General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 14-Dec-16 12:55:27
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Curious to see how long it takes for this cabinet to fill up. That area is not the worst there is in Rotherhithe in terms of ADSL speeds but still pretty awful and as soon as the word spreads, most of them will most likely try to upgrade...
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:40:15
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alloneword:
Still zip for the rest of us m8 but anything to do with this

https://twitter.com/broadbandSE16/status/80867882229...

Yes, I told him that (probably why he tweeted it).

You should follow http://broadbandse16.co.uk/news/newplans. Same bloke.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:45:20
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

There are a few other new green cabs going up. This morning I saw two contractors wiring up the one on Redriff Road just about opposite Onega Gate.

I think the work on the ground is in advance of the websites reporting on them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 17:19:07
Print Post

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

They seem still determined to ignore the riverside of Rotherhithe Street. It is a long chain of 1.5-4Mb/s connections, all of them EO. All Openreach projects seem to be targeting the centre of the peninsula or landside of Rotherhithe Street, which of course is nice for those who live there but frustrating for us on the river side.

At least something is happening, albeit slowly.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 00:09:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:
There are a few other new green cabs going up. This morning I saw two contractors wiring up the one on Redriff Road just about opposite Onega Gate.

I saw that today as i drove past and trying to have a quick nose it looked like it was related to the development at the "quebec curve" roundabout, i'll take a walk over there and see if i can speak to anyone later today

All1
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:23:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:

I saw that today as i drove past and trying to have a quick nose it looked like it was related to the development at the "quebec curve" roundabout, i'll take a walk over there and see if i can speak to anyone later today

All1

It's not opposite Onega gate, it's right next to the speed camera opposite Norway Gate. I will try and find the cabinet number tomorrow. They had an adjacent manhole cover up today, I assume splicing pairs.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:24:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by hvis42:
They seem still determined to ignore the riverside of Rotherhithe Street. It is a long chain of 1.5-4Mb/s connections, all of them EO. All Openreach projects seem to be targeting the centre of the peninsula or landside of Rotherhithe Street, which of course is nice for those who live there but frustrating for us on the river side.

At least something is happening, albeit slowly.

I thought you had virgin cable down rotherhithe street ?
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:26:24
Print Post

All1

The "quebec curve" development (the brand new one on the roundabout) already has cabinets, there's a row of them on quebec way - I assume because there are a few new developments down that road.

it looks to me like BT are finally doing something sensible on the rotherhithe peninsula, I hope everyone is finally covered - the population density warrants it.

Edited by gavsdavs (Wed 21-Dec-16 17:27:02)

Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-16 12:46:20
Print Post

No, we don't. Accourding to Thinkbroadband maps Virgin is present in a tiny bit of Rotherhithe Street behind Brunel museum, but from there to Surrey Docks farm pretty much nothing. There appears to be a single, isolated green dot somewhere, but it might be a school as I remember from somewhere Virgin has connected all schools in the area.

From this perspective I find it a bit curious Virgin always seems to end up in "your area didn't quite make it to the top of our list" situation with Rotherhithe, even though they already have some trunk infrastructure here because of schools. Had they done this a couple of years ago, they would have gotten 100% sign up. Now hyperoptic has eroded the business case for Virgin and BT to do anything.

Hyperoptic seems to be there in most of the larger blocks, which leaves only smaller buildings in a limbo. There are many "large" (hyperoptic sense) blocks on the riverside and most of them seem to have been connected.

I've managed to get Hyperoptic promise "in theory" that if a large block next to us would sign up, they could maybe do us at the same time. Sadly they are still requiring many more people to show interest in the larger building before anything happens.

I sort of think it will be either Virgin or Hyperoptic for us to solve the problem. Openreach does not have any activity in this area and from "in scope" to "fttc available" it is a long, long journey, and we are not even in scope yet. I am curiously waiting for Virgin to announce their next areas to be connected.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Thu 22-Dec-16 13:35:54
Print Post

Getting Hyperoptic into a development isn't easy - I tried and met resistance from the freeholder and residents.

Hyperoptic wanted to put termination gear into one central building and trunk ethernet across the fronts of buildings to all the other buildings (sensible enough). This was enough for the residents of the houses who were going to be trunked across - to refuse - and it kyboshed the entire install.

The freeholder wanted to be consulted (and paid) because, well, they're the freeholder, they want their coin.

I honestly thought Rotherhithe street was cabled up when they first put in CATV, because it was there then ! The rest of the area has been built since then.

As a result, it's looking like it really is only BT who can deliver to you - they have the ducts, and they are doing stuff in the area to FTTC people up. I actually think they recognise the demand now, I've seen quite a few cabinets go up over the last few months.

This (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38397304) may also be useful investment (though you can hardly call rotherhithe remote, it might as well be the hebrides).

Best of luck.

Edited by gavsdavs (Thu 22-Dec-16 14:24:28)

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | [23] | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to