General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Samiola
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-13 14:07:14
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: Keziarose] [link to this post]

Hi all,

I've recently moved to the area too, SE16 6-- (EO line) and found this forum thread like many others before me. I've have gleaned plenty of information from this thread so thought I would try to contribute with a bit of info I got an from Openreach engineer recently (unfortunately not good news). Thanks also to everyone who has contributed so far.

I had to have an engineer visit to fit a new master socket because the previous owners had cut all the internal phone wiring during refurbishment then plastered over it (geniuses). He told me that there are currently only initial plans to tackle the EO issue in this area as it is a very large project and that the last he heard the ETA to delivery was an estimated ~5 years from now (!!). He noted that there are several issues (blockages, old wiring etc.) underground between Rotherhithe and the Bermondsey exchange (no further elaboration or detail as to what exactly or where). As has been previously mentioned, he confirmed BT plan on finishing their planned FTTC rollout before getting down to the work on upgrading the EO lines around here. I suppose from a business resource point of view, the teams in charge of planning the work would be the same so as those doing the FTTC roll outs. So until a slice of that planning resource is freed up by the completion of FTTC rollouts, the resources won't be made available (and it sounds like a significant amount of planning is required). Unless of course some outside funding pays for expanding the planning capacity (i.e. schemes already mentioned earlier in thread).

So it's sad news but it looks like we EO people are all stuck with slow speeds (I get around 3.5Mbps) for the foreseeable unless Virgin, Hyperoptic or someone else comes to your residence. frown
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Mon 22-Apr-13 13:10:07
Print Post

[re: Samiola] [link to this post]

Hi Samiola

We're rolling out service into buildings in the area so if you'd like some real fibre power, please register your interest via the Hyperoptic website; www.hyperoptic.com

With thanks and regards

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User teeky
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 23:55:08
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

Nothing against Hyperoptic but they're not going to serve the large number of us who don't have the luxury of living in a huge block of apartments. I've lived in this area for almost 4 years now in three different locations and I've only seen my downloads go down between moves, I'm at 1.8mbps at my current place which only just gets me iPlayer streaming in SD. I love the area but this situation is pretty incredible.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User devr0s
(newbie) Wed 01-May-13 09:40:45
Print Post

While i can't give info for SE16, i live in SE8 (connect to CLBER exchange) and decided to go with plusnet a couple of weeks ago. I have to say first off that so far their support has been first rate. As i cant get fibre i went for the unlimited BB package and was guestimated at a 5.5mb speed, which was the same as every other broadband provider. Interestingly sky gave me an estimated speed between 7-11mb, decided not to go with sky with the inflated prices. I went with plusnet due to the priority management and seemingly good CS. The actual speed i'm getting however is a sync at 8128kb and a speed of around 700kb/sec up to a peak of 1mb/sec. I'm still in the 10 day grace period so this may slow down after the first 2 weeks but so far i'm impressed with speeds given that i was expecting a 5mb line.
Also the quality of the line is superb. I dont live that close to CLBER (about 2 ish miles) and am getting a very solid 30ms ping to bbc.co.uk with interleaving on. Yesterday my connection reported interleaving off so i tested the ping again and it went down to 15ms, basically as good as i was getting with VM without the Packet Loss.
So far so good in my view with plusnet. Their forum response times seem to be very quick too.
Standard User franfif
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 17:08:12
Print Post

[re: devr0s] [link to this post]

Any news on BT Infinity or Hyperoptic in the Rope Street/Baltic Quay/Rainbow Quay area of SE16? Fed up with the 2Mbps broadband speeds I am getting.
Standard User BoredOctopus
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 13:21:08
Print Post

[re: franfif] [link to this post]

Apparently Simon Hughes wrote to BoJo about this:

http://simonhughes.org.uk/en/article/2012/644310/sim...

No sign of a reply yet so perhaps it's worth raising the issue with Mr Hughes again.
Standard User BoredOctopus
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 09:41:03
Print Post

[re: BoredOctopus] [link to this post]

Mailing BT Openreach about this I got the following response:

Dear Sir,

E/O lines are not being upgraded as part of the Openreach commercial rollout of fibre broadband. If this type of line is to be upgraded it would be via funding from your borough council.
To enquire, it is worth contacting your London Assembly Member or local council to register your interest in case any government funding becomes available to help fund deployment.
You may also wish to lobby your Assembly Member or local councillor on progress gaining funding for such deployment from the Government. You can also register your interest on the Openreach website at; http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/expression-...
There are no plans to upgrade E/O lines before any funding is put in place.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

A list of the members of the London Assembly can be found here: http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assem...

I've mailed a few of them with something like this:

Dear ASSEMBLY MEMBER NAME,

As you may be aware, broadband speeds in Rotherhithe are very poor. BT Openreach is currently performing a rollout of fibre optic broadband across the country, unfortunately this is not going to be available to any premises connected to the exchange directly rather than through a cabinet on the street.

Talking to BT Openreach it appears that BT have no plans to address this problem. The alternative of installing fibre to the premises directly (only possible if the exchange is upgraded) is likely to be prohibitively expensive, if it ever even becomes possible.

I wondered if the London Assembly had discussed funding with the BDUK to resolve this situation?

Yours Sincerely,

MY NAME

MY ADDRESS
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:57:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Keziarose:
Hello everyone!

I'm currently living in SE16 4-- and have pretty speedy internet although it randomly drops out for no reason at the weekend (grrr Virgin)
Anyway, we're moving to SE16 6-- and I'm looking into choosing Plusnet.
Anyone used them around the area?
Can't believe just down the road speeds are tripled, ridiculous!

It is - even outside of London we get this.

I can get 8mbps - across the road they can get 60 via FTTC - my cab is not included in the rollout.

I did have access to 120mbps from Virgin - but as I talk about quality broadband I will leave them out.
Standard User Keziarose
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-13 13:11:24
Print Post

[re: devr0s] [link to this post]

Tar for the info. We went with Plusnet in the end and are very happy with them! After reading this forum we weren't expecting anything amazing and currently get around 3.7mb which is adequate enough and let's us all watch videos no problem.

I mainly have to praise them because our new build house was built without a landline (lazy, greedy landlord I expect) and we negotiated between them and BT for 4 months before getting connected. Plusnet were always helpful, understanding and on the case. Cannot say the same for BT Openreach who sent out the wrong engineers 6 (!) times and ended up having to resort to the troubleshoot engineer who said the others had been lazy and completed the job in 3 hours. After 12 engineer visits and installations, we didn't have to pay a penny extra as it all came under the £70 installation fee. They fought our case to BT well and the unlimited package is great value.
Standard User Keziarose
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-13 13:12:49
Print Post

[re: teeky] [link to this post]

Exactly! It's all very well living in swanky apartments but I'm living behind them with 2 other students. We have a bit of money too, connect all of us!
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to