General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jun-12 13:25:35
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Home Telcom, Option 1 Broadband, typically uses the C&W network, and hence only available in some areas. At the exchange C&W typically limits the number of ‘ADLS connection sold’, based on the ‘capacity of the backbone network’ to a ratio 1:20 and hence the connection ration of 1:20. Therefore, even if C&W is at the exchange you may not be able to connect to the C&W network if they don’t have the backbone capacity.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-Jul-12 13:20:18
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Heh, it's been updated now to "December 2013". Wonderful. Maybe someone can stick a wimax antenna up over in Limehouse or something...
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-12 10:35:04
Print Post

Everybody in rotherhithe - please get your signatures on this - needs some numbers to be taken seriously.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34165

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:46:12
Print Post

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:
Everybody in rotherhithe - please get your signatures on this - needs some numbers to be taken seriously.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34165
Your issue is with BT, a public company answerable to its shareholders, not the government who cannot provide state aid without going through many hoops with the EU.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Jul-12 20:38:33
Print Post

Pity you did not check the wording before you set it up.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Jul-12 18:49:00
Print Post

I give up.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:24:43
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Thank you for your supportive and helpful comments (!)

Pressure from a government provided petition is better than shrugging and doing nothing.

I share the views of many others in this area - BT are answerable to pretty much no-one when it comes to getting stuff done in a specific area. They are a lore unto themselves. The reality of "being answerable to shareholders" translates to "Do we have to actually spend money to make money ? Sod that for a game of soldiers".

What disappoints me is that this is an extremely dense area of population (lots of blocks of flats, etc), an area *you would think* BT would want to and could easily upsell fibre based services to. That they are not showing much of an interest suggests to me that they *do* need to spend a bunch of money to get fibre down here, and that that cost is high enough to put them off it for a while.

This suggests to me (as I've mentioned previously in the thread) that they did this on the cheap when they first put the lines in.

You wouldn't believe the amount of building work still going on round here, recession or not. They people buying those properties are young professionals and families, who I guarantee will be voracious broadband consumers.

I would like to live in any area which has pre 1990 housing, such as, say - Vauxhall. At least they got copper wires.

Edited by gavsdavs (Tue 24-Jul-12 21:34:33)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:54:27
Print Post

I would like to live in any area which has pre 1990 housing, such as, say - Vauxhall. At least they got copper wires.
In our case EO lines so in a similar position to yourself with no FTTC in prospect.

Just don't hang your hopes on the petition, I consider that to be wasting your time. Better approach your local council (possibility of BDUK funding?) and, if in a block of flats, get your landlord on board as he/she can speak for multiple properties.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 19:12:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
In our case EO lines so in a similar position to yourself with no FTTC in prospect.

Just don't hang your hopes on the petition, I consider that to be wasting your time. Better approach your local council (possibility of BDUK funding?) and, if in a block of flats, get your landlord on board as he/she can speak for multiple properties.

You're going to have to help me. What does "EO Lines" and "BDUK Funding" mean ?

I think having a landlord/managing agent speak for the development is a great idea. Since they're also not really compelled to do anything about this on our behalf either, I'm going to have to help them. Where/who would they write to ?

I think part of all of our frustration is that finding out reasons for the delays from BT is impossible. Who can you contact (aside from the 'register your interest' surveys on their website) ? I would be happy to write to BT myself, but I have no idea how to get in touch with someone who is likely to respond to me.

Gavin
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Jul-12 23:30:53
Print Post

This suggests to me (as I've mentioned previously in the thread) that they did this on the cheap when they first put the lines in.
Another suggestion that might just help is if one of the group of those affected in Rotherhithe were to buy a few shares in BT, attend the next BT AGM and make a fuss and highlight the problem.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to