General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Aug-12 11:29:33
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I have given up on BT Infinity as I have checked since it was announced and each year it has been due on various dates such as Dec 2010, 2011, 2012 and now Dec 2013.

Very disappointed and I guess I will have to wait to see if at the end of 2013 the dates will change again to 2014 frown

I live in SE16 6NN and have a 2mb download 400kb upload with Sky that is at least it is a stable connection.

I often use my T-Mobile Mifi often get 4mb to 5mb connections but of course this in not unlimited.

The exchange information for my post code is as below but I am not sure what it mean smile can you help or suggest other options please.

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP
CLBER BERMONDSEY SE166NN {CLBER}{P57} 0 100% 10.01 9b Yes FTTC
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Aug-12 03:53:28
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The exchange information for my post code is as below but I am not sure what it mean smile can you help or suggest other options please.

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP
CLBER BERMONDSEY SE166NN {CLBER}{P57} 0 100% 10.01 9b Yes FTTC
This means that 100% of the lines in your postcode are connected to Cab 57 on the Bermondsey exchange and that FTTC is due to be installed in phase 9b. The "uplift" for lines in your postcode is estimated to be 10.01 which would give a 20Mb connection if you currently connect at 2Mb which might suggest that you are some distance from cab 57 but nevertheless is a considerable improvement and there is a good chance that the actual connection will be better than this.

Phase 9b was announced by BT on 20 March 2012 but have no idea when work is likely to start, different areas seem to be in different phases, possibly due to unplanned or unexpected delays, but I believe that phase 9a work is underway in some areas which might mean that 9b is is planned for later this year or early 2013.

Edited by MCM (Fri 17-Aug-12 03:54:14)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Aug-12 21:25:06
Print Post

Hi MCM,

Thanks for your informative posts. I'm in SE16 too and have used your information and the spreadsheets to ascertain that i'm connected to cabinet {CLBER}{M_A}.

Can you help me fathom what that means?

Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Aug-12 23:40:39
Print Post

Thanks for your informative posts. I'm in SE16 too and have used your information and the spreadsheets to ascertain that i'm connected to cabinet {CLBER}{M_A}.

I'm sorry but that, for the next year or possibly longer, is bad news. It means that your phone line, like mine on the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington, is what is called an Exchange Only (EO) line. This means that your line goes directly to the exchange and not via a local cabinet so for the present FTTC is a no go since FTTC is fibre to the cabinet where a DSLAM is installed in a new FTTC cabinet close by to the original "voice" cabinet. The connection to the customer premises is then sent using VDSL over a much shorter length of cable than that for ADSL which has to send the signal to the exchange, that is customer premises to the cab and then from the cab to the exchange.

Ofcom, or at least some regulatory body, prohibits BT from using VDSL (which is much faster than ADSL) on EO lines due to the likely higher level of cross-talk generated which would be to the detriment of all users whose telephone cables were in the same bundle.

BT did announce earlier this year that they were looking at solutions to the problem. One was to provide FTTP rather than FTTC to those on exchange lines, FTTP being fibre all the way from the exchange to the customer premises, or alternatively to install new cabinets between the exchange and the EO customers thus allowing FTTC to be installed. However for now all we can do is wait and hope that BT don't decide that these solutions are not commercially viable and as a result leave us on our slow ADSL connections surrounded by a sea of happy punters connecting via FTTC.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Aug-12 11:22:24
Print Post

Hello guys, i am moving into a new house in redriff road, in rotherhithe. Do you know which internet provider should i choose and whats the max speed i can get approximately?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Aug-12 20:56:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:

I'm sorry but that, for the next year or possibly longer, is bad news. It means that your phone line, like mine on the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington, is what is called an Exchange Only (EO) line. This means that your line goes directly to the exchange and not via a local cabinet so for the present FTTC is a no go since FTTC is fibre to the cabinet where a DSLAM is installed in a new FTTC cabinet close by to the original "voice" cabinet. The connection to the customer premises is then sent using VDSL over a much shorter length of cable than that for ADSL which has to send the signal to the exchange, that is customer premises to the cab and then from the cab to the exchange.

Ofcom, or at least some regulatory body, prohibits BT from using VDSL (which is much faster than ADSL) on EO lines due to the likely higher level of cross-talk generated which would be to the detriment of all users whose telephone cables were in the same bundle.

BT did announce earlier this year that they were looking at solutions to the problem. One was to provide FTTP rather than FTTC to those on exchange lines, FTTP being fibre all the way from the exchange to the customer premises, or alternatively to install new cabinets between the exchange and the EO customers thus allowing FTTC to be installed. However for now all we can do is wait and hope that BT don't decide that these solutions are not commercially viable and as a result leave us on our slow ADSL connections surrounded by a sea of happy punters connecting via FTTC.

Thanks mate. To be fair i'm quite happy with my 2mb connection as i'm not a particulalry data heavy user. Though being able to stream live TV would be pretty cool though.

I suppose we can only hope that because we're in quite a densely populated area the figures will add up for BT or some other mob.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Aug-12 09:09:50
Print Post

Just chekced the file, there are so many SE16 XXX are {CLBER}{M_A}. Including mine postcode. It is unlikely the area will get any benefit even if BT enable Fibre Optic in Bermondsey exchange. Without FTTP or 4G, Rotherhithe will defienetly not gonna meet government min 2MB/S target. I wonder what the local council is gonna react to this blowout since Southwark has one of highest council tax in the UK.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 26-Aug-12 14:08:06
Print Post

You're just off salter road right ?
The way it was that there is a suitable cabinet near you and you would get enabled in the current plan.
Not sure when, but you should be able to get an FTTC service.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Aug-12 10:14:11
Print Post

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

I am actually on Rotherhithe street, it is gonna benefit from FTTC?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Aug-12 13:47:19
Print Post

I am actually on Rotherhithe street, it is gonna benefit from FTTC?
If you are the same Anonymous poster who is on an Exchange Only (EO) line then, no, you will not benefit from FTTC as this requires you to be connected to the exchange via a local cabinet rather than directly to the exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | [11] | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to