General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 14:13:48
Print Post

Re: Gwent Court

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Are you in Gwent Court? Cabinet 60 only serves the SE16 5SW postcode from what I can see. This is the downside of FTTrN that it will only serve a small footprint

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 14:43:18
Print Post

Re: Gwent Court

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No not in Gwent Court myself, seems crazy to be testing there when i am further away, in fact i think i'm one of the furthest away from the exchange frown

All1
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Sat 10-Oct-15 01:15:07
Print Post

MAYBE some good news

Got an SE16 newsletter this week and it spoke about BT pulling it's finger out of it's ..... well you know where and came up with this press release

BT announces investment to expand fibre broadband rollout in London Borough of Southwark.

BT today announced plans for an expansion of high-speed fibre broadband in the London Borough of Southwark.

Openreach, BT’s local network business, will make fibre available to an additional 18,000 localhomes and businesses in the next two years, taking the company’s total coverage for fibre in the borough to more than 101,000 premises.

The new investment in Southwark is part of a city-wide programme that will increase fibre coverage in every London borough. The roll out will increase overall fibre availability across London, taking all networks into account, from around 90 per cent[1] to around 95 per cent of premises. The Openreach fibre network is already the largest in London, covering nearly three million homes and businesses.

BT is spending more than £3 billion on Openreach’s deployment of fibre across the UK, and the work in Southwark is part of an additional £50 million that the company earmarked for UK cities last year.

London is already one of the best connected cities in the world, with every business in the capital able to access speeds of 1Gb/s and above through special high capacity ultrafast dedicated lines. An independent study* already rates London second only to Seoul as the best in the world for broadband quality.

Joe Garner, chief executive of Openreach, said: “Openreach engineers have been working flat out to bring fibre to more than 23 million homes and businesses across the country in record time - and the number is continuing to grow rapidly. Our investment has helped make the UK’s broadband infrastructure among the best in Europe.

“Installing fibre in urban areas can be challenging, but thanks to new techniques and extra investment we will now be able to reach hundreds of thousands of additional homes and businesses across London.”

Andrew Campling, General Manager for London in BT Group, added: “I’m delighted

that BT is able to make a further investment in fibre broadband within the London Borough of Southwark. Whilst fibre broadband is already available to the vast majority of premises across London, we’ve been exploring options that will enable us to expand our coverage in Southwark, for example by working closely with the council on a trial of new technology in Rotherhithe.Given feedback that we’ve had to date, I’m confident that the residents and businesses in the additional parts of the borough where fibre broadband will now become available will be very pleased.”

BT’s new investment is focusing on three areas:

Upgrading city cabinets that weren’t part of the original commercial plans due to technical challenges or local planning restrictions
Rolling out ‘fibre to the remote node’ (FTTRN) and to fibre broadband cabinets that serve multi-dwelling units, such as apartment blocks
Continuing to ensure the new fibre network is available on an ‘equivalent’ basis to all internet service providers that use the Openreach network. That means companies competing with BT Consumer and BT Business can deliver faster broadband to their customers, paying Openreach the same as BT’s own divisions.

Openreach’s fibre network is open to all broadband service providers on equal terms, ensuring that businesses and consumers benefit from intense competition, a wide choice of supplier and low prices.

Ends

Well there you have it, personally i still have no idea if this will help me as i'm on an EO line, have spoke to our wonderful new MP, who is as much use as a wet paper bag, didn't take him long to be as lazy as the last git we had but hey ho.

All1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 00:49:01
Print Post

Re: MAYBE some good news

On the other hand

BT have announced 18000 new fibre broadband connections for Southwark. This is part of the £50m BT Cities project that will see 360000 new fibre connections shared across all London Boroughs over the next two years.

The project primarily focuses on upgrading existing cabinets that weren't part of the original upgrades and rolling out fibre broadband services that serve multi-dwelling units, such as apartment blocks.

BT are proposing to use FTTRN (Fibre-to-the –remote-note) technology to connect the following council owned blocks in Rotherhithe: Courthope House, Pine House and Ritchie House, conditional on the buildings being suitable. The installation will be similar to the trial for the 16 flats in Gwent Court, Rotherhithe Street.

BT will be adding a fibre cabinet to the existing telephone cabinet at Needleman Street (on the corner of Surrey Quays Road). This cabinet primarily serves Woodland Crescent. A new rack will be added to the fibre cabinet on Salter Road (by Lagardo Mews). This cabinet serves the Globe Pond Road and Russia Dock Road areas.

Rotherhithe has very few cabinets as the majority of properties are connected directly to the exchange (known as Exchange Only lines) so BT are proposing to install five new roadside telephone and fibre cabinets. They have identified the following locations:

Timberpond Road (opposite Bacon’s and on the corner of Lagardo Mews)
Redriff Road (near the new Quebec Quarter development)
Surrey Quays Road (by the Library)
Plough Way (near Lighter Close)
Onega Gate (near Finland Street)

There is no details of which properties will be served by these new cabinets. BT has informed Southwark that these new installations will be 450 line cabinets. Our contact at BT Openreach has confirmed that these cabinets are currently outlined to be the combined telephone and fibre cabinets designed specifically for exchange only line upgrades. These cabinets can handle around 450 telephone lines and 128 fibre lines. (ie. they can serve up to 450 telephone lines of which 128 can have fibre broadband).

BT planning is still in the survey stage and we probably won't know exactly what BT decides to install until they do it. Currently the plans shared with Southwark Council show the actual amount of new fibre connections will be around 1000.

In July Andrew Campling from BT, after a meeting with Southwark Council, claimed that fibre coverage in Rotherhithe would increase to around 70% of properties over the next two years. It is hard to see how BT will get anyway close to this figure based on the proposed upgrades. We have already raised concerns about the homes in Rotherhithe that still have no planned upgrade. In July this looked to be around 30% of homes, now it appears it will be closer to 65% of homes which will have no access to better broadband (either BT, Virgin or Hyperoptic).

It's worth noting that BT's connection figures are about how many premises that have telephone lines that can access a fibre connection not how many lines that can actually be connected. BT class telephone lines that can potentially have fibre as being fibre-enabled even though only 25% of these lines can be connected to fibre when the capacity of the fibre cabinet is reached. This is usually fine as the average uptake of BT fibre services is around 25% but as broadband is so poor in Rotherhithe and there are few, if any, alternatives the demand is likely to be far higher than what BT is planning to install. This has been an issue with the fibre cabinet on Salter Rd and a couple of cabinets in the Hawkestone Estate area where there are not enough fibre connections to meet demand. These residents are told that their lines are fibre-enabled but unfortunately they cannot access fibre services.

Even with the planned upgrades Southwark will remain at the bottom of the London Boroughs for overall access to superfast broadband. Based on connection figures from BT, Virgin, Hyperoptic, OFCOM and thinkbroadband, the majority of London Boroughs with have superfast connections in excess of 95% by 2017 with over half reaching 98% or above. Southwark will have around 88% access with Bermondsey and Old Southwark languishing at around 77%.

So hugely oversubscribed i suspect, and loads of us will still be maxing out at 3mbits WOW

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 10:03:45
Print Post

The coverage question mark is all down to how you define the area e.g. the constituency that covers the area is around the 75% mark
http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/?area=E14000553...

In areas where cabinets have filled up then extra have been added, though not seen this in a onesie deployment yet.

There is also the prospect of encouraging more Virgin Media deployment, though they generally avoid flats it seems.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:06:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by alloneword:
On the other hand

BT have announced 18000 new fibre broadband connections for Southwark. This is part of the £50m BT Cities project that will see 360000 new fibre connections shared across all London Boroughs over the next two years.
<cut>
Southwark will have around 88% access with Bermondsey and Old Southwark languishing at around 77%.

So hugely oversubscribed i suspect, and loads of us will still be maxing out at 3mbits WOW

All1

I got the above mailing too - and if I'm honest, any progress is welcome as they've done sod all about Southwark so far. I wouldn't mind FTTC or FTTRN, anything to get above 3Mbits.

There is sadly nothing else we can do except wait, the freeholder her in hithe point is blocking installs of hyperoptic, virgin are unlikely to come down here, so there is no other option.

Progress, if in fits and spurts.

Gavs
Standard User redstonedust
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 06:51:40
Print Post

EO line too - Bywater Place
After initially thinking *finally.... something*, I checked the map for those locations and suspect we're not deemed worthy of anything approaching a basic service.
Still... willing to be proved wrong.
Happy for those in the rotherhithe penninsula who hopefully will benefit - I'm sure even a modest improvement would make a significant difference to them.
red
0.8 Mbps (on a good day)
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Thu 29-Oct-15 18:35:42
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

More digging and pipe laying on needleman street this week outside woodland crescent. BT are certainly using polish contractors for something !
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-15 02:06:17
Print Post

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:
More digging and pipe laying on needleman street this week outside woodland crescent. BT are certainly using polish contractors for something !

This came to me via the "Rotherhithe Broadband Group"

BT are proposing to use FTTRN (Fibre-to-the –remote-note) technology to connect the following council owned blocks in Rotherhithe: Courthope House, Pine House and Ritchie House, conditional on the buildings being suitable. The installation will be similar to the trial for the 16 flats in Gwent Court, Rotherhithe Street.

BT will be adding a fibre cabinet to the existing telephone cabinet at Needleman Street (on the corner of Surrey Quays Road). This cabinet primarily serves Woodland Crescent. A new rack will be added to the fibre cabinet on Salter Road (by Lagardo Mews). This cabinet serves the Globe Pond Road and Russia Dock Road areas.

Rotherhithe has very few cabinets as the majority of properties are connected directly to the exchange (known as Exchange Only lines) so BT are proposing to install five new roadside telephone and fibre cabinets. They have identified the following locations:

Timberpond Road (opposite Bacon’s and on the corner of Lagardo Mews)
Redriff Road (near the new Quebec Quarter development)
Surrey Quays Road (by the Library)
Plough Way (near Lighter Close)
Onega Gate (near Finland Street)

There is no details of which properties will be served by these new cabinets. BT has informed Southwark that these new installations will be 450 line cabinets. Our contact at BT Openreach has confirmed that these cabinets are currently outlined to be the combined telephone and fibre cabinets designed specifically for exchange only line upgrades. These cabinets can handle around 450 telephone lines and 128 fibre lines. (ie. they can serve up to 450 telephone lines of which 128 can have fibre broadband).

BT planning is still in the survey stage and we probably won't know exactly what BT decides to install until they do it. Currently the plans shared with Southwark Council show the actual amount of new fibre connections will be around 1000.

In July Andrew Campling from BT, after a meeting with Southwark Council, claimed that fibre coverage in Rotherhithe would increase to around 70% of properties over the next two years. It is hard to see how BT will get anyway close to this figure based on the proposed upgrades. We have already raised concerns about the homes in Rotherhithe that still have no planned upgrade. In July this looked to be around 30% of homes, now it appears it will be closer to 65% of homes which will have no access to better broadband (either BT, Virgin or Hyperoptic).

It's worth noting that BT's connection figures are about how many premises that have telephone lines that can access a fibre connection not how many lines that can actually be connected. BT class telephone lines that can potentially have fibre as being fibre-enabled even though only 25% of these lines can be connected to fibre when the capacity of the fibre cabinet is reached. This is usually fine as the average uptake of BT fibre services is around 25% but as broadband is so poor in Rotherhithe and there are few, if any, alternatives the demand is likely to be far higher than what BT is planning to install. This has been an issue with the fibre cabinet on Salter Rd and a couple of cabinets in the Hawkestone Estate area where there are not enough fibre connections to meet demand. These residents are told that their lines are fibre-enabled but unfortunately they cannot access fibre services.

Even with the planned upgrades Southwark will remain at the bottom of the London Boroughs for overall access to superfast broadband. Based on connection figures from BT, Virgin, Hyperoptic, OFCOM and thinkbroadband, the majority of London Boroughs with have superfast connections in excess of 95% by 2017 with over half reaching 98% or above. Southwark will have around 88% access with Bermondsey and Old Southwark languishing at around 77%.

It might help you but for me i'm still stuck trying to get HD streaming let alone getting near 4k streaming speeds.

All1
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 03-Nov-15 00:40:40
Print Post

Does anyone have any idea on finding out when these will be going live and if my addy will be covered, in a nutshel how can i get to the front of the queue?

All1
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | [21] | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to