General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | [25] | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-16 00:09:06
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

it's the only way to go for us poor mugs who are getting shafted,
Shafted how? Why precisely do you feel a commercial company, be they BT or VM, should provide you with a fast broadband connection at a loss? I like many others have helped ourselves by gap funding the installation of a fibre cab. I also live in central London, SW9 in my case, and was one of 75 properties on long EO lines connected to the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington. We were put in touch with both BT and Hyperoptic and after much discussion and fund raising we signed an agreement with BT to install an AIO cab adjacent to our development. We can all now enjoy full speed VDSL connections. We preferred to help ourselves rather than blame BT.

VM actually pass our properties however VM have repeatedly refused to provide any connections even to properties within 2 metres of the VM cable serving adjacent properties.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Sat 24-Dec-16 02:04:11
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
]Shafted how? Why precisely do you feel a commercial company, be they BT or VM, should provide you with a fast broadband connection at a loss? I like many others have helped ourselves by gap funding the installation of a fibre cab. I also live in central London, SW9 in my case, and was one of 75 properties on long EO lines connected to the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington. We were put in touch with both BT and Hyperoptic and after much discussion and fund raising we signed an agreement with BT to install an AIO cab adjacent to our development. We can all now enjoy full speed VDSL connections. We preferred to help ourselves rather than blame BT.
SW9 I can see i have nothing to complain about then.

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-16 03:33:11
Print Post

SW9 I can see i have nothing to complain about then
It was a long haul and we got little help. Lambeth weren't interested and the mayor, at the time Boris, was more interested in seeing commercial properties rather than domestic enabled. Our investigations started in 2011/12 when we first obtained proposals from both Hyperoptic and BT. In both cases more than we could afford. It took until November 2014 for enough of us to get the funds in place and I eventually signed the agreement with BT on behalf of the residents in late March 2015. Our new cab was stood in Dec 2015 but nothing happened for the next six months due to Lambeth refusing to allow BT to install the necessary conduit. We found Lambeth to be most unhelpful here and on other matters and they seem to have little regard for their residents. We finally went live at the end of September this year. So, five years from start to finish and I will readily admit we had it easy as we were able to raise the funds using a method peculiar to our situation since we all lived on the same late 1980s development. It must be so much harder where there isn't an existing community to build on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alloneword
(member) Sun 25-Dec-16 02:02:41
Print Post

It was a long haul and we got little help. Lambeth weren't interested and the mayor, at the time Boris, was more interested in seeing commercial properties rather than domestic enabled. Our investigations started in 2011/12 when we first obtained proposals from both Hyperoptic and BT. In both cases more than we could afford. It took until November 2014 for enough of us to get the funds in place and I eventually signed the agreement with BT on behalf of the residents in late March 2015. Our new cab was stood in Dec 2015 but nothing happened for the next six months due to Lambeth refusing to allow BT to install the necessary conduit. We found Lambeth to be most unhelpful here and on other matters and they seem to have little regard for their residents. We finally went live at the end of September this year. So, five years from start to finish and I will readily admit we had it easy as we were able to raise the funds using a method peculiar to our situation since we all lived on the same late 1980s development. It must be so much harder where there isn't an existing community to build on.

Now given you had to fight that much and it took that long can you now understand why people near the river are being screwed over, it's at least 2011 when people have been moaning, where i live (and i am not the worst effected by any means, i get 3.5mbits others get 1.5) we have NO sign of an upgrade, so if they agreed to do something today it will take them 12 months to be ready to take orders (comes from se16 broadband that bit) so with all the will in the world i would be a year away and that is why i have gone another route, we have tens of thousands effected here yet i'm always ready about places that have a few hundred bodies in maybe a few thousand always getting upgrades, it's a joke and what gets my goat is how we have to pay line rental for this [censored] service, I have no idea what normal line rental is as i'm getting a cheaper deal (£18 every 3 months) but i'm even fed up paying this to BT, tell us why we should pay it and not be fed up and when millions is going to areas that have a fraction of the local population why we should not feel we are being treated unfairly.
Hell the Falkland Islands have better speeds then we do round here, in fact i'm sure i read somewhere in the last month or so Southwark was the worst borough in either the country or London (not to sure which one).

Anyway enough of that, i have my router and ext aerial just need pole to mount it and some cable and sim card and hopefully i will be getting the best part of 30mbits why for us is silly speeds, as for Hyperoptic well approached them about something they thought it was a good idea and will come back to me but nothing so guess it's not that much of a priority for them, oh well off to bed it's 2am

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Dec-16 18:54:33
Print Post

screwed over
No-one is "screwing you over". Fast broadband isn't a necessity of life however desirable. That BT, Virgin, Gigaclear etc, haven't chosen to enable our areas is unfortunate and frustrating and we have both had to deal with it in our own way. These are all commercial businesses not charities so can hardly be blamed for not spending money where they feel they aren't going to see a return on their investment. If you want to blame someone blame govenment, both Labour and Tory who chose to fund BDUK and and then decided to exclude the larger cities. It's not just parts of London that have been left in the slow lane but also parts of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds to name but three others

I hope your wireless connection works out for you. It's unfortunate that there aren't enough others in you locality that feel the same as you do who are prepared to contribute £150-£200 each towards a community wide solution rather than each having to work individually as you have done.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Dec-16 20:36:37
Print Post

but also parts of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds to name but three others

BDUK don't fund:
Birmingham
Bristol
Coventry
Derby
Greater London
Kingston Upon Hull
Leicester
Luton
Manchester
Portsmouth
Salford
Southampton

Of all of those, only one seems to be getting significant FTTP: Hull.

Perhaps the blame shouldn't be on the likes of BT and VM, who are making commercial decisions based on the competitive environment they have been put into.

Perhaps the better part of the blame should be the group that created the current competitive environment: Ofcom. Where TalkTalk and Sky can make broadband appear almost free, as add-ons to their business models. Which certainly reduces prices for us consumers, but also reduces the motive to invest.

Note that the one place getting FTTP has a *significantly* different competitive environment. One that the citizens of Hull have decried for a while, but is now giving them a significantly different outcome.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-16 01:42:52
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thank you for the more complete list of excluded cities. I could have sworn Leeds was in that group and admit to being a little surprised to see that it includes Luton or even Leicester. I've always been a little intrigued at the exclusion of the like of Southampton/Portsmouth whereas Newcastle and surrounds were included. I suspect "politics" of some sort came into play although not necessarily the more obvious red/blue variety.

Perhaps the blame shouldn't be on the likes of BT and VM
I certainly don't blame those and other companies for acting in a proper commercial way since they are responsible to their shareholders rather than to Joe "I want everything for nothing and I want it now" public. You are, of course, quite correct in that the direct responsibility for much of the broadband debacle in the UK rests with OFCOM but I don't recall governments of any shade doing that much to improve matters.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 28-Dec-16 00:01:16
Print Post

"I want everything for nothing and I want it now" public.
LOL, i'd be happy with 10mbits and be happy to pay £30 a month and I and others have been waiting years so hardly
want everything for nothing and I want it now
however i have said enough on this one for now.

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-16 00:25:43
Print Post

I never said you wanted something for nothing, all the more so since you have already said that you have purchased equipment that should hopefully enable to to see somewhat better speeds. However how many others of your neighbourhood/community have done the same rather than sitting back and waiting for someone to give them what they want whilst doing nothing about it themselves?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-16 02:52:46
Print Post

I could have sworn Leeds was in that group

I recall the maps from the Superfast West Yorkshire project. There was a band of excluded areas that runs from Leeds centre to Bradford centre, but large swathes of the wider cities were not excluded.

Perhaps that's because the city councils actually control a fair amount of rural area too - both Leeds and Bradford run right up to the border with North Yorkshire - and make up pretty much the entirety of that northern section of West Yorkshire.

Maybe the others have separately-identifiable urban-only councils.

but I don't recall governments of any shade doing that much to improve matters.

It seems that any minister who stays long enough to understand the issues is rapidly replaced.
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | [25] | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to