via an intermediary cabinet" so didn't explicitly state Exchange Only.

As for SE16 6PS, 93% of the lines at that postcode are EO lines so no FTTP or FTTC for now, perhaps later once BT and Ofcom agree how EO lines are to be dealt with. The remaining lines at SE16 6PS are connected to PCP58 and there were no plans, as at Dec 2011, to roll-out FTTC for that cab.

Regrettably we appear to be in much the same boat. frown
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sat 28-Jul-12 22:15:23
Print Post

Openreach has already said what it intends to do with EO lines, theirs 2 offers one is to BDUK project where Openreach are willing to do Network rearrangements

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

The second option is (taken from a update to a new post on this site)

We asked Openreach about the issue of Exchange Only lines back in April 2012, and received a response regarding those lines or groups of lines run directly from the exchange, which is usually those closest to the exchange or new estates located further from the exchange. Openreach has said that where technically and economically feasible they will provide either a FTTC (via new cabinet) or FTTP service, this is done on a case-by-case basis as the roll-outs progress. We believe pressure to hit the 66% figure as soon as possible, means these areas will mainly be waiting until 2014, or for the various BDUK projects to start producing results.

So their are plans in place for EO lines, just a wait till Openreach visit the problem, the urban cities fund will likely use network rearrangement to solve the EO line issue.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 29-Jul-12 13:17:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
As for SE16 6PS, 93% of the lines at that postcode are EO lines so no FTTP or FTTC for now, perhaps later once BT and Ofcom agree how EO lines are to be dealt with. The remaining lines at SE16 6PS are connected to PCP58 and there were no plans, as at Dec 2011, to roll-out FTTC for that cab.

How have you found that percentage ? There are 16 flats in the property at SE166PS, does that suggest one of them *isn't* EO ? How can that be ?
I'm also curious as to how you have got the information that the 7% (I'm assuming one flat) is connected to PCP58 ?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:37:20
Print Post

How have you found that percentage ? There are 16 flats in the property at SE166PS, does that suggest one of them *isn't* EO ? How can that be ?
I'm also curious as to how you have got the information that the 7% (I'm assuming one flat) is connected to PCP58 ?
Details obtained from the leaked December 2011 BT spreadsheet to which there are numerous links in the Fibre Broadband forum. As to one line being connected via a PCP this could be the first line that was installed and initially used by the building contractors.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:52:16
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
So their are plans in place for EO lines, just a wait till Openreach visit the problem, the urban cities fund will likely use network rearrangement to solve the EO line issue.
Such proposals make no account for the commercial viability for these changes. BT isn't going to install a new cab so as to enable FTTC for a development of 75 properties 3km from the exchange without considerable third party funding.

Your optimism is gratifying however I need to see more details of BT's plans before getting too excited.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 29-Jul-12 18:36:54
Print Post

I've linked it as you didnt:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_m5Gbpvm--mZDQ0Njg...
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-12 19:51:21
Print Post

I've linked it as you didnt:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_m5Gbpvm--mZDQ0Njg...
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure as to which was a current link, the one I used having long since gone AWOL.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to