General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-May-12 19:55:27
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

well, this is what I call a 'bad start':
Filling the form with my postcode (SE16 5ES) gives me this sad response:

"Unfortunately this postcode is not registered within our trial area, but if you have received a flyer from us please register your interest on our general expression of interest form and we will double check whether your building is one of those that we are hoping to enable with superfast broadband."

"general expression of interest" form ? cmon guys, do not make fun of people here. BT will never serve my area or they will do that far behind other prospective competitors. That form is a joke.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-May-12 21:27:50
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
"general expression of interest" form ? cmon guys, do not make fun of people here. BT will never serve my area or they will do that far behind other prospective competitors. That form is a joke.
The leaked December 11 spreadsheet shows all of the phone lines at SE16 5ES to be Exchange Only lines and thus not currently suitable for FTTC there being no cabinet where the DSLAM can be installed. There are many other areas in central London in a similar position including myself in SW9 where my development is all EO lines and we are 2km from the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington. BT isn't picking on you, there are hundres of thousands of others in a similar or worse position

Remember BT is a commercial company and required to make a profit for its shareholders. If you aren't prepared to wait for BT then consider alternatives such as Hyperoptic but be prepared to commit to spending hard cash. Speak to the managing agents, if a block of flats, and see what they suggest.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-May-12 23:24:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

@MCM: That's why I'm saying that the form is a Joke. If there's no chance to be reached by them in a reasonable time, please do not waste my time making me believing that there are possibilities..

It's all about business, exactly: HyperOptic is exactly what I'm suggesting right now. It seems to me that they have a more down-to-earth practical approach to the problem. It's all about reaching the minimum 'critical mass' of customers requesting the service and my advice is to mobilize the more people we can to reach that mass. As for 'spending cash', I have no Idea of what you mean with with 'spending hard cash': for what I know, if Hyperoptic has a sufficient number of customers requesting their service they will try to reach them; the money that I'll be 'committed' to spend will just be the advertised price of their service that, for what I see, is a very competitive one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-May-12 23:54:54
Print Post

I know, if Hyperoptic has a sufficient number of customers requesting their service they will try to reach them; the money that I'll be 'committed' to spend will just be the advertised price of their service that, for what I see, is a very competitive one.
How large is your development and how many users do you think you can get to sign up? In our case with 75 dwellings Hyperoptic quoted £17K + VAT to install fibre to each of the premises with an ongoing annual maintenance charge of £7.2K + VAT. This all in addition to a £40 per property final connection charge and the appropriate monthly fee (£12.50 to £50per month depending upon the package chosen.) Someone is going to have to pay for your installation even if by a hike in the annual service charge for your property.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 07:41:02
Print Post

It seems to me quite an odd behaviour then; no Residential customer would pay such amount of money. are we talking about the residential service ? I've been reached by Fibre Optic in the past in other countries and I never had to pay for the cost of installation/maintenance. I'll check directly with them about this 'hidden' costs.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 07:54:43
Print Post

Hey guys, one thing:

I submitted the petition, and so did my wife.. the strange thing is that I still see a count of "5" signatures if I go on the page of the petition (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34165).. Is the counter wrong ? or aren't our signatures counted at all ?? (It was already 6 when I signed mine, before my wife did the same)..
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 10:24:50
Print Post

hi guys, thanks for signning up the petition. I live in SE16 5ES too, was hoping for BT infinity later. I had a look on the peition, it is indeed only 5, but if I search peitions by key word 'Rotherhihte', the page inicates 9, a bit strange but at least it's rolling.
Cheers,
Kan
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-12 12:33:31
Print Post

It seems to me quite an odd behaviour then; no Residential customer would pay such amount of money. are we talking about the residential service ? I've been reached by Fibre Optic in the past in other countries and I never had to pay for the cost of installation/maintenance. I'll check directly with them about this 'hidden' costs.
It would appear that you have little idea of the economics involved in providing either FFTC (BT, up to £50K per FTTC cab installed) and far more for FTTP such as offered by Hyperoptic. Remember that both BT and Hyperoptic are trading companies looking to make a profit from their business. Neither they nor any other ISP to my knowledge is a charity.

Best of luck with your petition although I feel you are going to need far more than a few signatures on a petition to get anything done. Rather than government you could try approaching your local authority Southwark for support and possibly even funding.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 19:12:47
Print Post

@MCM I could agree with you that I have little knowledge of how FTTC installation works "here" in UK, since I had FTTC in my country and I can tell you for sure that its installation does not involve ANY cost on the customer (and I was the first requesting it in my block). I perfectly know that trading companies are not charity organisations; that sentence doesn't add anything to the discussion and it's quite pointless for the reason above.

The idea of approaching the local authority, though, is quite good; it could definitely be a card to play.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-12 21:01:27
Print Post

I perfectly know that trading companies are not charity organisations; that sentence doesn't add anything to the discussion and it's quite pointless for the reason above.
I mentioned this because you gave the impresion that by signing a petition and moaning a bit this would magic faster broadband out of the air. It won't. Commercial companies will only install faster access be it FTTC or FTTP/FTTH/FTTB if they feel they can make a profit. Seed money, from wherever obtained be it a grant of from local residents, can make a real difference. Remember that our problem is due to our lines being Exchange Only and there is no current mechanism whereby BT are premitted to install FTTC on such lines so for today the only solution is expensive FTTP.

Approach Southwark and ask that they apply for some of the £10-25 million that has been allocated to London under the Super-Connected cities plan to install faster broadband. As we both know it is just not the rural areas that suffer slow speeds and need help.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to