General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OC3D_Mul
(newbie) Fri 29-Apr-11 11:20:48
Print Post

Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[link to this post]

Since moving in to Rotherhithe, I have been using O2 Broadband's ADSL LLU package.

Using their default modem router, we used to get a link speed of 1.5-1.8Mbps however it would invariably disconnect and leave us without internet access for as long as 3 hours.

It wasn't long until we swapped the modem out with a respectable Linksys box. We now only get link speeds of ~800kbps down / ~800kbps up however we no longer suffer from drop outs. So it would seem that while up to 2mbps is possible down the line, the max stable speed is less than half of that!

Our area (like the vast majority of Rotherhithe) consists of new build properties, of which none have access to direct fibre services such as Virgin Media or BT Infinity's FTTC service. Looking at the Thinkbroadband map, it would seem that we are not suffering alone. I find it disgusting that it is possible to have such connection speeds some 2 miles from the heart of London and less than a mile from one of Europe's major financial/business districts! But I digress.

It would seem that our exchange (Bermondsey) will be enabled from December 2011, however when selecting my telephone number on the BT website, I'm told that my area is not due to be rolled out with FTTC!

Now I am aware that possible reasons include

- Location of property in relation to the home from the cabinet may not offer a stable service
- nearest cabinet may not be enabled with FTTC
- property may be connected directly to the exchange

Does anyone know where Rotherhithe stands as far as future FTTC coverage is concerned?
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Tue 10-May-11 13:56:43
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: OC3D_Mul] [link to this post]

Hello Neighbour!

Yes, ADSL in the Rotherhithe area is a disgrace. The maximum speed I can get is 2.0 Mbps, usually is less. I don't understand why Virgin hasn't already invested in cabling this area, with the right promotion they'd probably get almost 100% of the broadband users in the area.

Entering my number in the BT checker returns the same as you, so it's not clear if they ever will offer FTTC into our homes.

--------------------------
ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Standard User OC3D_Mul
(newbie) Tue 10-May-11 22:31:00
Print Post

[re: alesarco] [link to this post]

Nice to hear from someone else that lives in the broadband sink of Rotherhithe..!

I found this on the BT Community forums. It lists all cabinets which are being upgraded with FTTC/P - this includes bermondsey exchange postcodes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9860239/PCP-to-Postcode-Repo...

My postcode was not listed and so I'll have to make calls to BT to try and find out more. Perhaps you might have a little more luck?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alesarco
(learned) Fri 13-May-11 11:48:24
Print Post

No, my postcode is not there . frown
Seems like I'll have to move...

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Standard User pebblypuss
(newbie) Sat 14-May-11 14:06:52
Print Post

I lived in Frederick Sq. (SE16 5XR) and we had trouble keeping a 512k connection going. This was 6 years ago mind. From repeated conversations with engineers there, the cabinet cables split around the peninsula. Half go clockwise round via Rotherhithe Station and the rest go anti-clockwise round, via Greenland dock area. I lived at exactly the end point of the anti-clockwise cables.

I know this doesn't help much now but you can only hope for FTTC. Also have a word with your local councillors as I used to know a fair few of them (if it's still a Lib-dem area) and they do have some sway with local service providers.

Mark.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 14-May-11 17:49:08
Print Post

[re: pebblypuss] [link to this post]

Hey,

I recently moved into the Rotherhithe area and agree that the broadband is awful. I have sky and do manage to get 4mb but everywhere I have lived in London I have always been able to get better speeds that this.

My house also has points for Virgin and the street also has the boxes in the street.

In a previous place I lived the residents all signed a petetion and sent this off to Virgin and they came and cabled the area. I for one would be signing up to them if they were offered.

Is there a way of getting this set up ?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 20-May-11 14:04:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi there,

I moved into the area last Saturday and the bandwidth is apalling! I am only getting about 0.8mbps on TalkTalk. Are other providers any better? Any news on cable?
Standard User sakkie6
(newbie) Fri 20-May-11 16:40:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
In a previous place I lived the residents all signed a petetion and sent this off to Virgin and they came and cabled the area. I for one would be signing up to them if they were offered.

Is there a way of getting this set up ?

You can sign me up

Edited by sakkie6 (Fri 20-May-11 16:41:04)

Standard User sakkie6
(newbie) Fri 20-May-11 16:44:25
Print Post

Hi there,

I moved into the area last Saturday and the bandwidth is apalling! I am only getting about 0.8mbps on TalkTalk. Are other providers any better? Any news on cable?

It depends where you live. At the far end of Rotherhithe Street (next to the farm), our Sky connection was 800 kbps.

I am now close to pumphouse museum on Be, and I sync between 2000 and 3000 kbps.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 18:54:48
Print Post

I'm also in Rotherhithe, it depends where you are. Salter road's cabinets are getting FTTC (see the spreadsheet linked in the thread).Pull out the bermondsey cabinet rows, put the postcodes into google maps and you get the cab locations and a guesstimation of the houses they serve.

I live near the CW tube station in an older one of the purpose built blocks. I found out that most of the lines the laid into Rotherhithe as part of LDDC in the early 90s were aluminium, not copper (higher attenuation). This was immediately after BT privatised.

As for where we stand on FTTC. I am hoping that BT are going to let the major works near the tube station subside and then upgrade us. There has been and still is a lot of building work going on.

There are or will be a shedload of broadband customers in very dense properties round here, this may be one of the challenges. This might (though I'm not holding my breath) push BT to do FTTP, since many of the properties have cabinets for the buildings electrical and telephone wiring which might be used.

FWIW - I get 3936 kbps / 832 kbps, giving me a 3mbits profile. Line length was (a few years ago) 5.7Km, yet we're about 1.5km from the exchange as the crow fles. I use A&A.

Gotta be patient living round here, it is a central london telecomms blackspot smile

Gavs
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 19:02:35
Print Post

There is an old fashioned green cabinet here.

The image is not up to date, it's a recent arrival.

It is not yet accompanied by the newer green cabinet for FTTC.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sat 04-Jun-11 11:19:35
Print Post

I used http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showth...

This can generate a google earth kml of all the postcodes from the PCP data for a given area.

Very nifty.
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Sat 23-Jul-11 14:06:40
Print Post

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

Received from Virginmedia:

Hi Alex

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Virgin Media providing digital
services at your home.

Unfortunately for us to make this area serviceable with digital services
would be too expensive and would cost more than our current budget
allows, so therefore cannot be considered to be upgraded by our infill
activity at this time.

As we find new ways of serving areas such as this that are outwith the
existing network, we will look at your request further and may be able
to include this in build programmes in future years. However at this
time, we will not be able to provide cable service to this area.

I appreciate this is not good news, but be assured our team have
investigated this and will continue to look for other solutions that may
help us achieve this in the future.

Best regards

Alison

Alison Reid
Cablemystreet Co-ordinator
Virgin Media | 1 South Gyle Crescent Lane , Edinburgh EH12 9EG
Tel : 0131 477 5588
Email : alison.reid@virginmedia.co.u

Basically we're doomed. I just signed a new tenency agreement, so if by this time next year I don't have access to a decent broadband, I'll have no other choice but to move, which is a shame since i like the are and the flat where I live now.

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jul-11 14:00:52
Print Post

I also sent an email to Virgin and got the same response. SInce my last post I have started making a petition for the residents of Rotherhithe to sign. If a lot of people do it I will send to Virgin and see if it does any good.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jul-11 15:50:09
Print Post

Where is it to sign your petition? I have been living in Rotherhithe for two years and the internet speed really sucks. Just seen that latest UK average speed it more than 4mb/s, I get only 1.4. Not too sure if any hope later this year for BT infinity neither.
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Thu 28-Jul-11 20:45:34
Print Post

ok, where do I sign?

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 17-Oct-11 11:38:11
Print Post

Argh, bermondsey exchange is not getting FTTC until end of 2012 now, it was end of this year a few months ago. What a delay!
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Mon 17-Oct-11 21:37:00
Print Post

Suggest you look again at the dates, all it says is "2012" not "Dec 2012". The latest dates in the "coming soon" spreadsheet are "Mar 2012", so I would read anything in the "future-exchanges" spreadsheet as March 2012 or later.

So no need to despair just yet!

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 31-Oct-11 13:42:37
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

I think it's December 2012 mate!

Grab from BT's site
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Nov-11 10:46:47
Print Post

Hi - Resident in Rotherhithe for many years.
My profile is a max of 1500k and over a period of several weeks drops down to 135k, making broadband almost unusable. Problems with exchange is always the answer when I complain and try to get the profile refreshed. BT vary from refreshing profile to trying to send an engineer to review equipment in property (waste of time). The only slight consolation is that I have got a reduction in the monthly fee (I would prefer a decent service). Upgrade date is Dec 2012. Tempus Fugit.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Nov-11 14:28:05
Print Post

Been living in Rotherhithe for 2 years so far, same story, max 1.5 MB/S, normally 1.3 to 1.4. Such a shame so close to central London yet so far away in terms of investment. Even cable company is not interested in here (sure if they did they will get most of the business there).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-Nov-11 22:45:55
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London) *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-Nov-11 14:05:16
Print Post

Our forums already promote various ways for people to improve ADSL speeds, and as such your post rates as spam.

If registered and and actually helping people, rather than 100% promotion of your own product it would have survived.

From what I saw the website appeared to be a Pressac consumer supply website, and is the first I've seen to other the
http://www.slowinternet.co.uk/premium-centralised-fi...
which slips in like like i-Plate and offers an ADSL/VDSL socket.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User homerhv78
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 12:45:41
Print Post

Hi all,

Been living for 3 yrs in the area in different locations and never been better than 3mbps. Now I live near the farm and I get 2.25mbps plugging the modem directly into the master socket (FYI it gave me and extra 1mbps so it's worth the effort).

There is currently a site with news about Canada Water area (http://www.canadawater.org/), specifically about development of the area. I have emailed asking what the plans for broadband are, as increased population will kill our speeds, awaiting reply. I definitely think we should draft a model of a letter and post it to our MPs, one for each of us and ask a friend / member living in the area to do the same. I am sure there are models somewhere on the internet, just haven't had the time to search for them.

I think we can make the difference, otherwise we will always get the reply such as the one to Alex from Virgin "It is too expensive to give you that bla bla bla"

Hope we can make the difference with this!

Mariano
Standard User OC3D_Mul
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 15:22:43
Print Post

[re: homerhv78] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Glad to see someone bumping this thread to the top again. smile

I am still infuriated by the broadband situation.

The residents of Canada Water face two problems

1) The Bermondsey FTTC Upgrade - This has been postponed three times now and is currently scheduled for December 2012

2) The deployment of FTTC cabinets. Even once Bermondsey has been upgraded, there is no guarantee that your street cabinet will be retrofitted.

While we stand next to no chance of preponing the Bermondsey upgrade, I do feel that our voices can control the cabinet upgrades.

The punch line of this awful joke is that I don't even care that much about speed any more. It is the level of stability that I find completely unacceptable.

A friend told me that the apartments at Maple Quays near the tube station have FTTP. If this can be confirmed, it shows that bringing fibre to the area isn't such a tall order.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Dec-11 10:50:08
Print Post

Register interest at Hyperoptic

https://www.hyperoptic.com/web/guest/availability-check

The more interest we as consumers raise, the more likely they are to be able to push Openreach back to March 2012 to enable the Bermondsey exchange and cabinets around the area...

Also just like the save the Greenland Quay fliers going around... need people to be made aware of their below standard broadband speeds and asked to register interest and possibly sign a online petition to BT/Virgin/Hyperoptic.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Dec-11 11:08:37
Print Post

My bad... Hyperoptic don't use the exchange/cabinets, their services are FTTH!

Still would need people to be made aware and possibly get a petition signed / interest shown to these companies...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Dec-11 22:57:45
Print Post

The hyperoptic model would work best for apartment blocks, so ensure the landlord is on board too. The incentive here is that if his/her block has this service, it is more likely to attract tennants in a competitive market

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Dec-11 16:32:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep... it does seem that Hyperoptic are more spesifically targetting multi tenant apartment blocks/new developments rather than stand alone properties. Perhaps in a few months time they would consider stand alone houses too... I would love a 1 gig connection! laugh

Our best bet I guess is to get some sort of an petition going which we can send to BT/Virgin and hopefully get a positive response.
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Thu 08-Dec-11 03:54:51
Print Post

I just registered with Hyperoptic. Next week I'm going to put some flyers on the notice boards in these blocks, trying to encourage everyone to register as well.
Hopefully it will caught their attention.

Alex.

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 16:40:49
Print Post

Helloooooooooooooo from Hyperoptic!

Alex - so good to hear you've registered, please do give us a call and we'll do our best to help support you - let's start a revolution!

Kind regards

Hyperoptic
(member) Fri 09-Dec-11 18:00:46
Print Post

[re: homerhv78] [link to this post]

If you live in an apartment block register here - if enough people do it should see the same FTTP service being made available in Rotherhithe that's currently being put into the Isle of Dogs.

---

BT Infinity
Standard User alesarco
(learned) Thu 15-Dec-11 21:33:41
Print Post

Good news!
I've got a mail from someone at Hyperoptic, telling me that my postcode is one that they have considered in their sales meetings. So everyone in postcode SE16 5xx (I think that's mostly Rotherhithe Street), please register your interest with them, I'm going to send a letter to all my neighbours in the block suggesting them they register too.

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 09:53:24
Print Post

That's Fab! I'm also SE16 5XX. Already registered on the website, my buidling has over 40 flats. I wonder what's the initial installation cost to bring fibre optical directly to the buidling. But a protential probelm is that the buidling is listed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-11 10:15:52
Print Post

If the building already has some ducting infrastructure for services it would sway them a lot.

Listed status per se need not be a problem, but only if something like above was available.

Fibre can run in the same duct in a property as power/gas line and this is how it goes up and down the country, following those major routes.

(member) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:33:19
Print Post

Why would there be charges? I'm not sure Openreach are charging for installation into buildings on the Isle of Dogs. .

---

BT Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-11 12:04:32
Print Post

Different companies, different economical plans.

BT Group has a tendency to do a small amount of new deployment at very low cost, as trial work to learn how long it takes them to do the work in real situations, and then figure out what subsequent costs would be.

Or put another way, how much to charge each resident in a block for the initial activation when they sign up to a service. In theory a landlord could underwrite, as a way to ensure every flat has the fibre termination kit installed and thus create an added value feature.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jan-12 14:26:40
Print Post

Looks like my postcode isn't part of the trial... (SE16 5RH)
Chances are I'll have moved by the time FTTC eventually gets here (Dec 2012)

T
Standard User muqiunet
(newbie) Wed 25-Jan-12 11:58:53
Print Post

I have been waiting for a company to enable us, the forgotten ones living on the Rotherhithe Street, to high speed broadband. So glad to hear Hyperoptic is actually considering us as a potential target. My postcode is SE16 5RG, and I am just wondering what is the condition Hyperoptic requires before they can consider setting us up?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jan-12 12:43:18
Print Post

[re: muqiunet] [link to this post]

As a guide they are looking for blocks of flats where landlord is co-operative and most residents want the service.
A little leg work from you, could gather names and interest, maybe even sound out landlord.

There is a specific Hyperoptic section now on the site, but best to send an email to them.

Standard User alesarco
(learned) Thu 26-Jan-12 09:48:07
Print Post

muqiunet, if you live in a block of flats, try to get your neighbours interested, I did a small campaign here and Hyperoptic is at the stage of presenting a proposal to the management to see if the go ahead with an installation.

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
(member) Thu 26-Jan-12 22:15:30
Print Post

Take a look at the news story http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4996.html about FTTP to apartments, which might be helpful.

---

BT Infinity
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 31-Jan-12 21:22:30
Print Post

SE16 6XX here.

Been getting 3.0 mb quite reguarly. But not able to watch iplayer or youtube 'on the fly'.

In the last few days has anyone noticed it has got considerably worse? My O2 connection with Belkin router will barely connect when hard-wired and if you're thinking wi-fi forget it.

Show me the petitions.

Ta
Steve
Standard User giulianogibi
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-12 16:44:10
Print Post

Guys!
Giuliano here, SE16 5HT BT of course.
Line never went above 2.5Mb, which sucks!
Is there a petition to sign so? Updates?

-- get the funk out --
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 11-Feb-12 12:19:38
Print Post

[re: giulianogibi] [link to this post]

SE16 5QT - IP Profile is usually 750kbps, sometimes just 500kbps.

Jens.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Feb-12 19:55:21
Print Post

@ Jens

That really doesn't sound right... I'm just around the corner from you and get 4,000+ sync (currently 4,185 which equates to a 3.6Mb IP profile)
You might not be able to get FTTC yet, but that doesn't mean you should settle for speeds like that! Get in touch with your ISP asap!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Feb-12 15:20:34
Print Post

I work for a company at the City Business Centre near the tunnel in Rotherhithe. We have a BT Business connection.
Down is at 8mbs, up below 1.
http://www.speedtest.net/wave/017762ef3144921e

We also were told that a local BT hub is due an upgrade and that speed should improve. This was due in December 2011. Nothing happened since.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Feb-12 14:11:32
Print Post

Has any tried Three 3G tethering in Rotherhithe, what is the speed like in doors? I bet still much higher than landline broadband offer here.
Standard User OC3D_Mul
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 19:13:36
Print Post

I have indeed.

In the Canada Water area I get anywhere between 1.5mbps (middle floor, away from windows) and 4.8mbps (top floor with modem strapped to a skylight) - thats using a 21.6mbps ready 3G Huawei device.

It is better than my ADSL connection but the latencies are higher.

I'm pretty much on the verge of accepting a smaller property elsewhere in an area with fibre. It sounds terrible, but the internet connection here is simply unacceptable and after 20 months, I'm at the end of my tether.

I work with production systems at a large firm and need to remote access into work out of hours. Sometimes that is too difficult over here..!

Edited by OC3D_Mul (Mon 12-Mar-12 19:14:27)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 00:05:59
Print Post

Hi all, I live in SE16 6xx and I just wanted to say that, while the speeds here are quite low, they are not necessarily as bad as some of you seem to be getting. I am on BE, my connection sits at 5mbps and is actually very stable. Please don't settle for what you are getting now and contact your ISPs because there is a reasonable chance that you could get some improvements.

Also, someone mentioned FTTH at Maple Quays, can anyone confirm?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Mar-12 13:15:57
Print Post

Just check the BT www.openreach.co.uk/future_exchanges web site and it now states BERMONDSEY FTTC Calendar Year 2013
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 02-Apr-12 09:35:02
Print Post

What! London is government broadband boost, Rotherhithe is gonna be in internet speed poverty for longer. What a great divide!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Apr-12 14:08:25
Print Post

Has anyone tried internet dongles or satellite broadband like Tooway and are able to report on performance? I am moving very soon close to Russian Dock woodlands and was wondering about the internet speed there.
It seems like Sky, BT and Virgin are not doing a very good job so I was wondering if the dongles or satellite broadband would do a better job?

Thanks

Barbara
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Apr-12 18:35:39
Print Post

I'm in SE167xx, over the years I have tried a number of service providers, on the BT network and the maximum download speed was about 2.5mbps. But, then I got a new line with 'Bulldog' (fully unbundled), using the C&W network and my ADSL speed jumped to 4.5 mbps. I am still with Bulldog/ HomeTelecom, but now I am on the C&W ADSL2+ and my connection speeds are: 8574 kbps (down ) / 1016 kbps (up) and the line is very stable.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 08:56:41
Print Post

BT are a bunch of cowboy scumbags leaving the Bermondsey,Southwark,Stepney Green areas in absolute Broadband poverty, I only hope another company will see the massive gap in service and beat BT to it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Apr-12 10:39:27
Print Post

Perhaps they are not unduly favouring London and the patchy nature of FTTC/P are reflected in London too

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 09:11:30
Print Post

Guys, do not forget HyperOptic. They are collecting requests from customers in the area and prioritising 'who-comes-first'. Let's register our interest on their website and we'll have a chance of flying at 1GB on fiber optics!!
Standard User OC3D_Mul
(newbie) Sat 28-Apr-12 15:21:30
Print Post

Hi all, I live in SE16 6xx and I just wanted to say that, while the speeds here are quite low, they are not necessarily as bad as some of you seem to be getting. I am on BE, my connection sits at 5mbps and is actually very stable. Please don't settle for what you are getting now and contact your ISPs because there is a reasonable chance that you could get some improvements.

Also, someone mentioned FTTH at Maple Quays, can anyone confirm?

Its interesting you should mention this. Also in SE16 6xx and my speeds are less than half of this

We have already contacted O2 a number of times over drop outs and low speeds but nothing has changed. We have also tried a number of different modem routers.

This leaves me with only one option but to try another ADSL provider. However with our let ending in July, we may just move.

I have also tried the 3 network with a MIFI device. I don't feel that it is noticeably better and is at times slower.

Satellite broadband is out of the question for us as our landlord is not willing to have anything fitted to the exterior of the property - its also very expensive

The fibre provider mentioned above sounds brilliant, though by the looks of it, only of use to people in apartments?

Edit - yes, Maple Quays is fibre equipped smile

Edited by OC3D_Mul (Sat 28-Apr-12 15:22:36)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-May-12 11:04:15
Print Post

Hi guys, I have created an e-petition for faster broadband in Rotherhithe, please sign it and hopefully we can push things to happen sooner than later.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34165

Cheers,
Kan
(member) Fri 25-May-12 17:48:18
Print Post

@Kan, all
If you live in an apartment block register here - if enough people do it should see the same FTTP service being made available in Rotherhithe that's currently being put into the Isle of Dogs.

---

BT Infinity
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-May-12 19:55:27
Print Post

well, this is what I call a 'bad start':
Filling the form with my postcode (SE16 5ES) gives me this sad response:

"Unfortunately this postcode is not registered within our trial area, but if you have received a flyer from us please register your interest on our general expression of interest form and we will double check whether your building is one of those that we are hoping to enable with superfast broadband."

"general expression of interest" form ? cmon guys, do not make fun of people here. BT will never serve my area or they will do that far behind other prospective competitors. That form is a joke.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-May-12 21:27:50
Print Post

"general expression of interest" form ? cmon guys, do not make fun of people here. BT will never serve my area or they will do that far behind other prospective competitors. That form is a joke.
The leaked December 11 spreadsheet shows all of the phone lines at SE16 5ES to be Exchange Only lines and thus not currently suitable for FTTC there being no cabinet where the DSLAM can be installed. There are many other areas in central London in a similar position including myself in SW9 where my development is all EO lines and we are 2km from the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington. BT isn't picking on you, there are hundres of thousands of others in a similar or worse position

Remember BT is a commercial company and required to make a profit for its shareholders. If you aren't prepared to wait for BT then consider alternatives such as Hyperoptic but be prepared to commit to spending hard cash. Speak to the managing agents, if a block of flats, and see what they suggest.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-May-12 23:24:58
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

@MCM: That's why I'm saying that the form is a Joke. If there's no chance to be reached by them in a reasonable time, please do not waste my time making me believing that there are possibilities..

It's all about business, exactly: HyperOptic is exactly what I'm suggesting right now. It seems to me that they have a more down-to-earth practical approach to the problem. It's all about reaching the minimum 'critical mass' of customers requesting the service and my advice is to mobilize the more people we can to reach that mass. As for 'spending cash', I have no Idea of what you mean with with 'spending hard cash': for what I know, if Hyperoptic has a sufficient number of customers requesting their service they will try to reach them; the money that I'll be 'committed' to spend will just be the advertised price of their service that, for what I see, is a very competitive one.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-May-12 23:54:54
Print Post

I know, if Hyperoptic has a sufficient number of customers requesting their service they will try to reach them; the money that I'll be 'committed' to spend will just be the advertised price of their service that, for what I see, is a very competitive one.
How large is your development and how many users do you think you can get to sign up? In our case with 75 dwellings Hyperoptic quoted £17K + VAT to install fibre to each of the premises with an ongoing annual maintenance charge of £7.2K + VAT. This all in addition to a £40 per property final connection charge and the appropriate monthly fee (£12.50 to £50per month depending upon the package chosen.) Someone is going to have to pay for your installation even if by a hike in the annual service charge for your property.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 07:41:02
Print Post

It seems to me quite an odd behaviour then; no Residential customer would pay such amount of money. are we talking about the residential service ? I've been reached by Fibre Optic in the past in other countries and I never had to pay for the cost of installation/maintenance. I'll check directly with them about this 'hidden' costs.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 07:54:43
Print Post

Hey guys, one thing:

I submitted the petition, and so did my wife.. the strange thing is that I still see a count of "5" signatures if I go on the page of the petition (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34165).. Is the counter wrong ? or aren't our signatures counted at all ?? (It was already 6 when I signed mine, before my wife did the same)..
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 10:24:50
Print Post

hi guys, thanks for signning up the petition. I live in SE16 5ES too, was hoping for BT infinity later. I had a look on the peition, it is indeed only 5, but if I search peitions by key word 'Rotherhihte', the page inicates 9, a bit strange but at least it's rolling.
Cheers,
Kan
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-12 12:33:31
Print Post

It seems to me quite an odd behaviour then; no Residential customer would pay such amount of money. are we talking about the residential service ? I've been reached by Fibre Optic in the past in other countries and I never had to pay for the cost of installation/maintenance. I'll check directly with them about this 'hidden' costs.
It would appear that you have little idea of the economics involved in providing either FFTC (BT, up to £50K per FTTC cab installed) and far more for FTTP such as offered by Hyperoptic. Remember that both BT and Hyperoptic are trading companies looking to make a profit from their business. Neither they nor any other ISP to my knowledge is a charity.

Best of luck with your petition although I feel you are going to need far more than a few signatures on a petition to get anything done. Rather than government you could try approaching your local authority Southwark for support and possibly even funding.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 19:12:47
Print Post

@MCM I could agree with you that I have little knowledge of how FTTC installation works "here" in UK, since I had FTTC in my country and I can tell you for sure that its installation does not involve ANY cost on the customer (and I was the first requesting it in my block). I perfectly know that trading companies are not charity organisations; that sentence doesn't add anything to the discussion and it's quite pointless for the reason above.

The idea of approaching the local authority, though, is quite good; it could definitely be a card to play.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-12 21:01:27
Print Post

I perfectly know that trading companies are not charity organisations; that sentence doesn't add anything to the discussion and it's quite pointless for the reason above.
I mentioned this because you gave the impresion that by signing a petition and moaning a bit this would magic faster broadband out of the air. It won't. Commercial companies will only install faster access be it FTTC or FTTP/FTTH/FTTB if they feel they can make a profit. Seed money, from wherever obtained be it a grant of from local residents, can make a real difference. Remember that our problem is due to our lines being Exchange Only and there is no current mechanism whereby BT are premitted to install FTTC on such lines so for today the only solution is expensive FTTP.

Approach Southwark and ask that they apply for some of the £10-25 million that has been allocated to London under the Super-Connected cities plan to install faster broadband. As we both know it is just not the rural areas that suffer slow speeds and need help.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-May-12 21:12:26
Print Post

LOL, please, I'd like to know were exactly I gave this impression, since I never 'moaned' (please avoid using words like these, that can be disrespectful not only to me but to anyone in this forum). I just wrote a few post bringing the attention to a couple of ISP that could potentially offer a not-so-bad service in this area. Personally, I'm not even that much interested in FTTC: if we can have it, good, otherwise I would be just happy with a decent broadband service around 6-8mbit (something that only a few in the Rotherhithe area can get, mainly due to their distance from the exchange).
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-May-12 23:21:19
Print Post

Words such as "BT are a bunch of cowboy scumbags" sounds like moaning to me and does little to help your cause but since you have chosen to post anonymously that anonymous poster may not have been yourself.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 30-May-12 18:31:27
Print Post

OMG!! ROTFL!!!
@MCM
So you believe that EVERY TIME you see a post made by an anonymous user, that post is ALWAYS from the same person ?? now it seems to me that you are the one living on the moon laugh

My friend MCM, Anonymous is simply who's not registered to this forum, and there are a LOT of posters here that had something to say about broadband coverage in Rotherhithe area, not only me. I just was the 'anonymous' suggesting to keep an eye on HyperOptic and giving only constructive advices.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 30-May-12 18:38:51
Print Post

@MCM: LOL.. and now I see also the rest of your message (that was not showing up on my phone). Yes, exactly, it was not me, as you wisely guess. I simply didn't register because I'm not a frequent poster in this forum. I don't see any problem with that and this doesn't affect any conversation you can have in the forum, as long as you stick to the conversation you're having and don't fall into the easy path of starting flame wars
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-May-12 19:35:12
Print Post

May I strongly suggest that in future you try reading all of the post to which you are replying. Surely that's not too much to ask even of an anonymous poster.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 02-Jun-12 22:00:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
May I strongly suggest that in future you try reading all of the post to which you are replying. Surely that's not too much to ask even of an anonymous poster.

I have to say this MCM character sounds like a total d.ick. Accusing people of moaning on the basis of statements he is not even sure they made. Good stuff. While MCM continues to moan about others' non-existent statements, broadband continues to be slow in se16. Kan, I applaud your efforts and spirit. We can only do what is within our grasp and paying GBP30k for broadband to Hyperoptic isn't . All the best fellow infinity deprived internetizens!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 10-Jun-12 10:44:45
Print Post

Where is the "like" button ? laugh
I'll soon (end of june) move to SE16 5ES and I'll try with Home Telecom. it seems they have a contention ratio of 20:1, against the average of 30:1 (Sky) and 50:1 (BT) of other ISP.. I'll let you know what my feedback is laugh
I have to say this MCM character sounds like a total d.ick. Accusing people of moaning on the basis of statements he is not even sure they made. Good stuff. While MCM continues to moan about others' non-existent statements, broadband continues to be slow in se16. Kan, I applaud your efforts and spirit. We can only do what is within our grasp and paying GBP30k for broadband to Hyperoptic isn't . All the best fellow infinity deprived internetizens!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Jun-12 11:50:37
Print Post

Where is the "like" button ? laugh
that's on facenron
I'll soon (end of june) move to SE16 5ES and I'll try with Home Telecom. it seems they have a contention ratio of 20:1, against the average of 30:1 (Sky) and 50:1 (BT) of other ISP.. I'll let you know what my feedback is laugh
There's no such thing as contention ratios. Home telecom are likely just reselling TalkTalk.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 10-Jun-12 13:26:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

@BatBoy,

I cannot judge what I don't see for myself and I don't want to assume they're lying, because this is what they are selling: http://www.hometelecom.co.uk/contention-ratio.php
I'm happy to try them, cause I can choose a 1-2-..x months contract and judge by myself, without binding to a one-year contract like with the other ISP.. seems to me a much better way to test a provider
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Jun-12 22:28:48
Print Post

@BatBoy,

I cannot judge what I don't see for myself and I don't want to assume they're lying
You said "lying" not me. I'm just saying they are wrong. They clearly don't know anything about broadband.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jun-12 13:25:35
Print Post

Home Telcom, Option 1 Broadband, typically uses the C&W network, and hence only available in some areas. At the exchange C&W typically limits the number of ‘ADLS connection sold’, based on the ‘capacity of the backbone network’ to a ratio 1:20 and hence the connection ration of 1:20. Therefore, even if C&W is at the exchange you may not be able to connect to the C&W network if they don’t have the backbone capacity.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-Jul-12 13:20:18
Print Post

Heh, it's been updated now to "December 2013". Wonderful. Maybe someone can stick a wimax antenna up over in Limehouse or something...
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-12 10:35:04
Print Post

Everybody in rotherhithe - please get your signatures on this - needs some numbers to be taken seriously.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:46:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by gavsdavs:
Everybody in rotherhithe - please get your signatures on this - needs some numbers to be taken seriously.
Your issue is with BT, a public company answerable to its shareholders, not the government who cannot provide state aid without going through many hoops with the EU.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Jul-12 20:38:33
Print Post

Pity you did not check the wording before you set it up.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 23-Jul-12 18:49:00
Print Post

I give up.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:24:43
Print Post

Thank you for your supportive and helpful comments (!)

Pressure from a government provided petition is better than shrugging and doing nothing.

I share the views of many others in this area - BT are answerable to pretty much no-one when it comes to getting stuff done in a specific area. They are a lore unto themselves. The reality of "being answerable to shareholders" translates to "Do we have to actually spend money to make money ? Sod that for a game of soldiers".

What disappoints me is that this is an extremely dense area of population (lots of blocks of flats, etc), an area *you would think* BT would want to and could easily upsell fibre based services to. That they are not showing much of an interest suggests to me that they *do* need to spend a bunch of money to get fibre down here, and that that cost is high enough to put them off it for a while.

This suggests to me (as I've mentioned previously in the thread) that they did this on the cheap when they first put the lines in.

You wouldn't believe the amount of building work still going on round here, recession or not. They people buying those properties are young professionals and families, who I guarantee will be voracious broadband consumers.

I would like to live in any area which has pre 1990 housing, such as, say - Vauxhall. At least they got copper wires.

Edited by gavsdavs (Tue 24-Jul-12 21:34:33)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Jul-12 22:54:27
Print Post

I would like to live in any area which has pre 1990 housing, such as, say - Vauxhall. At least they got copper wires.
In our case EO lines so in a similar position to yourself with no FTTC in prospect.

Just don't hang your hopes on the petition, I consider that to be wasting your time. Better approach your local council (possibility of BDUK funding?) and, if in a block of flats, get your landlord on board as he/she can speak for multiple properties.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 25-Jul-12 19:12:58
Print Post

In our case EO lines so in a similar position to yourself with no FTTC in prospect.

Just don't hang your hopes on the petition, I consider that to be wasting your time. Better approach your local council (possibility of BDUK funding?) and, if in a block of flats, get your landlord on board as he/she can speak for multiple properties.

You're going to have to help me. What does "EO Lines" and "BDUK Funding" mean ?

I think having a landlord/managing agent speak for the development is a great idea. Since they're also not really compelled to do anything about this on our behalf either, I'm going to have to help them. Where/who would they write to ?

I think part of all of our frustration is that finding out reasons for the delays from BT is impossible. Who can you contact (aside from the 'register your interest' surveys on their website) ? I would be happy to write to BT myself, but I have no idea how to get in touch with someone who is likely to respond to me.

Gavin
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Jul-12 23:30:53
Print Post

This suggests to me (as I've mentioned previously in the thread) that they did this on the cheap when they first put the lines in.
Another suggestion that might just help is if one of the group of those affected in Rotherhithe were to buy a few shares in BT, attend the next BT AGM and make a fuss and highlight the problem.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-Jul-12 23:47:00
Print Post

You're going to have to help me. What does "EO Lines" and "BDUK Funding" mean ?

I think having a landlord/managing agent speak for the development is a great idea. Since they're also not really compelled to do anything about this on our behalf either, I'm going to have to help them. Where/who would they write to ?

I think part of all of our frustration is that finding out reasons for the delays from BT is impossible. Who can you contact (aside from the 'register your interest' surveys on their website) ? I would be happy to write to BT myself, but I have no idea how to get in touch with someone who is likely to respond to me.
Gavin,
EO lines are phone lines that go directly back to the exchange rather than going via an intermediary cabinet. Such lines are often short lines close to the exchange but there are many cases also where the lines are quite long and thus not geting the higher speeds enjoyed by EO lines closer to the exchange. In our case the line length is around 3Km but I have seen others report having EO lines of 5Km or more. Currently BT are not permitted to use VDSL on EO lines due to possible cross-talk (VDSL is used for the connection between FTTC cab and the end user rather than the slower ADSL). Even if BT were permitted to use VDSL on EO lines it wouldn't help those of us on long lines.

BDUK = Broadband Delivery UK. National Broadband Scheme for the UK: Supporting the local and community roll-out of superfast broadband

This is a scheme using a of mix of EEC and UK funding together with funds from the contract winner (to date I believe only BT has been awarded a BDUK contract) to upgrade speeds where BT has decreed that upgrading the area to not be commercially viable. Mostly being used in rural areas but I see no reason why this funding shouldn't also be used in built-up areas where speeds are still poor and well below the UK/EEC goverment target of I think 30Mbps by 2015. ThinkBroadband has numerous articles on its main site regarding BDUK.
(member) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:45:36
Print Post

Rather than BDUK money, I think its the Urban Broadband Fund for cities like London. The point is essentially the same though. Best to lobby Southwark to talk to City Hall about including your area in that covered by any Urban Broadband Funding that the Mayor gets, assuming that neither BT nor any other company is interested in providing service commercially.

---

BT Infinity
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 27-Jul-12 17:47:29
Print Post

Gavin,
EO lines are phone lines that go directly back to the exchange rather than going via an intermediary cabinet. Such lines are often short lines close to the exchange but there are many cases also where the lines are quite long and thus not geting the higher speeds enjoyed by EO lines closer to the exchange. In our case the line length is around 3Km but I have seen others report having EO lines of 5Km or more. Currently BT are not permitted to use VDSL on EO lines due to possible cross-talk (VDSL is used for the connection between FTTC cab and the end user rather than the slower ADSL). Even if BT were permitted to use VDSL on EO lines it wouldn't help those of us on long lines.

BDUK = Broadband Delivery UK. National Broadband Scheme for the UK: Supporting the local and community roll-out of superfast broadband

This is a scheme using a of mix of EEC and UK funding together with funds from the contract winner (to date I believe only BT has been awarded a BDUK contract) to upgrade speeds where BT has decreed that upgrading the area to not be commercially viable. Mostly being used in rural areas but I see no reason why this funding shouldn't also be used in built-up areas where speeds are still poor and well below the UK/EEC goverment target of I think 30Mbps by 2015. ThinkBroadband has numerous articles on its main site regarding BDUK.

I'm guessing EO means "Exchange Only" (or something like that?)

The funny thing is - there is evidence (from https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid...
that BT are FTTC/FTTPing postcodes very near me.
My postcode is SE166PS. Bung it in google earth. Other blocks in the same development are SE166P*
The postcodes SE166XE (FTTC), SE166RF, SE166RG, SE166RH, SE166RJ, SE166RL (All FTTP) *are* on the list.
SE166XE is the nearest, but clearly serves an adjacent development, not ours. The cable path for that MUST come down the same road.
SE166RF, SE166RG, SE166RH, SE166RJ, SE166RL are individual blocks built 3/4 years ago on the main road (300 yards away)

This suggests to me that they *can* get fibre down my road, they've just chosen not to do this development for some reason and obviously, I'd like to know why.

Has any body any ideas as to who to contact to understand their decision making process ?

Gavin

Edited by gavsdavs (Fri 27-Jul-12 17:48:16)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Jul-12 22:45:28
Print Post

I'm guessing EO means "Exchange Only" (or something like that?)
Which is what I thought I had said. smile OK, I said "EO lines are phone lines that go directly back to the exchange rather than going via an intermediary cabinet" so didn't explicitly state Exchange Only.

As for SE16 6PS, 93% of the lines at that postcode are EO lines so no FTTP or FTTC for now, perhaps later once BT and Ofcom agree how EO lines are to be dealt with. The remaining lines at SE16 6PS are connected to PCP58 and there were no plans, as at Dec 2011, to roll-out FTTC for that cab.

Regrettably we appear to be in much the same boat. frown
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sat 28-Jul-12 22:15:23
Print Post

Openreach has already said what it intends to do with EO lines, theirs 2 offers one is to BDUK project where Openreach are willing to do Network rearrangements

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

The second option is (taken from a update to a new post on this site)

We asked Openreach about the issue of Exchange Only lines back in April 2012, and received a response regarding those lines or groups of lines run directly from the exchange, which is usually those closest to the exchange or new estates located further from the exchange. Openreach has said that where technically and economically feasible they will provide either a FTTC (via new cabinet) or FTTP service, this is done on a case-by-case basis as the roll-outs progress. We believe pressure to hit the 66% figure as soon as possible, means these areas will mainly be waiting until 2014, or for the various BDUK projects to start producing results.

So their are plans in place for EO lines, just a wait till Openreach visit the problem, the urban cities fund will likely use network rearrangement to solve the EO line issue.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 29-Jul-12 13:17:13
Print Post

As for SE16 6PS, 93% of the lines at that postcode are EO lines so no FTTP or FTTC for now, perhaps later once BT and Ofcom agree how EO lines are to be dealt with. The remaining lines at SE16 6PS are connected to PCP58 and there were no plans, as at Dec 2011, to roll-out FTTC for that cab.

How have you found that percentage ? There are 16 flats in the property at SE166PS, does that suggest one of them *isn't* EO ? How can that be ?
I'm also curious as to how you have got the information that the 7% (I'm assuming one flat) is connected to PCP58 ?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:37:20
Print Post

How have you found that percentage ? There are 16 flats in the property at SE166PS, does that suggest one of them *isn't* EO ? How can that be ?
I'm also curious as to how you have got the information that the 7% (I'm assuming one flat) is connected to PCP58 ?
Details obtained from the leaked December 2011 BT spreadsheet to which there are numerous links in the Fibre Broadband forum. As to one line being connected via a PCP this could be the first line that was installed and initially used by the building contractors.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:52:16
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
So their are plans in place for EO lines, just a wait till Openreach visit the problem, the urban cities fund will likely use network rearrangement to solve the EO line issue.
Such proposals make no account for the commercial viability for these changes. BT isn't going to install a new cab so as to enable FTTC for a development of 75 properties 3km from the exchange without considerable third party funding.

Your optimism is gratifying however I need to see more details of BT's plans before getting too excited.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 29-Jul-12 18:36:54
Print Post

I've linked it as you didnt:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_m5Gbpvm--mZDQ0Njg...
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Jul-12 19:51:21
Print Post

I've linked it as you didnt:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_m5Gbpvm--mZDQ0Njg...
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure as to which was a current link, the one I used having long since gone AWOL.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Aug-12 11:29:33
Print Post

I have given up on BT Infinity as I have checked since it was announced and each year it has been due on various dates such as Dec 2010, 2011, 2012 and now Dec 2013.

Very disappointed and I guess I will have to wait to see if at the end of 2013 the dates will change again to 2014 frown

I live in SE16 6NN and have a 2mb download 400kb upload with Sky that is at least it is a stable connection.

I often use my T-Mobile Mifi often get 4mb to 5mb connections but of course this in not unlimited.

The exchange information for my post code is as below but I am not sure what it mean smile can you help or suggest other options please.

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP
CLBER BERMONDSEY SE166NN {CLBER}{P57} 0 100% 10.01 9b Yes FTTC
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Aug-12 03:53:28
Print Post

The exchange information for my post code is as below but I am not sure what it mean smile can you help or suggest other options please.

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP
CLBER BERMONDSEY SE166NN {CLBER}{P57} 0 100% 10.01 9b Yes FTTC
This means that 100% of the lines in your postcode are connected to Cab 57 on the Bermondsey exchange and that FTTC is due to be installed in phase 9b. The "uplift" for lines in your postcode is estimated to be 10.01 which would give a 20Mb connection if you currently connect at 2Mb which might suggest that you are some distance from cab 57 but nevertheless is a considerable improvement and there is a good chance that the actual connection will be better than this.

Phase 9b was announced by BT on 20 March 2012 but have no idea when work is likely to start, different areas seem to be in different phases, possibly due to unplanned or unexpected delays, but I believe that phase 9a work is underway in some areas which might mean that 9b is is planned for later this year or early 2013.

Edited by MCM (Fri 17-Aug-12 03:54:14)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Aug-12 21:25:06
Print Post

Hi MCM,

Thanks for your informative posts. I'm in SE16 too and have used your information and the spreadsheets to ascertain that i'm connected to cabinet {CLBER}{M_A}.

Can you help me fathom what that means?

Cheers.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Aug-12 23:40:39
Print Post

Thanks for your informative posts. I'm in SE16 too and have used your information and the spreadsheets to ascertain that i'm connected to cabinet {CLBER}{M_A}.

I'm sorry but that, for the next year or possibly longer, is bad news. It means that your phone line, like mine on the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington, is what is called an Exchange Only (EO) line. This means that your line goes directly to the exchange and not via a local cabinet so for the present FTTC is a no go since FTTC is fibre to the cabinet where a DSLAM is installed in a new FTTC cabinet close by to the original "voice" cabinet. The connection to the customer premises is then sent using VDSL over a much shorter length of cable than that for ADSL which has to send the signal to the exchange, that is customer premises to the cab and then from the cab to the exchange.

Ofcom, or at least some regulatory body, prohibits BT from using VDSL (which is much faster than ADSL) on EO lines due to the likely higher level of cross-talk generated which would be to the detriment of all users whose telephone cables were in the same bundle.

BT did announce earlier this year that they were looking at solutions to the problem. One was to provide FTTP rather than FTTC to those on exchange lines, FTTP being fibre all the way from the exchange to the customer premises, or alternatively to install new cabinets between the exchange and the EO customers thus allowing FTTC to be installed. However for now all we can do is wait and hope that BT don't decide that these solutions are not commercially viable and as a result leave us on our slow ADSL connections surrounded by a sea of happy punters connecting via FTTC.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Aug-12 11:22:24
Print Post

Hello guys, i am moving into a new house in redriff road, in rotherhithe. Do you know which internet provider should i choose and whats the max speed i can get approximately?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 20-Aug-12 20:56:00
Print Post

I'm sorry but that, for the next year or possibly longer, is bad news. It means that your phone line, like mine on the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington, is what is called an Exchange Only (EO) line. This means that your line goes directly to the exchange and not via a local cabinet so for the present FTTC is a no go since FTTC is fibre to the cabinet where a DSLAM is installed in a new FTTC cabinet close by to the original "voice" cabinet. The connection to the customer premises is then sent using VDSL over a much shorter length of cable than that for ADSL which has to send the signal to the exchange, that is customer premises to the cab and then from the cab to the exchange.

Ofcom, or at least some regulatory body, prohibits BT from using VDSL (which is much faster than ADSL) on EO lines due to the likely higher level of cross-talk generated which would be to the detriment of all users whose telephone cables were in the same bundle.

BT did announce earlier this year that they were looking at solutions to the problem. One was to provide FTTP rather than FTTC to those on exchange lines, FTTP being fibre all the way from the exchange to the customer premises, or alternatively to install new cabinets between the exchange and the EO customers thus allowing FTTC to be installed. However for now all we can do is wait and hope that BT don't decide that these solutions are not commercially viable and as a result leave us on our slow ADSL connections surrounded by a sea of happy punters connecting via FTTC.

Thanks mate. To be fair i'm quite happy with my 2mb connection as i'm not a particulalry data heavy user. Though being able to stream live TV would be pretty cool though.

I suppose we can only hope that because we're in quite a densely populated area the figures will add up for BT or some other mob.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Aug-12 09:09:50
Print Post

Just chekced the file, there are so many SE16 XXX are {CLBER}{M_A}. Including mine postcode. It is unlikely the area will get any benefit even if BT enable Fibre Optic in Bermondsey exchange. Without FTTP or 4G, Rotherhithe will defienetly not gonna meet government min 2MB/S target. I wonder what the local council is gonna react to this blowout since Southwark has one of highest council tax in the UK.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 26-Aug-12 14:08:06
Print Post

You're just off salter road right ?
The way it was that there is a suitable cabinet near you and you would get enabled in the current plan.
Not sure when, but you should be able to get an FTTC service.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Aug-12 10:14:11
Print Post

I am actually on Rotherhithe street, it is gonna benefit from FTTC?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Aug-12 13:47:19
Print Post

If you are the same Anonymous poster who is on an Exchange Only (EO) line then, no, you will not benefit from FTTC as this requires you to be connected to the exchange via a local cabinet rather than directly to the exchange.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Aug-12 15:59:18
Print Post

If you are the same Anonymous poster who is on an Exchange Only (EO) line then, no, you will not benefit from FTTC as this requires you to be connected to the exchange via a local cabinet rather than directly to the exchange.

I see, was just to check if there is any slim hope. Hope UK moblie companies will have a good unlimeted LTE package later.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Sep-12 16:51:15
Print Post

I did a quick bit of analysis on the December 2011 spreadsheet. It seems that for the Bermondsey exchange it lists 2436 postcodes, and of those 1549 are marked as Exchange Only lines. So chances are we won't see any sort of fibre for quite some time.

Someone once mentioned to me that you used to be able to get BT to install "low loss lines" which would help in line quality and broadband speed since they won't be cheap aluminium cables. Is this still the case?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Sep-12 20:22:49
Print Post

I dumped the postcodes of EO postcodes on the CLBER (Bermondsey) into batchgeo and created this map.

http://batchgeo.com/map/61a9d9245320bec6ac05fc600110...

sigh! frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Sep-12 21:40:42
Print Post

In addition to my map above of FTTC not spot postcodes in SE16. Here is an FTTC availability checker.

http://fttc-check.alc.im/

--Kiran
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Sep-12 09:18:51
Print Post

Here is a map of the CLBER postcodes that do have cabinets.

http://batchgeo.com/map/d2e1165531500a39c2fa647e214d...

--Kiran
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Sep-12 09:32:58
Print Post

If you get both maps up at the same scale and toggle between them, broadly postcodes below Southwark Park / Lower Road are connected via cabinets and above are not. These are also the ones near the exchange and have better speeds now. So maybe FTTC will be deployed below park (along lower road) and then FTTP above. Or maybe they just won't bother in 'the loop'.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 16-Sep-12 10:56:27
Print Post

Mine says

CLBER,BERMONDSEY,SE167DE,{CLBER}{P38},0,100%,,,,

Does this mean no fibre, Looks that way to me apart from the p38 bit?

Makes sense really for BT, how many people in a southwark estate are going to pay extra for fibre. I would, and maybe a few others.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Sep-12 17:33:45
Print Post

Mine says

CLBER,BERMONDSEY,SE167DE,{CLBER}{P38},0,100%,,,,

Does this mean no fibre, Looks that way to me apart from the p38 bit?

Makes sense really for BT, how many people in a southwark estate are going to pay extra for fibre. I would, and maybe a few others.
It means that 100% of the lines at postcode SE16 7DE are connected to cab 38 on the Bermondsey exchange. It also unfortunately means that when the leaked December 2011 spreadsheet was created BT had no plans to enable cab 38.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 17-Sep-12 10:57:18
Print Post

That batchgeo site is quite interesting, good work there!

I was doing some more looking and discovered that a company called UK Broadband and Huawei have been doing a rollout of an LTE network (known as 4G mobile) in Southwark.
http://www.betterbankside.co.uk/news/2911-next-gener...

I dropped an email to the contact on there who replied saying
"The service is due to launch on October 1st as Now Broadband"

I looked them up, http://www.mynow.co.uk/product-plans.php and it seems the max speed is a paltry 1mbps. Though it does mean you can ditch the phone line, considering its an LTE network I was hoping for better speeds than that

mdb
Anon from 5th Sept
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Sep-12 14:32:48
Print Post

I dropped an email to the contact on there who replied saying
"The service is due to launch on October 1st as Now Broadband"

I looked them up, http://www.mynow.co.uk/product-plans.php and it seems the max speed is a paltry 1mbps. Though it does mean you can ditch the phone line, considering its an LTE network I was hoping for better speeds than that
Since it is a local trial I don't find it particularly surprising that Now Broadband make no reference to it as an available service on their web site. I strongly suspect the attainable speeds will be significantly in excess of 1Mbps, or at least I hope so.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 17-Sep-12 16:06:04
Print Post

Guys, I have applied the 4G trial but the person replied to me that my postcode is not covered (SE16 5XX).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 05-Oct-12 18:54:01
Print Post

I have seen workman today running green cable under the street along my block and up the side of my block to the roof, its also being run down the whole street, anyone know what this could be. I thought fibre optic cable but they would it go to the roof as well, maybe its 4G?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 09-Oct-12 15:05:26
Print Post

Which street you are talking about? Rotherhithe Street or Salter Road, or something else? Thanks
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 09-Oct-12 17:41:03
Print Post

Yep, It is fibre. A fibre company were here today, It must be for 4G? Thats the only think on the roof (mobile aerials) where the cables are going, unless the telephone lines are up there as well. But I doubt someone would invest for FTTP. This is on Canon Beck Road, just off of Brunel Road after the adam and eve. The cable is being run further down Albion st towards the old library. God knows what its for?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 10:41:31
Print Post

Hi, I was living in the blissful ignorance of "BT Infinity to be enabled at Bermondsey Exchange by December 2012" until I had a look at the BT website today and then found this thread.

I have now died a little inside.

So basically, if I live in SE16 5ES, I have no chance of getting decent internet speeds anytime in the next 1-2 years?

So aside from moving, what are my options? I'm hoping someone can lay this out for me.

Thanks!

Greg
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 11:37:28
Print Post

Hi Greg, I am in your building too. I don't think we can be saved even if BT enabled fibre at Bermondsey exchange as it's not planed to be FTTP. The only hope would be some independent company like Hyperoptic or 4G. I think we ask Steven (from our building) to sign up for Hyperoptic.

Cheers,
Kan
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 11:40:10
Print Post

Hi Kan,

I've spoken to him about this issue and it seems the decision was made some time ago to go with Sky instead of Virgin. Bad choice IMO. Globe Wharf down the street has Virgin fiber frown

I will be sure to ask him about the hyperoptic next time I see him.

Greg
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 14:26:40
Print Post

What?!! Global Wharf has Virgin Cable! I wonder what internet serice next door Hilton has? Surely they must have some sort of speccial cable.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 11-Oct-12 17:55:07
Print Post

Stephen's answer (when asked) was that it was a choice made back when they installed the hardware. Globe went with Virgin and CW went with sky...unfortunately no one at the time anticipated that Virgin would surpass sky.

Apparently it would be too expensive now to get virgin. The Hilton will be on a business service and so will have a much faster speed anyways.

Anyways...I'm still fuming that BT have pushed the upgrade in the area...again!
Standard User alesarco
(regular) Fri 12-Oct-12 08:05:23
Print Post

Are you sure Globe Wharf has Virgin Cable? How come then they cannot install it anywhere else nearby?

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 12-Oct-12 09:42:47
Print Post

Don't see any obivous and near term soloutions, unless BT upgrade us to FTTP or we sign up for Hyperoptic. Southwark council should really review situation at Rotherhithe and tap into London highspeed broadband funding. It is as pathetic as the railways in the UK, lack of investment and super low speed.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Fri 12-Oct-12 09:53:41
Print Post

Hi Greg

Hyperoptic is already making hyper-fast internet a reality nearby so let's see if we can help you too?

Please could you email me sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com and I'll set the wheels in motion smile

Fingers crossed!

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:55:21
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic:
Hi Greg

Hyperoptic is already making hyper-fast internet a reality nearby so let's see if we can help you too?

Please could you email me sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com and I'll set the wheels in motion smile

Fingers crossed!

Sunita

Thanks to everyone who has been getting in touch - looks like we're going to be very busy getting the area up to speed (see what I did there?) smile

If you are frustrated with your internet speeds, please do get in touch. Email your address and postcode to me; sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com.

Thanks

Sunita

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 18-Oct-12 10:56:35
Print Post

The problem is it is hard to get everyone from the same building signing up at the same time. Most people are tired to a 1 year contracts and it ends in difference times. People just renting may not want to sign if they only live temporally.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 18-Oct-12 22:54:11
Print Post

Hi, I just moved into the area, SE16 5FT, and am wondering whether anyone in the same area can recommend which internet provider to sign up with?
Thanks!
Ryo
(isp) Fri 02-Nov-12 16:38:28
Print Post

The problem is it is hard to get everyone from the same building signing up at the same time. Most people are tired to a 1 year contracts and it ends in difference times. People just renting may not want to sign if they only live temporally.

Never a problem - it's a challenge that has a solution! If residents are not ready for service, they can have their property fitted with a faceplate so it's hyper-ready. You're under no obligation to take service (landlords like this option). Although a large percentage of residents subscribe initially (you can Hyperoptic alongside existing services), there are many who wait until the end of their existing contract before they subscribe - either way, we recognise it.

If you have a few months left at the property, you pay just £10 for each remaining month (regardless of which package you've subscribed to) of the contract.

Hope this helps

Sunita

(isp) Fri 02-Nov-12 17:34:29
Print Post

Hi, I just moved into the area, SE16 5FT, and am wondering whether anyone in the same area can recommend which internet provider to sign up with?
Thanks!
Ryo

Hey Ryo!

Welcome to the area - remember to register your interest for hyper-fast services on our website, we're rolling out in your area smile

www.hyperoptic.com

Have a good weekend

Sunita

Standard User SebbyD
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 12:13:42
Print Post

Hi all,

Just had Hyperoptic installed and it's revolutionised our internet. I've been in contact for years with the more established providers and heard the same 'it's too expensive to cable your area' nonsense time and time again.

Hyperoptic have installed fibre to my home (which neither BT nor Virgin would do even if they did decide to smell the coffee in SE16) and the costs are comparable to my previous ISP - only 50x faster.

One word of caution - you're only going to get the fullest speeds if you have the right equipment (up to date hardware etc) and connect by ethernet.

I am regularly getting speeds of 80MB/s + over wifi. Register your interest with these guys, because they mean business!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 10-Nov-12 12:39:49
Print Post

[re: SebbyD] [link to this post]

80 Mega Bytes/sec over wifi?

Standard User SebbyD
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 23:20:23
Print Post

Depending on where I am in the flat, yes. 45MB/s at the moment - but upload rate is over 100.
Standard User Jinnix
(newbie) Wed 14-Nov-12 17:03:47
Print Post

Re:

I live at SE16 5HD area, the speed I am getting is around 1~1.5mbps, which the effective download speed is like around 100kb/s, which is a joke. I hope it can be sorted out soon. Complaint to BT, virgin, even southwark council, no one seems to give a F
Standard User Jinnix
(newbie) Wed 14-Nov-12 17:04:43
Print Post

I have emailed to you, people at Trinity Wharf shows strong interets, please gives us more info
(isp) Thu 22-Nov-12 06:59:12
Print Post

[re: Jinnix] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jinnix:
I have emailed to you, people at Trinity Wharf shows strong interets, please gives us more info

Hey Jinnix!

If you have yet to register interest, please do so as updates will be communicated to residents via email - we're working to make it happen for you.

Best wishes

Sunita

Standard User Milo007
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-13 16:30:42
Print Post

Hi SebbyD,

Which residential block are you in on the Rotherhithe Street? I am in Princes Riverside and don't think we have fibre optic connected at the moment.

I am using a 1 year old Macbook, is this the right type of equipment for me to enjoy the full benefit of the superfast broadband?

Thank you.
Standard User JCK
(newbie) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:05:34
Print Post

[re: Milo007] [link to this post]

Hello All
I just found this forum and can see there must be an issue!
I am moving to the area next week, to the Somerville Point apartments on Rotherhithe St, Postcode SE16 5EQ.
With fairly basic knowledge of broadband speeds can someone tell me what should I do to get a decent internet connection or it is just out of the question at the moment?
I haven't igned up to any provider yet.
Many thanks
JCK
Standard User KirkB
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 15:59:24
Print Post

A private fibre install, such as with Hyperoptic, is a wonderful idea, but they quoted our property management company £20,000+ to do the basic install. Which leaseholders' representatives would be able to justify such eye-watering incursions in to their yearly budgets?

Unless companies like Hyperoptic can find innovative ways to address this sting in the tail, it will remain an unrealistic option for most blocks.

I shudder to think when an Infinity service will be viable for the blocks on the river side of Rotherhithe Street.
(isp) Wed 09-Jan-13 17:38:06
Print Post

[re: KirkB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KirkB:
A private fibre install, such as with Hyperoptic, is a wonderful idea, but they quoted our property management company £20,000+ to do the basic install. Which leaseholders' representatives would be able to justify such eye-watering incursions in to their yearly budgets?

Unless companies like Hyperoptic can find innovative ways to address this sting in the tail, it will remain an unrealistic option for most blocks.

I shudder to think when an Infinity service will be viable for the blocks on the river side of Rotherhithe Street.

Greetings KirkB!

Thank you for your post - the great news is that many buildings have already opted to have Hyperoptic installed. With well over 10,000 homes benefiting from our fibre optic infrastructure, you can be assured that the service offered by Hyperoptic is an affordable investment.

As we install a completely new fibre infrastructure into developments, we need to ensure the buildings are of the right size to make sure the costs are kept to a minimum - hence why we focus on multi-unit sites (200+). I'd like to know more about your building so please get in touch and let me see how I can help you make hyper-fast internet a reality for you? You can email sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com

Where there's demand, there's a way of making hyper-fast dreams come true.

Best wishes

Sunita

Standard User alesarco
(regular) Fri 11-Jan-13 00:21:24
Print Post

[re: JCK] [link to this post]

Hi JCK, welcome to internet hell!
There's not much you can do regarding internet in this area. I believe I'm one of the few privileged that can achieve 2Mb, and this only after I disconnected all my phones (so in practice I don't have a landline anymore; I'm paying BT £3 something to forward my calls to my mobile).

My ISP is Zen, and even though the connection is rock solid, it's still very slow, and very expensive for what I get, but I'm afraid of changing it in case I get something worse.

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Standard User thinkpeter
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 08:54:43
Print Post

I'm also moving to the area (from Devon Mansions on Tooley Street), any ideas when I can expect fibre and who with?

The post code is SE16 4TT - Angel Wharf, Bermondsey Wall East

I've got this from that leaked PCP to Postcode report, but can't make much sense from it as a text doc.

CLBER,BERMONDSEY,SE164TT,{CLBER}{p1},0,20.45,4.59,7b,Yes,FTTP

Very sad to be leaving my 20Mb Virgin Fibre Connection here frown

Thanks,

Pete
Standard User SebbyD
(newbie) Fri 11-Jan-13 13:02:17
Print Post

[re: Milo007] [link to this post]

Hi Milo

Am in the Water Gardens - they installed at the end of last year.

Absolutely - 1 year old Macbook will most definitely work (mine is a good few years old).
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Fri 11-Jan-13 18:25:33
Print Post

[re: thinkpeter] [link to this post]

Basically the December 2011 spreadsheet says that your postcode is on cabinet P1 on the BERMONDSEY exchange and it was planned to have FTTP in phase 7a, we are now into phase 10 roughly across the country.
I put your postcode into the postcode checker and it has come back with this- basically FTTP has been dropped and FTTC will be installed.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2013. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 62.7 Mbps and upstream line speed of 20 Mbps.

Since the date is not till the end of 2013, it could be sooner or later, Asdl+2 is your best option as VM is not avalaible, you will get about 7-8Mbps download which is pretty good though this will need to be confirmed with a BT phone number.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Francescoboz
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 20:44:54
Print Post

Hi Sebby

I will move to water gardens( channel house) in a few days , and I have been told by Virgin media that there is no optic fibre in my flat and there are no plans currently to install it.

Are you saying that they installed fibre optic in all water gardens last year, or I have misunderstood something?

Your answer would be really helpful as I am currently trying to decide which Internet provider to choose : )

Thanks

Francesco
Standard User Francescoboz
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 20:56:22
Print Post

[re: Francescoboz] [link to this post]

Apologies, I just read about hyperoptic in previous posts... Sounds good, hopefully it covers my address too!
(isp) Wed 23-Jan-13 17:18:31
Print Post

Hello Francesco

I believe there are a few developments called Water Gardens so the best thing to do is to input your postcode into our availability checker via the Hyperoptic website smile

Sunita

Standard User finland
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-13 21:57:02
Print Post

Been following this thread for a while, and thought I'd chip in.

Firstly, in rollout schedules I can find today, it looks like Bermondsey is now due for fibre in Jun 13. Is that a change, or am I viewing old schedules?

Secondly, my flat (on Finland st.) used to get 2mb but when I followed guides for improving broadband speed by checking filters and snipping the bell wire, it increased to 4.7mb. It's not much, but for me it was the difference between streaming sd and hd. Curious how many other people have tried checking the quality of their lines past the master socket (which bt won't fix) ?
Standard User Hodgy007
(newbie) Sat 26-Jan-13 23:44:59
Print Post

Don't count on hyperoptic, I live in Sovereign Crescent and was told by the sales agent that they had a site survey booked. After weeks gone by I tried to contact them and got absolutely no response from them at all including Sunita on this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if they are about to fold as they don't seem to be a reputable firm. Roll on FTCC in June as I can't take much more of this broadband poverty.
(isp) Mon 28-Jan-13 13:12:44
Print Post

[re: Hodgy007] [link to this post]

Hi Hodgy007

I am sorry that you have not had a response to date however I am pleased to inform you that a survey was carried via your property manager towards the end of last year and we are still in discussions with your property manager regarding the potential delivery of service to your development. Fingers crossed we'll make further progress soon.

For further updates, please do email me directly to ensure you receive a response sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com

Best wishes

Sunita

Standard User MikeLondon
(newbie) Sat 16-Feb-13 19:38:58
Print Post

Just about to move back into the area, SE16 7TD and looks like I'm going to be suffering from these issues. No idea of phone number yet or even if one is connected but not expecting much from the checker. 2-4 meg seems likely. Think I'll be going with Be on a 3 month contract for now and then see what happens with Fibre down the road/line (no pun intended). I used to have fun manually adjusting settings on a Speedtouch to obtain the most out of the line on bulldog llu, looks like I can expect more fun just to obtain anything usable. Anyone have any experience with line speeds on that postcode? Also hoping 4g might offer an alternative soon.

CLBER BERMONDSEY SE167TD {CLBER}{M_A} 1 98%

Thanks.

Mike
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Feb-13 23:13:47
Print Post

[re: MikeLondon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MikeLondon:
CLBER BERMONDSEY SE167TD {CLBER}{M_A} 1 98%
No FTTC even when BT eventually enable the Bermondsey exchange as most lines at that post code are Exchange Only. I'm in much the same position over on Vauxhall exchange. I hope that BT will evetually get around to helping those on EO lines, especially those of some length, as otherwise we're going to miss out on fast broadband. To date we've been told that BT will/may do "something" for EO lines once they've finished their main commercial roll-out but what that might be and at what cost we have yet to be told.
Standard User Keziarose
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 18:25:34
Print Post

[re: MikeLondon] [link to this post]

Hello everyone!

I'm currently living in SE16 4-- and have pretty speedy internet although it randomly drops out for no reason at the weekend (grrr Virgin)
Anyway, we're moving to SE16 6-- and I'm looking into choosing Plusnet.
Anyone used them around the area?
Can't believe just down the road speeds are tripled, ridiculous!
Standard User Samiola
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-13 14:07:14
Print Post

[re: Keziarose] [link to this post]

Hi all,

I've recently moved to the area too, SE16 6-- (EO line) and found this forum thread like many others before me. I've have gleaned plenty of information from this thread so thought I would try to contribute with a bit of info I got an from Openreach engineer recently (unfortunately not good news). Thanks also to everyone who has contributed so far.

I had to have an engineer visit to fit a new master socket because the previous owners had cut all the internal phone wiring during refurbishment then plastered over it (geniuses). He told me that there are currently only initial plans to tackle the EO issue in this area as it is a very large project and that the last he heard the ETA to delivery was an estimated ~5 years from now (!!). He noted that there are several issues (blockages, old wiring etc.) underground between Rotherhithe and the Bermondsey exchange (no further elaboration or detail as to what exactly or where). As has been previously mentioned, he confirmed BT plan on finishing their planned FTTC rollout before getting down to the work on upgrading the EO lines around here. I suppose from a business resource point of view, the teams in charge of planning the work would be the same so as those doing the FTTC roll outs. So until a slice of that planning resource is freed up by the completion of FTTC rollouts, the resources won't be made available (and it sounds like a significant amount of planning is required). Unless of course some outside funding pays for expanding the planning capacity (i.e. schemes already mentioned earlier in thread).

So it's sad news but it looks like we EO people are all stuck with slow speeds (I get around 3.5Mbps) for the foreseeable unless Virgin, Hyperoptic or someone else comes to your residence. frown
(isp) Mon 22-Apr-13 13:10:07
Print Post

[re: Samiola] [link to this post]

Hi Samiola

We're rolling out service into buildings in the area so if you'd like some real fibre power, please register your interest via the Hyperoptic website; www.hyperoptic.com

With thanks and regards

Sunita

Standard User teeky
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 23:55:08
Print Post

Nothing against Hyperoptic but they're not going to serve the large number of us who don't have the luxury of living in a huge block of apartments. I've lived in this area for almost 4 years now in three different locations and I've only seen my downloads go down between moves, I'm at 1.8mbps at my current place which only just gets me iPlayer streaming in SD. I love the area but this situation is pretty incredible.
Standard User devr0s
(newbie) Wed 01-May-13 09:40:45
Print Post

While i can't give info for SE16, i live in SE8 (connect to CLBER exchange) and decided to go with plusnet a couple of weeks ago. I have to say first off that so far their support has been first rate. As i cant get fibre i went for the unlimited BB package and was guestimated at a 5.5mb speed, which was the same as every other broadband provider. Interestingly sky gave me an estimated speed between 7-11mb, decided not to go with sky with the inflated prices. I went with plusnet due to the priority management and seemingly good CS. The actual speed i'm getting however is a sync at 8128kb and a speed of around 700kb/sec up to a peak of 1mb/sec. I'm still in the 10 day grace period so this may slow down after the first 2 weeks but so far i'm impressed with speeds given that i was expecting a 5mb line.
Also the quality of the line is superb. I dont live that close to CLBER (about 2 ish miles) and am getting a very solid 30ms ping to bbc.co.uk with interleaving on. Yesterday my connection reported interleaving off so i tested the ping again and it went down to 15ms, basically as good as i was getting with VM without the Packet Loss.
So far so good in my view with plusnet. Their forum response times seem to be very quick too.
Standard User franfif
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 17:08:12
Print Post

[re: devr0s] [link to this post]

Any news on BT Infinity or Hyperoptic in the Rope Street/Baltic Quay/Rainbow Quay area of SE16? Fed up with the 2Mbps broadband speeds I am getting.
Standard User BoredOctopus
(newbie) Wed 28-Aug-13 13:21:08
Print Post

[re: franfif] [link to this post]

Apparently Simon Hughes wrote to BoJo about this:

http://simonhughes.org.uk/en/article/2012/644310/sim...

No sign of a reply yet so perhaps it's worth raising the issue with Mr Hughes again.
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 09:41:03
Print Post

[re: BoredOctopus] [link to this post]

Mailing BT Openreach about this I got the following response:

Dear Sir,

E/O lines are not being upgraded as part of the Openreach commercial rollout of fibre broadband. If this type of line is to be upgraded it would be via funding from your borough council.
To enquire, it is worth contacting your London Assembly Member or local council to register your interest in case any government funding becomes available to help fund deployment.
You may also wish to lobby your Assembly Member or local councillor on progress gaining funding for such deployment from the Government. You can also register your interest on the Openreach website at; http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/expression-...
There are no plans to upgrade E/O lines before any funding is put in place.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

A list of the members of the London Assembly can be found here: http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor-assembly/london-assem...

I've mailed a few of them with something like this:

Dear ASSEMBLY MEMBER NAME,

As you may be aware, broadband speeds in Rotherhithe are very poor. BT Openreach is currently performing a rollout of fibre optic broadband across the country, unfortunately this is not going to be available to any premises connected to the exchange directly rather than through a cabinet on the street.

Talking to BT Openreach it appears that BT have no plans to address this problem. The alternative of installing fibre to the premises directly (only possible if the exchange is upgraded) is likely to be prohibitively expensive, if it ever even becomes possible.

I wondered if the London Assembly had discussed funding with the BDUK to resolve this situation?

Yours Sincerely,

MY NAME

MY ADDRESS
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:57:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Keziarose:
Hello everyone!

I'm currently living in SE16 4-- and have pretty speedy internet although it randomly drops out for no reason at the weekend (grrr Virgin)
Anyway, we're moving to SE16 6-- and I'm looking into choosing Plusnet.
Anyone used them around the area?
Can't believe just down the road speeds are tripled, ridiculous!

It is - even outside of London we get this.

I can get 8mbps - across the road they can get 60 via FTTC - my cab is not included in the rollout.

I did have access to 120mbps from Virgin - but as I talk about quality broadband I will leave them out.
Standard User Keziarose
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-13 13:11:24
Print Post

[re: devr0s] [link to this post]

Tar for the info. We went with Plusnet in the end and are very happy with them! After reading this forum we weren't expecting anything amazing and currently get around 3.7mb which is adequate enough and let's us all watch videos no problem.

I mainly have to praise them because our new build house was built without a landline (lazy, greedy landlord I expect) and we negotiated between them and BT for 4 months before getting connected. Plusnet were always helpful, understanding and on the case. Cannot say the same for BT Openreach who sent out the wrong engineers 6 (!) times and ended up having to resort to the troubleshoot engineer who said the others had been lazy and completed the job in 3 hours. After 12 engineer visits and installations, we didn't have to pay a penny extra as it all came under the £70 installation fee. They fought our case to BT well and the unlimited package is great value.
Standard User Keziarose
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-13 13:12:49
Print Post

[re: teeky] [link to this post]

Exactly! It's all very well living in swanky apartments but I'm living behind them with 2 other students. We have a bit of money too, connect all of us!
Standard User toforseven
(newbie) Wed 25-Sep-13 20:01:17
Print Post

Hi,

Yes, ADSL in the Rotherhithe area is a disgrace. The maximum speed I can get is 2.0 Mbps, usually is less. I don't understand why Virgin hasn't already invested in cabling this area, with the right promotion they'd probably get almost 100% of the broadband users in the area.

Entering my number in the BT checker returns the same as you, so it's not clear if they ever will offer FTTC into our homes.
Standard User alesarco
(regular) Thu 10-Oct-13 23:47:05
Print Post

[re: toforseven] [link to this post]

blog.valshawcross.com/the-great-rotherhithe-broadband-robbery

Not encouraging, really.

ZeNADSL 8000 Pro
Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Wed 16-Oct-13 18:40:58
Print Post

[Post deleted at posters request as it contained personal information]

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 22-Apr-16 21:19:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Oct-13 19:26:35
Print Post

[re: Ronnie1990] [link to this post]

If you are checking via postcode, then that can be wrong as you get a mixture of EO and cabinet lines in the same postcode.

Copy and paste the EXACT wording from https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html just hiding your telephone number. This will show if connected to a cabinet or not.

If your number is a non BT (or non WLR) one, then use the full ADDRESS checker, not the postcode one.

Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:35:14
Print Post

Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:38:41
Print Post

The BT site now says that work is taken place on my exchange and no orders can be processed. I have tried a number across the road to me and its not available on that line.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 01:06:39
Print Post

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Oct-13 11:23:35
Print Post

That may not stop an FTTC order via a non-BT Wholesale provider of course

Standard User Ronnie1990
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 17:31:43
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

(newbie) Tue 29-Oct-13 10:49:23
Print Post

Questions to the Mayor from both Val Shawcross and Darren Johnson:

http://questions.london.gov.uk/QuestionSearch/search...

and

http://questions.london.gov.uk/QuestionSearch/search...

The Mayor

The Super Connected Cities Plan (SCCP) is now largely focussed on a demand led voucher scheme to encourage the take up of ultrafast broadband amongst high growth SMEs across all London boroughs including SME's in Rotherhithe area. It will be ensured that SSCP scheme is promoted in Rotherhithe area so that all eligible SME's can participate.

While I understand the frustration that some Rotherhithe constituents experience over the speed of their internet access, currently we are unable to intervene directly in matters relating to residential broadband connectivity.

The GLA will next year be looking to publish a document looking at Long Term Infrastructure in London, which will include a section on broadband and I know my team drafting that section will be looking at the situation in Rotherhithe closely.

Doesn't look like Boris is going anywhere with it.
(isp) Wed 11-Dec-13 18:01:06
Print Post

[re: Jinnix] [link to this post]

Great news! Hyperoptic is coming to Trinity Wharf!

Residents - please register your interest via our website (if you haven't already) so we can get in touch to keep you updated smile

Best wishes

Sunita
Head of Marketing
Hyperoptic

Standard User marmite0
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 13:49:33
Print Post

It's been "coming" to Trinity Wharf for months now..
Your post was tail end of 2013, It is now Q2 of 2014 - what is stalling work beginning ?
(isp) Thu 06-Mar-14 14:12:45
Print Post

[re: marmite0] [link to this post]

Hello

I will need to look into this in a bit more detail - can you please drop me an email to sunita.sharma(at)hyperoptic.com?

Thank you

Sunita
Head of Marketing

Standard User zoenolan
(newbie) Tue 03-Jun-14 10:12:24
Print Post

[re: BoredOctopus] [link to this post]

Rotherhithe Broadband Campaign announced their blueprint last night. Seems the plan is to set up a community ISP providing FTTH.

http://energise16.co.uk/broadband-blueprint

They are still light on details but nice to see something happening
Standard User ChrisA2107
(newbie) Thu 05-Jun-14 14:20:30
Print Post

[re: zoenolan] [link to this post]

I have seen several news articles about a service called Relish which launched yesterday, supposedly covering Southwark: https://www1.relish.net/athome

It all sounds very good, until I typed in my post code and apparently they don’t cover my bit of Rotherhithe, but for some of you this may work and for others, if you go to their site and vote for this area to be covered it might help.

Either way, this might be a potential alternative to BT or Virgin in the future.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:39:07
Print Post

[re: ChrisA2107] [link to this post]

They must have oddles of cash to offer unlimited 4G for that price.. After all EE can't do it and they own the infrastructure...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:43:07
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

NOTE: This is fixed wireless 4G, so slightly different to mobile 4G, and in London fibre availability and price for backhaul or microwave links across roof tops should be cheap.

Notice how the mobile add-ons all come with usage limits.

Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jun-14 06:51:34
Print Post

[re: zoenolan] [link to this post]

Someone told me that BT were doing a test exercise at Rainbow Quay and Lock Keepers Heights to reassess the costs of bringing fibre broadband to Rotherhithe. Note these are apartment blocks and I think what BT are really doing is seeing how much it'll cost to snuff out the competition - in this case Hyperoptic. It's still of no help for those who live in houses.

Luckily for me, our freeholder has just given permission for Hyperoptic to do an installation in our block so hopefully won't have to wait too long for decent speeds.
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Sat 21-Jun-14 19:31:41
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

most of rotherhither bermondsey is EO so a aparment bblock on EO is thet same a group of houses EO when you look at FTTC
Standard User Aliturk
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Jun-14 15:14:55
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Yes I know, but BT seem only to be interested in experimenting in a solution for apartment blocks in this area.
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Wed 25-Jun-14 23:42:08
Print Post

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

its the same solution
Standard User fickle
(regular) Thu 03-Jul-14 14:28:31
Print Post

Noticed this company is offering domestic 4G - unfortunately not in SE16 yet -

https://www1.relish.net/athome
Standard User ChrisA2107
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 09:18:07
Print Post

[re: fickle] [link to this post]

I notice in the news today: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31451174, Virgin are looking to expand their existing network in areas they are already in, so perhaps there is some hope for Rotherhithe here. Interest can be registered here: http://www.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Feb-15 10:21:13
Print Post

[re: ChrisA2107] [link to this post]

If you are in apartments then less so, the problems of dealing with wayleaves and landlords still apply. The financials make it clear they are chasing the ROI closely. So yes residential streets but probably not the current wave of apartments across London unless the landlord is fully onboard.

Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sat 27-Jun-15 13:05:45
Print Post

There are navvies using drain rods to lay rope into BT conduits down Needleman Street (SE16) on behalf of BT.
They say that its in preparation for pulling fibre.

Anyone know about this program of works ?

Edited by gavsdavs (Sat 27-Jun-15 13:13:34)

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 12:51:37
Print Post

Can't comment on Needleman street, but there was a newsletter coming out of SE16.com saying the following

BT’s Openreach division, is conducting a trial of new Fibre-to-the-Remote-Node (FTTrN) broadband technology in Rotherhithe – bringing download speeds of up to 80Mbps to an area that was previously unreachable with standard superfast broadband connections.

16 premises in Gwent Court on Rotherhithe Street now have the opportunity to choose from a range of broadband service providers taking part in the trial, and will see their download speeds increase to close to 80Mbps – around 20 times faster than existing services in the area.

Rotherhithe has proved a challenging location for private companies to upgrade with fibre broadband because of its industrial history, large docks and the prevalence of long ‘exchange-only lines’ – where broadband connections run the full distance from a local telephone exchange to a home – rather than via roadside cabinets.

Traditionally, Openreach has needed to install a new cabinet to bring fibre broadband technology to streets across the UK, but FTTrN works by taking fibre optic cable much closer to residential properties, using a small box called a ‘Remote Node’ that effectively acts like a miniature cabinet.

The remote node can be positioned on telegraph poles, inside manholes or in a variety of other locations, meaning it can potentially be deployed where space is at a premium like parts of central London – or where the traditional approach is too complex or expensive to achieve, like Rotherhithe and Bermondsey.

“This trial demonstrates our commitment to keep pushing the boundaries and investing in our open network,” said Bill Murphy, managing director of next generation access at BT Group.

“Areas like Rotherhithe present us with a unique technological and physical challenge, but this trial is a precursor to further announcements we’ll be making in the coming months as we seek to meet that challenge.

“We’re pleased to be working closely with Southwark Council on this project and we look forward to seeing how the trial progresses.”

Cllr Peter John, leader of Southwark Council, said: “Slow broadband speeds are a frustrating issue facing residents in Rotherhithe. The council has been working closely with BT to find ways to bring superfast broadband to Rotherhithe and it is welcome news that BT is trialling new technologies which might deliver superfast broadband to places that are harder to serve.”

Val Shawcross, London Assembly member for Lambeth and Southwark, added: “We’ve been working closely with BT over several months to discuss these trials, and this is a positive step in enabling Rotherhithe residents to get access to superfast broadband.

“Openreach brings the advantage of choice and competition amongst a wide range of Internet Service Providers, and we are encouraging local people to formally express an interest in getting superfast broadband via the Openreach website.

“We know there is huge interest in speeding up Rotherhithe’s broadband, but it’s important that we demonstrate that if we want to encourage more trials and infrastructure investment in future.”

I came here for some info on this FTTrN stuff but could not find anything so i'm going to post later to see if anyone knows anything about it

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 13:17:01
Print Post

Gwent Court

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Looks like the node is live for properties in SE16 5SW
Adding to our checkers now, so will be added to the figures in the next few days.

Only live for premises in the postcode, indicated its just a node, and beyond the ones seen in North Yorkshire, suspect that there are a good few more in Northern Ireland serving very small rural clusters and similar in Cornwall.

In terms of technology its either a small cabinet or a rugged box that can be placed in a basement room or a pavement chamber outside. Limiting factor is usually power or if located in the building wayleave issues.

For the end user the process for ordering is identical to the use fibre products

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 13:27:07
Print Post

Re: Gwent Court

I'm just wondering how this will effect people like myself who are on EO lines?

I have email our new MP and hopefully he can shed some light on it, I have read one page saying EO are covered and onother saying it's not, so time will tell otherwise i'm stuck on a poxy 4mbit

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 13:37:24
Print Post

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html what does this say for you flat number and postcode.

e.g.
Address FLAT 24, GWENT COURT, ROTHERHITHE STREET, ROTHERHITHE, LONDON, SE16 5SW on Exchange BERMONDSEY is served by Cabinet 60
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 80 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 57.8 20 5 -- Available

Flats in SE16 5SW are no longer on EO lines, they have a cabinet number 60 which is the FTTrN box

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 14:04:36
Print Post

OK going on phone number first given it said it was best to go this way i get the following

Telephone Number 0207394**** on Exchange BERMONDSEY

Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 03-Jun-2014; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

and from address details is says the following

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Address my addy, ROTHERHITHE, LONDON, SE16 *** on Exchange BERMONDSEY

Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 03-Jun-2014; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.
Note: The DP is external to the end user premises.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jul-15 14:13:48
Print Post

Are you in Gwent Court? Cabinet 60 only serves the SE16 5SW postcode from what I can see. This is the downside of FTTrN that it will only serve a small footprint

Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 21-Jul-15 14:43:18
Print Post

No not in Gwent Court myself, seems crazy to be testing there when i am further away, in fact i think i'm one of the furthest away from the exchange frown

All1
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Sat 10-Oct-15 01:15:07
Print Post

MAYBE some good news

Got an SE16 newsletter this week and it spoke about BT pulling it's finger out of it's ..... well you know where and came up with this press release

BT announces investment to expand fibre broadband rollout in London Borough of Southwark.

BT today announced plans for an expansion of high-speed fibre broadband in the London Borough of Southwark.

Openreach, BT’s local network business, will make fibre available to an additional 18,000 localhomes and businesses in the next two years, taking the company’s total coverage for fibre in the borough to more than 101,000 premises.

The new investment in Southwark is part of a city-wide programme that will increase fibre coverage in every London borough. The roll out will increase overall fibre availability across London, taking all networks into account, from around 90 per cent[1] to around 95 per cent of premises. The Openreach fibre network is already the largest in London, covering nearly three million homes and businesses.

BT is spending more than £3 billion on Openreach’s deployment of fibre across the UK, and the work in Southwark is part of an additional £50 million that the company earmarked for UK cities last year.

London is already one of the best connected cities in the world, with every business in the capital able to access speeds of 1Gb/s and above through special high capacity ultrafast dedicated lines. An independent study* already rates London second only to Seoul as the best in the world for broadband quality.

Joe Garner, chief executive of Openreach, said: “Openreach engineers have been working flat out to bring fibre to more than 23 million homes and businesses across the country in record time - and the number is continuing to grow rapidly. Our investment has helped make the UK’s broadband infrastructure among the best in Europe.

“Installing fibre in urban areas can be challenging, but thanks to new techniques and extra investment we will now be able to reach hundreds of thousands of additional homes and businesses across London.”

Andrew Campling, General Manager for London in BT Group, added: “I’m delighted

that BT is able to make a further investment in fibre broadband within the London Borough of Southwark. Whilst fibre broadband is already available to the vast majority of premises across London, we’ve been exploring options that will enable us to expand our coverage in Southwark, for example by working closely with the council on a trial of new technology in Rotherhithe.Given feedback that we’ve had to date, I’m confident that the residents and businesses in the additional parts of the borough where fibre broadband will now become available will be very pleased.”

BT’s new investment is focusing on three areas:

Upgrading city cabinets that weren’t part of the original commercial plans due to technical challenges or local planning restrictions
Rolling out ‘fibre to the remote node’ (FTTRN) and to fibre broadband cabinets that serve multi-dwelling units, such as apartment blocks
Continuing to ensure the new fibre network is available on an ‘equivalent’ basis to all internet service providers that use the Openreach network. That means companies competing with BT Consumer and BT Business can deliver faster broadband to their customers, paying Openreach the same as BT’s own divisions.

Openreach’s fibre network is open to all broadband service providers on equal terms, ensuring that businesses and consumers benefit from intense competition, a wide choice of supplier and low prices.

Ends

Well there you have it, personally i still have no idea if this will help me as i'm on an EO line, have spoke to our wonderful new MP, who is as much use as a wet paper bag, didn't take him long to be as lazy as the last git we had but hey ho.

All1
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Sun 11-Oct-15 00:49:01
Print Post

Re: MAYBE some good news

On the other hand

BT have announced 18000 new fibre broadband connections for Southwark. This is part of the £50m BT Cities project that will see 360000 new fibre connections shared across all London Boroughs over the next two years.

The project primarily focuses on upgrading existing cabinets that weren't part of the original upgrades and rolling out fibre broadband services that serve multi-dwelling units, such as apartment blocks.

BT are proposing to use FTTRN (Fibre-to-the –remote-note) technology to connect the following council owned blocks in Rotherhithe: Courthope House, Pine House and Ritchie House, conditional on the buildings being suitable. The installation will be similar to the trial for the 16 flats in Gwent Court, Rotherhithe Street.

BT will be adding a fibre cabinet to the existing telephone cabinet at Needleman Street (on the corner of Surrey Quays Road). This cabinet primarily serves Woodland Crescent. A new rack will be added to the fibre cabinet on Salter Road (by Lagardo Mews). This cabinet serves the Globe Pond Road and Russia Dock Road areas.

Rotherhithe has very few cabinets as the majority of properties are connected directly to the exchange (known as Exchange Only lines) so BT are proposing to install five new roadside telephone and fibre cabinets. They have identified the following locations:

Timberpond Road (opposite Bacon’s and on the corner of Lagardo Mews)
Redriff Road (near the new Quebec Quarter development)
Surrey Quays Road (by the Library)
Plough Way (near Lighter Close)
Onega Gate (near Finland Street)

There is no details of which properties will be served by these new cabinets. BT has informed Southwark that these new installations will be 450 line cabinets. Our contact at BT Openreach has confirmed that these cabinets are currently outlined to be the combined telephone and fibre cabinets designed specifically for exchange only line upgrades. These cabinets can handle around 450 telephone lines and 128 fibre lines. (ie. they can serve up to 450 telephone lines of which 128 can have fibre broadband).

BT planning is still in the survey stage and we probably won't know exactly what BT decides to install until they do it. Currently the plans shared with Southwark Council show the actual amount of new fibre connections will be around 1000.

In July Andrew Campling from BT, after a meeting with Southwark Council, claimed that fibre coverage in Rotherhithe would increase to around 70% of properties over the next two years. It is hard to see how BT will get anyway close to this figure based on the proposed upgrades. We have already raised concerns about the homes in Rotherhithe that still have no planned upgrade. In July this looked to be around 30% of homes, now it appears it will be closer to 65% of homes which will have no access to better broadband (either BT, Virgin or Hyperoptic).

It's worth noting that BT's connection figures are about how many premises that have telephone lines that can access a fibre connection not how many lines that can actually be connected. BT class telephone lines that can potentially have fibre as being fibre-enabled even though only 25% of these lines can be connected to fibre when the capacity of the fibre cabinet is reached. This is usually fine as the average uptake of BT fibre services is around 25% but as broadband is so poor in Rotherhithe and there are few, if any, alternatives the demand is likely to be far higher than what BT is planning to install. This has been an issue with the fibre cabinet on Salter Rd and a couple of cabinets in the Hawkestone Estate area where there are not enough fibre connections to meet demand. These residents are told that their lines are fibre-enabled but unfortunately they cannot access fibre services.

Even with the planned upgrades Southwark will remain at the bottom of the London Boroughs for overall access to superfast broadband. Based on connection figures from BT, Virgin, Hyperoptic, OFCOM and thinkbroadband, the majority of London Boroughs with have superfast connections in excess of 95% by 2017 with over half reaching 98% or above. Southwark will have around 88% access with Bermondsey and Old Southwark languishing at around 77%.

So hugely oversubscribed i suspect, and loads of us will still be maxing out at 3mbits WOW

All1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Oct-15 10:03:45
Print Post

The coverage question mark is all down to how you define the area e.g. the constituency that covers the area is around the 75% mark
http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/?area=E14000553...

In areas where cabinets have filled up then extra have been added, though not seen this in a onesie deployment yet.

There is also the prospect of encouraging more Virgin Media deployment, though they generally avoid flats it seems.

Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 11-Oct-15 18:06:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by alloneword:
On the other hand

BT have announced 18000 new fibre broadband connections for Southwark. This is part of the £50m BT Cities project that will see 360000 new fibre connections shared across all London Boroughs over the next two years.
<cut>
Southwark will have around 88% access with Bermondsey and Old Southwark languishing at around 77%.

So hugely oversubscribed i suspect, and loads of us will still be maxing out at 3mbits WOW

All1

I got the above mailing too - and if I'm honest, any progress is welcome as they've done sod all about Southwark so far. I wouldn't mind FTTC or FTTRN, anything to get above 3Mbits.

There is sadly nothing else we can do except wait, the freeholder her in hithe point is blocking installs of hyperoptic, virgin are unlikely to come down here, so there is no other option.

Progress, if in fits and spurts.

Gavs
Standard User redstonedust
(newbie) Wed 14-Oct-15 06:51:40
Print Post

EO line too - Bywater Place
After initially thinking *finally.... something*, I checked the map for those locations and suspect we're not deemed worthy of anything approaching a basic service.
Still... willing to be proved wrong.
Happy for those in the rotherhithe penninsula who hopefully will benefit - I'm sure even a modest improvement would make a significant difference to them.
red
0.8 Mbps (on a good day)
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Thu 29-Oct-15 18:35:42
Print Post

More digging and pipe laying on needleman street this week outside woodland crescent. BT are certainly using polish contractors for something !
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-15 02:06:17
Print Post

More digging and pipe laying on needleman street this week outside woodland crescent. BT are certainly using polish contractors for something !

This came to me via the "Rotherhithe Broadband Group"

BT are proposing to use FTTRN (Fibre-to-the –remote-note) technology to connect the following council owned blocks in Rotherhithe: Courthope House, Pine House and Ritchie House, conditional on the buildings being suitable. The installation will be similar to the trial for the 16 flats in Gwent Court, Rotherhithe Street.

BT will be adding a fibre cabinet to the existing telephone cabinet at Needleman Street (on the corner of Surrey Quays Road). This cabinet primarily serves Woodland Crescent. A new rack will be added to the fibre cabinet on Salter Road (by Lagardo Mews). This cabinet serves the Globe Pond Road and Russia Dock Road areas.

Rotherhithe has very few cabinets as the majority of properties are connected directly to the exchange (known as Exchange Only lines) so BT are proposing to install five new roadside telephone and fibre cabinets. They have identified the following locations:

Timberpond Road (opposite Bacon’s and on the corner of Lagardo Mews)
Redriff Road (near the new Quebec Quarter development)
Surrey Quays Road (by the Library)
Plough Way (near Lighter Close)
Onega Gate (near Finland Street)

There is no details of which properties will be served by these new cabinets. BT has informed Southwark that these new installations will be 450 line cabinets. Our contact at BT Openreach has confirmed that these cabinets are currently outlined to be the combined telephone and fibre cabinets designed specifically for exchange only line upgrades. These cabinets can handle around 450 telephone lines and 128 fibre lines. (ie. they can serve up to 450 telephone lines of which 128 can have fibre broadband).

BT planning is still in the survey stage and we probably won't know exactly what BT decides to install until they do it. Currently the plans shared with Southwark Council show the actual amount of new fibre connections will be around 1000.

In July Andrew Campling from BT, after a meeting with Southwark Council, claimed that fibre coverage in Rotherhithe would increase to around 70% of properties over the next two years. It is hard to see how BT will get anyway close to this figure based on the proposed upgrades. We have already raised concerns about the homes in Rotherhithe that still have no planned upgrade. In July this looked to be around 30% of homes, now it appears it will be closer to 65% of homes which will have no access to better broadband (either BT, Virgin or Hyperoptic).

It's worth noting that BT's connection figures are about how many premises that have telephone lines that can access a fibre connection not how many lines that can actually be connected. BT class telephone lines that can potentially have fibre as being fibre-enabled even though only 25% of these lines can be connected to fibre when the capacity of the fibre cabinet is reached. This is usually fine as the average uptake of BT fibre services is around 25% but as broadband is so poor in Rotherhithe and there are few, if any, alternatives the demand is likely to be far higher than what BT is planning to install. This has been an issue with the fibre cabinet on Salter Rd and a couple of cabinets in the Hawkestone Estate area where there are not enough fibre connections to meet demand. These residents are told that their lines are fibre-enabled but unfortunately they cannot access fibre services.

Even with the planned upgrades Southwark will remain at the bottom of the London Boroughs for overall access to superfast broadband. Based on connection figures from BT, Virgin, Hyperoptic, OFCOM and thinkbroadband, the majority of London Boroughs with have superfast connections in excess of 95% by 2017 with over half reaching 98% or above. Southwark will have around 88% access with Bermondsey and Old Southwark languishing at around 77%.

It might help you but for me i'm still stuck trying to get HD streaming let alone getting near 4k streaming speeds.

All1
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Tue 03-Nov-15 00:40:40
Print Post

Does anyone have any idea on finding out when these will be going live and if my addy will be covered, in a nutshel how can i get to the front of the queue?

All1
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sat 07-Nov-15 14:49:17
Print Post

This came to me via the "Rotherhithe Broadband Group"

It might help you but for me i'm still stuck trying to get HD streaming let alone getting near 4k streaming speeds.

All1

Yes, I got that too, but I don't think I'm served by any of those possible locations. Difficult to tell since they built such a spiders web of cables round here.

HD streaming is not possible here either, don't feel you are being singled out for poor comms, everybody is in the same boat.
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Mon 16-Nov-15 22:28:59
Print Post

HD streaming is not possible here either, don't feel you are being singled out for poor comms, everybody is in the same boat.
Yea but the damm boat has a huge leak, personally i'm fed up reading about highlands and farmers in rural wales having better speed then someone who lives within a stones throw of canary wharf
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-16 18:38:01
Print Post

Some news for Rotherhithe (20/07/2016)

http://broadbandse16.co.uk/news/newplans
Standard User alloneword
(regular) Fri 22-Jul-16 12:31:08
Print Post

Thanks for that but for poor old me jack [censored] is planned, why o why am i paying for damm line rental?

All1
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-16 20:22:53
Print Post

Thanks for that but for poor old me jack [censored] is planned, why o why am i paying for damm line rental?

All1

"Cup half-full" thinking then smile
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 14-Sep-16 19:29:29
Print Post

Not sure if this affects anyone else, but contractors planted a large green cabinet at the corner of Surrey Quays Road and Needleman Street yesterday. That suggest progress for lines going down Needleman St.

Anyone seen any other cabinets go up ?
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sat 15-Oct-16 10:15:59
Print Post

Managed to talk with one of the commissioning engineers last week - apparently the go-live for the cab on Needlman street is "weeks", not "months". The cabs are cabled up, they are spliced in, but I didn't get see if there was fibre in the fttc cab. (there are two new cabinets side by side, one looks like copper pairs and the other looks like fibre termination)

There's another on Fniland Street according to http://broadbandse16.co.uk/news/newplans
Bits of progress !
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-16 09:46:20
Print Post

I managed to place an order for SE16 FTTC cabinet 61 this morning.

This must be one of the longest running threads on the site, but it looks like BT finally pulled their finger out and got some service into the area !!
Standard User alloneword
(member) Tue 13-Dec-16 16:10:39
Print Post

Still zip for the rest of us m8 but anything to do with this

https://twitter.com/broadbandSE16/status/80867882229...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Dec-16 17:39:09
Print Post

Yeap that is where cabinet 61

Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 14-Dec-16 12:55:27
Print Post

Curious to see how long it takes for this cabinet to fill up. That area is not the worst there is in Rotherhithe in terms of ADSL speeds but still pretty awful and as soon as the word spreads, most of them will most likely try to upgrade...
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:40:15
Print Post

Still zip for the rest of us m8 but anything to do with this

https://twitter.com/broadbandSE16/status/80867882229...

Yes, I told him that (probably why he tweeted it).

You should follow http://broadbandse16.co.uk/news/newplans. Same bloke.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 16:45:20
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

There are a few other new green cabs going up. This morning I saw two contractors wiring up the one on Redriff Road just about opposite Onega Gate.

I think the work on the ground is in advance of the websites reporting on them.
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 17:19:07
Print Post

They seem still determined to ignore the riverside of Rotherhithe Street. It is a long chain of 1.5-4Mb/s connections, all of them EO. All Openreach projects seem to be targeting the centre of the peninsula or landside of Rotherhithe Street, which of course is nice for those who live there but frustrating for us on the river side.

At least something is happening, albeit slowly.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 00:09:55
Print Post

There are a few other new green cabs going up. This morning I saw two contractors wiring up the one on Redriff Road just about opposite Onega Gate.

I saw that today as i drove past and trying to have a quick nose it looked like it was related to the development at the "quebec curve" roundabout, i'll take a walk over there and see if i can speak to anyone later today

All1
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:23:15
Print Post

I saw that today as i drove past and trying to have a quick nose it looked like it was related to the development at the "quebec curve" roundabout, i'll take a walk over there and see if i can speak to anyone later today

All1

It's not opposite Onega gate, it's right next to the speed camera opposite Norway Gate. I will try and find the cabinet number tomorrow. They had an adjacent manhole cover up today, I assume splicing pairs.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:24:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by hvis42:
They seem still determined to ignore the riverside of Rotherhithe Street. It is a long chain of 1.5-4Mb/s connections, all of them EO. All Openreach projects seem to be targeting the centre of the peninsula or landside of Rotherhithe Street, which of course is nice for those who live there but frustrating for us on the river side.

I thought you had virgin cable down rotherhithe street ?
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 17:26:24
Print Post

All1

The "quebec curve" development (the brand new one on the roundabout) already has cabinets, there's a row of them on quebec way - I assume because there are a few new developments down that road.

it looks to me like BT are finally doing something sensible on the rotherhithe peninsula, I hope everyone is finally covered - the population density warrants it.

Edited by gavsdavs (Wed 21-Dec-16 17:27:02)

Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-16 12:46:20
Print Post

No, we don't. Accourding to Thinkbroadband maps Virgin is present in a tiny bit of Rotherhithe Street behind Brunel museum, but from there to Surrey Docks farm pretty much nothing. There appears to be a single, isolated green dot somewhere, but it might be a school as I remember from somewhere Virgin has connected all schools in the area.

From this perspective I find it a bit curious Virgin always seems to end up in "your area didn't quite make it to the top of our list" situation with Rotherhithe, even though they already have some trunk infrastructure here because of schools. Had they done this a couple of years ago, they would have gotten 100% sign up. Now hyperoptic has eroded the business case for Virgin and BT to do anything.

Hyperoptic seems to be there in most of the larger blocks, which leaves only smaller buildings in a limbo. There are many "large" (hyperoptic sense) blocks on the riverside and most of them seem to have been connected.

I've managed to get Hyperoptic promise "in theory" that if a large block next to us would sign up, they could maybe do us at the same time. Sadly they are still requiring many more people to show interest in the larger building before anything happens.

I sort of think it will be either Virgin or Hyperoptic for us to solve the problem. Openreach does not have any activity in this area and from "in scope" to "fttc available" it is a long, long journey, and we are not even in scope yet. I am curiously waiting for Virgin to announce their next areas to be connected.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Thu 22-Dec-16 13:35:54
Print Post

Getting Hyperoptic into a development isn't easy - I tried and met resistance from the freeholder and residents.

Hyperoptic wanted to put termination gear into one central building and trunk ethernet across the fronts of buildings to all the other buildings (sensible enough). This was enough for the residents of the houses who were going to be trunked across - to refuse - and it kyboshed the entire install.

The freeholder wanted to be consulted (and paid) because, well, they're the freeholder, they want their coin.

I honestly thought Rotherhithe street was cabled up when they first put in CATV, because it was there then ! The rest of the area has been built since then.

As a result, it's looking like it really is only BT who can deliver to you - they have the ducts, and they are doing stuff in the area to FTTC people up. I actually think they recognise the demand now, I've seen quite a few cabinets go up over the last few months.

This (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38397304) may also be useful investment (though you can hardly call rotherhithe remote, it might as well be the hebrides).

Best of luck.

Edited by gavsdavs (Thu 22-Dec-16 14:24:28)

Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-16 14:03:07
Print Post

We are a freehold, which means there is one obstacle less as we can make our own decisions.

Still, I would welcome a change in legislation making broadband equal to gas, water and electricity, removing the greedy freeholder or landlord element from the equation. I don't see the added value to anyone else but them in the current setup. Things are challenging enough without the freeholder complication in London as a significant portion of residents are tenants with little interest to invest into anything, and buy to let landlords whose motivation to pay for upgrades that do not allow increase in rent is equally minuscule.

Maybe 2017 brings in some good news.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Thu 22-Dec-16 21:04:18
Print Post

This looks useful, I hadnt seen it before.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=9...
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-16 00:12:15
Print Post

Codelook links don't work for someone else. It makes use of cookie contents as well as the URL.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 14:43:17
Print Post

They seem still determined to ignore the riverside of Rotherhithe Street. It is a long chain of 1.5-4Mb/s connections, all of them EO.
That is why i have given up !!!! BT/Virgin can't be othered and Hyperoptic will only entertain large blocks, I even made a suggestion to them about something and still nothing, so i'm sorry guys but we have to take the bulls by the horns and deal with it ourself and for me that is investing in some new hardware at a cost of about £150 this includes the router to take the 4g sim card, outdoor antenna, mast/brackets, cable, new drill bits the whole kit for sub £150 i will be able to get unlimited downloads at about 20+mbits, it's the only way to go for us poor mugs who are getting shafted, pluus i'm able to get rid of bt line as well so more saving that way

very slowly and as you say only for the select few, i'm sure i also read on SE16 Broadband a while that each cabinet will only take a set number of lines, so given i presume there will be a rush for the service don't be surprised if they run out before some folks even knew they could get a decent speed increase, just a nightmare, and in the meantime, the highlands and islands of scotland get a better deal they we do. it's always outlying area what about poor muppets in London?

All1
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 17:44:48
Print Post

have you checked openreach where and when recently ?
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 18:15:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

This is as I was sent it (so i have not mangled it or copied it out of my browser)

just put your own number in
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 18:21:59
Print Post

They seem still determined to ignore the riverside of Rotherhithe Street. It is a long chain of 1.5-4Mb/s connections, all of them EO.
That is why i have given up !!!! BT/Virgin can't be othered and Hyperoptic will only entertain large blocks, I even made a suggestion to them about something and still nothing, so i'm sorry guys but we have to take the bulls by the horns and deal with it ourself and for me that is investing in some new hardware at a cost of about £150 this includes the router to take the 4g sim card, outdoor antenna, mast/brackets, cable, new drill bits the whole kit for sub £150 i will be able to get unlimited downloads at about 20+mbits, it's the only way to go for us poor mugs who are getting shafted, pluus i'm able to get rid of bt line as well so more saving that way

very slowly and as you say only for the select few, i'm sure i also read on SE16 Broadband a while that each cabinet will only take a set number of lines, so given i presume there will be a rush for the service don't be surprised if they run out before some folks even knew they could get a decent speed increase, just a nightmare, and in the meantime, the highlands and islands of scotland get a better deal they we do. it's always outlying area what about poor muppets in London?

All1

The way you write it sounds like you truly believe BT are dellberately singling you out to avoid you.

I do not know your postcode so i have no idea if there have been new works near you.

There have been lots of new cabinets put up in recent months, I don't think they're finished yet.

Try not to tell yourself they're avoiding you on purpose.......
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 19:02:38
Print Post

The way you write it sounds like you truly believe BT are dellberately singling you out to avoid you.

I do not know your postcode so i have no idea if there have been new works near you.

There have been lots of new cabinets put up in recent months, I don't think they're finished yet.

Try not to tell yourself they're avoiding you on purpose.......

Singling me out personally i doubt it but from looking at maps etc it does seems like riverside stuff is getting left behind and given NOTHING is planned for my local spot according to everything i read it will be AT LEAST 12 months before i get anything so given this thread was started in 2011 i think most of us have had enough

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 19:06:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
have you checked openreach where and when recently ?

LOL yes page is uselss

We're working with government and industry to explore ways to bring Superfast fibre to as many people as possible but don't have a plan for your area yet

In a nutshell, get ready for 3mibit for a damm long timeeeeee or no plans whatsoever

All1
Standard User alloneword
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 19:11:27
Print Post

This is as I was sent it (so i have not mangled it or copied it out of my browser)

just put your own number in

Not to sure how to use that tool but putting in postcode says ADSL2+ & "Fibre Not Available"
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-16 00:09:06
Print Post

it's the only way to go for us poor mugs who are getting shafted,
Shafted how? Why precisely do you feel a commercial company, be they BT or VM, should provide you with a fast broadband connection at a loss? I like many others have helped ourselves by gap funding the installation of a fibre cab. I also live in central London, SW9 in my case, and was one of 75 properties on long EO lines connected to the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington. We were put in touch with both BT and Hyperoptic and after much discussion and fund raising we signed an agreement with BT to install an AIO cab adjacent to our development. We can all now enjoy full speed VDSL connections. We preferred to help ourselves rather than blame BT.

VM actually pass our properties however VM have repeatedly refused to provide any connections even to properties within 2 metres of the VM cable serving adjacent properties.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Sat 24-Dec-16 02:04:11
Print Post

]Shafted how? Why precisely do you feel a commercial company, be they BT or VM, should provide you with a fast broadband connection at a loss? I like many others have helped ourselves by gap funding the installation of a fibre cab. I also live in central London, SW9 in my case, and was one of 75 properties on long EO lines connected to the Vauxhall exchange in Kennington. We were put in touch with both BT and Hyperoptic and after much discussion and fund raising we signed an agreement with BT to install an AIO cab adjacent to our development. We can all now enjoy full speed VDSL connections. We preferred to help ourselves rather than blame BT.
SW9 I can see i have nothing to complain about then.

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-16 03:33:11
Print Post

SW9 I can see i have nothing to complain about then
It was a long haul and we got little help. Lambeth weren't interested and the mayor, at the time Boris, was more interested in seeing commercial properties rather than domestic enabled. Our investigations started in 2011/12 when we first obtained proposals from both Hyperoptic and BT. In both cases more than we could afford. It took until November 2014 for enough of us to get the funds in place and I eventually signed the agreement with BT on behalf of the residents in late March 2015. Our new cab was stood in Dec 2015 but nothing happened for the next six months due to Lambeth refusing to allow BT to install the necessary conduit. We found Lambeth to be most unhelpful here and on other matters and they seem to have little regard for their residents. We finally went live at the end of September this year. So, five years from start to finish and I will readily admit we had it easy as we were able to raise the funds using a method peculiar to our situation since we all lived on the same late 1980s development. It must be so much harder where there isn't an existing community to build on.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Sun 25-Dec-16 02:02:41
Print Post

It was a long haul and we got little help. Lambeth weren't interested and the mayor, at the time Boris, was more interested in seeing commercial properties rather than domestic enabled. Our investigations started in 2011/12 when we first obtained proposals from both Hyperoptic and BT. In both cases more than we could afford. It took until November 2014 for enough of us to get the funds in place and I eventually signed the agreement with BT on behalf of the residents in late March 2015. Our new cab was stood in Dec 2015 but nothing happened for the next six months due to Lambeth refusing to allow BT to install the necessary conduit. We found Lambeth to be most unhelpful here and on other matters and they seem to have little regard for their residents. We finally went live at the end of September this year. So, five years from start to finish and I will readily admit we had it easy as we were able to raise the funds using a method peculiar to our situation since we all lived on the same late 1980s development. It must be so much harder where there isn't an existing community to build on.

Now given you had to fight that much and it took that long can you now understand why people near the river are being screwed over, it's at least 2011 when people have been moaning, where i live (and i am not the worst effected by any means, i get 3.5mbits others get 1.5) we have NO sign of an upgrade, so if they agreed to do something today it will take them 12 months to be ready to take orders (comes from se16 broadband that bit) so with all the will in the world i would be a year away and that is why i have gone another route, we have tens of thousands effected here yet i'm always ready about places that have a few hundred bodies in maybe a few thousand always getting upgrades, it's a joke and what gets my goat is how we have to pay line rental for this [censored] service, I have no idea what normal line rental is as i'm getting a cheaper deal (£18 every 3 months) but i'm even fed up paying this to BT, tell us why we should pay it and not be fed up and when millions is going to areas that have a fraction of the local population why we should not feel we are being treated unfairly.
Hell the Falkland Islands have better speeds then we do round here, in fact i'm sure i read somewhere in the last month or so Southwark was the worst borough in either the country or London (not to sure which one).

Anyway enough of that, i have my router and ext aerial just need pole to mount it and some cable and sim card and hopefully i will be getting the best part of 30mbits why for us is silly speeds, as for Hyperoptic well approached them about something they thought it was a good idea and will come back to me but nothing so guess it's not that much of a priority for them, oh well off to bed it's 2am

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Dec-16 18:54:33
Print Post

screwed over
No-one is "screwing you over". Fast broadband isn't a necessity of life however desirable. That BT, Virgin, Gigaclear etc, haven't chosen to enable our areas is unfortunate and frustrating and we have both had to deal with it in our own way. These are all commercial businesses not charities so can hardly be blamed for not spending money where they feel they aren't going to see a return on their investment. If you want to blame someone blame govenment, both Labour and Tory who chose to fund BDUK and and then decided to exclude the larger cities. It's not just parts of London that have been left in the slow lane but also parts of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds to name but three others

I hope your wireless connection works out for you. It's unfortunate that there aren't enough others in you locality that feel the same as you do who are prepared to contribute £150-£200 each towards a community wide solution rather than each having to work individually as you have done.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Dec-16 20:36:37
Print Post

but also parts of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds to name but three others

BDUK don't fund:
Birmingham
Bristol
Coventry
Derby
Greater London
Kingston Upon Hull
Leicester
Luton
Manchester
Portsmouth
Salford
Southampton

Of all of those, only one seems to be getting significant FTTP: Hull.

Perhaps the blame shouldn't be on the likes of BT and VM, who are making commercial decisions based on the competitive environment they have been put into.

Perhaps the better part of the blame should be the group that created the current competitive environment: Ofcom. Where TalkTalk and Sky can make broadband appear almost free, as add-ons to their business models. Which certainly reduces prices for us consumers, but also reduces the motive to invest.

Note that the one place getting FTTP has a *significantly* different competitive environment. One that the citizens of Hull have decried for a while, but is now giving them a significantly different outcome.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Dec-16 01:42:52
Print Post

Thank you for the more complete list of excluded cities. I could have sworn Leeds was in that group and admit to being a little surprised to see that it includes Luton or even Leicester. I've always been a little intrigued at the exclusion of the like of Southampton/Portsmouth whereas Newcastle and surrounds were included. I suspect "politics" of some sort came into play although not necessarily the more obvious red/blue variety.

Perhaps the blame shouldn't be on the likes of BT and VM
I certainly don't blame those and other companies for acting in a proper commercial way since they are responsible to their shareholders rather than to Joe "I want everything for nothing and I want it now" public. You are, of course, quite correct in that the direct responsibility for much of the broadband debacle in the UK rests with OFCOM but I don't recall governments of any shade doing that much to improve matters.
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 28-Dec-16 00:01:16
Print Post

"I want everything for nothing and I want it now" public.
LOL, i'd be happy with 10mbits and be happy to pay £30 a month and I and others have been waiting years so hardly
want everything for nothing and I want it now
however i have said enough on this one for now.

All1
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-16 00:25:43
Print Post

I never said you wanted something for nothing, all the more so since you have already said that you have purchased equipment that should hopefully enable to to see somewhat better speeds. However how many others of your neighbourhood/community have done the same rather than sitting back and waiting for someone to give them what they want whilst doing nothing about it themselves?
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-16 02:52:46
Print Post

I could have sworn Leeds was in that group

I recall the maps from the Superfast West Yorkshire project. There was a band of excluded areas that runs from Leeds centre to Bradford centre, but large swathes of the wider cities were not excluded.

Perhaps that's because the city councils actually control a fair amount of rural area too - both Leeds and Bradford run right up to the border with North Yorkshire - and make up pretty much the entirety of that northern section of West Yorkshire.

Maybe the others have separately-identifiable urban-only councils.

but I don't recall governments of any shade doing that much to improve matters.

It seems that any minister who stays long enough to understand the issues is rapidly replaced.
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-16 12:12:17
Print Post

No-one is "screwing you over". Fast broadband isn't a necessity of life however desirable. That BT, Virgin, Gigaclear etc, haven't chosen to enable our areas is unfortunate and frustrating and we have both had to deal with it in our own way. These are all commercial businesses not charities so can hardly be blamed for not spending money where they feel they aren't going to see a return on their investment. If you want to blame someone blame govenment, both Labour and Tory who chose to fund BDUK and and then decided to exclude the larger cities. It's not just parts of London that have been left in the slow lane but also parts of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds to name but three others

I hope your wireless connection works out for you. It's unfortunate that there aren't enough others in you locality that feel the same as you do who are prepared to contribute £150-£200 each towards a community wide solution rather than each having to work individually as you have done.

I would also cast some blame to the direction of Ofcom as line rental prices are regulated.

I understand government subsidies and programmes to enable remote, rural areas as price per connection might be more than anyone could be expected to invest. However, areas like Rotherhithe or Lambeth, are as urban as it gets in this country. If the business and pricing model is such that it does not support investment to these locations and similar others either, there is something seriously wrong with the business model.

What would change if line rental cost went up £1/month for now until Openreach have completed their investment round? Few people would notice. What could be achieved with this money, if the current problem is lack of money as everyone routinely claims?

As already discussed here, creating a community in an area where 70% of residents are tenants with no intention to stay very long, is complicated. I am a buy to let landlord as well, and if a community representative suggested it would now cost £600 to improve internet in the area, I would politely ask my tenant, and if they declined to pay for it, so would I. There would be no way for me to reclaim the money from anyone, and I fear it would be the same in Rotherhithe. I would be happy to pay here but most of our neighbours probably would not.

Another woe in Rotherhithe is the local cabling. It is apparently aluminium, not copper. My ADSL line attenuation indicates over 5km line, which is probably not true as the distance between me and the exchange as the crow flies is 1400m. Correct me if I am wrong, but to achieve decent FTTC speeds we would need to be even closer to a green cabinet than in other areas cabled with copper. If this is the case, finding a suitable community becomes even more complicated. Hyperoptic have already done most of the bigger buildings, and the peninsula side of Rotherhithe Street seems to be already server by cabinets and new investment seems to be improving situation on that side of the road anyway. We are talking about a long, narrow strip of land, with Hyperoptic connectivity breaking the "chain" in many places.

FTTC investment of 75 lines would probably be in too large an area to provide any decent speeds over aluminium to half of the participants. A more local project would mean 50% of the new lines being installed to buildings already served by Hyperoptic, which would reduce the number of payers and increase price to levels unbearable to most.

I wonder what it would cost for a FTTRN installation from Openreach. Would it be as expensive as would be an FTTC project? This would bypass the aluminium problem and would allow much smaller communities to do something instead of trying to reach the impossible.

I am also a bit curious why Ofcom (and government) are so trusty of the free market model to solve problems here. If this was the case, I would expect all sorts of service providers to approach those without a decent connection, and offer to install one for a price. Why do we need to set up communities and try to persuade someone do something, instead of them offering their services for a price? In any other business I seem to be bombarded with advertisements and offerings, but in this case companies expect me to set up a community and then humbly beg them to do something for me for a price. As I would be doing their work trying to find them customers willing to pay, I think money flows in the wrong direction in this model.

Edited by hvis42 (Wed 28-Dec-16 13:06:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Dec-16 12:18:39
Print Post

Cat amongst the pigeons...

30+ years where the regulation aim has been to create an alternative to BT/GPO so any move to allow BT Group freedom to set pricing that will encourage its investors to replace things like Aluminium are very unlikely.

The BDUK programme has just about managed to stay out of the courts

So in short its look to the Virgin Media, CityFibre, Hyperoptic and others of this world, as they are the ones Ofcom wants to inherit the mantle of big comms providers.

Standard User Gadget
(committed) Wed 28-Dec-16 14:15:05
Print Post

in the docks area the cables were often laid while there was water in actual docks, so often had to go around to get to the other side, hence the long cable runs and apparently slow ADSL speeds
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-16 14:55:20
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

True, but the aluminium issue does not help. Lines would be long in any case, and aluminium makes the situation even worse. Lines apparently make two loops. One from the north past Rotherhithe Station and one from the south past the farm.

This would be an excellent area for FTTP or FTTRN, as the area is far from ideal to FTTC deployments. I am curious to see what the government proposed changes to support FTTP investment will bring.

The area is a nightmare if doing FTTC. I assume this is why BT/OR keep ignoring the riverside and focusing in the middle of the peninsula, as distances to newly installed cabinets there are much shorter than they would be around Rotherhithe Street. I don't know anything about telephone cabling, or any cabling for that matter, but I somehow think the area would be more or less ideal for FTTP/FTTB installations. There is already a conduit following exactly the route as the fibre would need to go, with entry points to all buildings. Can FTTB get any easier than that?

This does not help at all as long as their strategy is FTTC instead of FTTP/FTTB, but at least on government level they have recognised lack of FTTP as a problem and they are doing at least something to address that. If companies start taking FTTP/FTTB more seriously, I would assume this would not be their most complex installation compared to areas where current copper cabling is a star radiating from a green cabinet.

Maybe I am just a born optimist. I have kept checking openreach web site for years now pretty much every day, hoping one day to see my post code as "in scope" instead of "exploring solutions".
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Dec-16 15:04:06
Print Post

FTTP is always easiest where the routes are shortest. FTTP to a building where FTTC is available is relatively easy as you only have to take the fibre back to the aggregation node - not all the way to the exchange. Where there is no FTTC cabinet there is no current fibre distribution model in place - therefore it is still expensive to achieve. It would probably be more cost effective to do fibre than copper in this circumstance but that doesn't mean that it has a good return on investment.

It comes down to who wants to put the money in (ie BT, Virgin, government, etc) and where their priorities are.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Dec-16 15:31:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

An impressive amount of FTTP from Hyperoptic in the area
https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#...

Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-16 15:40:45
Print Post

Hyperoptic seems to be very active in the area. As I earlier wrote, they have promised to do us as well if they can get a bigger building next door to sign up. This kind of a model might bring some help to smaller buildings in the area if they are willing to expand a bit from a building they have already cabled. Unfortunately for us, the next door building has not shown too much interest at least yet, and I am too busy with my work to become a wandering hyperoptic salesman.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Wed 28-Dec-16 20:13:14
Print Post

FTTB is the same at FTTC and a cab can go in the basement of the building --
how many premises in your bulding -- Openreach has done a numbef of these in London
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-16 09:32:53
Print Post

Only eight.

Any ballpark idea how much they would charge for this? I have always thought their billing is in tens of thousands, which would push the price per connection to unbearable levels.
Standard User Fastman2
(experienced) Thu 29-Dec-16 13:49:27
Print Post

8 not good any other premises close by in same sitiation
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-16 15:40:33
Print Post

Not in any useful way next door as there are no homeowners there.

Going further down the street would require a street cabinet instead of something based in our building, which would be a project of a completely different magnitude, permissions etc instead of doing something we can fully control by ourselves. And this would again make me a wandering fibre broadband salesman to unknown people, which I do not have time, energy, enthusiasm or skills to do.

This is the problem there. I could chip in £500 to solve the problem but I do not have any intention to start selling this door to door. I would assume others think pretty much the same.

A company who has salespeople on their payrolls should send them to do this, as it is or could be their business. They should do their calculations and present a case for potential buyers with a price tag. As they refuse to do this either, I guess everyone involved understands the difficulty of solving the problem even with residents' money there.

This is where I hope the government initiatives will help next year. If it makes network investments more attractive in general, it might motivate someone to start selling their solution without a large "community" present driving the project.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Dec-16 16:23:51
Print Post

The problem is paying those salesmen costs money and if there aren't enough people wanting to do something about it in an area then all of that work is likely to be for nought. From the suppliers perspective it is better to do nothing. It is you that wants it changed and if you want it then you would have to put the leg work in to prove to the supplier that it is worth their while - it costs a lot of money to put that amount of work in and therefore is likely to not have a useful ROI.

This is the same reason that B4RN exists - the big companies couldn't justify the cost of cabling the locations. The locals could spend many of their own hours drumming up business, digging trenches, installing cables, running networks, etc - if they added up a true market value of their time then it is highly likely that as a business it would have gone bust long ago. Only the work of volunteers makes it viable.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 19-Mar-17 14:31:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Over the last few months I've seen 4 FTTC cabinets go in very near to me.

This means a good number of people must now be able to get FTTC services (like myself).

Has anyone else reading this thread benefitted from this work by BT ?
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 20-Apr-17 13:54:02
Print Post

BT has done nothing for Brunswick Quay still stuck on our EO lines - waiting to see what Hyperoptic come back with (they are doing a survey) but not holding out too much hope. Virgin showed interest in May 2015 saying they are coming but still waiting - we now get the register your interest page rather than the Your neighbourhood looks pretty good page. Still with the forthcoming election I will be remembering Southwark Labour's pledge to bring superfast broadband to Rotherhithe back in March 2014 when making my decision on who to vote for...
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 24-Apr-17 23:31:54
Print Post

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mmb:
BT has done nothing for Brunswick Quay still stuck on our EO lines - waiting to see what Hyperoptic come back with (they are doing a survey) but not holding out too much hope. Virgin showed interest in May 2015 saying they are coming but still waiting - we now get the register your interest page rather than the Your neighbourhood looks pretty good page. Still with the forthcoming election I will be remembering Southwark Labour's pledge to bring superfast broadband to Rotherhithe back in March 2014 when making my decision on who to vote for...

See my other post it may help you out a bit

All1
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Mon 26-Jun-17 16:17:53
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London) Update

For those of us who still haven't moved away after six years of "exploring solutions" from BT, there seems to be some progress from council.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s69037/R...

Basically they now investigate gap funding options and start investigating about government funds for meeting the 10 Mbps USO.

The good thing is, money seems to be finally on the table. This far it has not been an option as far as I understand. They also seem to put focus on future proof technologies, basically FTTP, as there is a government initiative for that as well. For the remaining EO part of Rotherhithe, FTTP might make sense, as it is a narrow strip of land (riverside and around docks), and the local cabling is aluminium. If G.Fast is not going to impress with speed over 350 meters of copper, it would be much less with aluminium. Either a half of the rearranged part of the peninsula would get FTTC that would not scale up beyond VDSL, or they would need to install a lot of green cabinets, which again is complicated and expensive.

We shall see.

The bad thing is, now that money might be on the table, OR willprobably do very little before this investigation finishes. They will finish what they have started but I would be surprised if they added a single "in scope" area in Rotherhithe before October as there might be money involved while waiting.

H

Edited by hvis42 (Mon 26-Jun-17 16:20:11)

Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 28-Jun-17 00:36:53
Print Post

Only half way through the pdf right now but my worry is funding, if i have read it right so far money is from EU or will be anyway but why would they want to give us a penny when were on the way out?

All1
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Wed 28-Jun-17 07:49:59
Print Post

Not sure about EU money, never heard of it and I would be very, very surprised if EU money was available in London, that is still one of the most affluent places in Europe.

In contrast, government does have a budget for internet infrastructure improvements and USO but no one knows how this money will be allocated and to whom, as all government plans are somewhat woolly. How I understand the council project is that they will investigate how they can get some of that money to solve the Rotherhithe issue, as the EO part will never meet 10 Mbit/s USO without network rearrangement. As there is also an earlier initiative to support investment to FTTP, they seem to be trying to combine these.

Not sure what will come out of it but it is mostly government money they are after.

H
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:41:56
Print Post

Not sure about EU money, never heard of it and I would be very, very surprised if EU money was available in London, that is still one of the most affluent places in Europe.
Not all of London is loaded.
This is what stands out to me
Procurement will be in line with the European Commission’s state aid and competition regulation to ensure full compliance in this area.

Having read it all i don't hold out much hope, lot of hot air IMO but time will tell.

All1
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 14-Sep-17 13:31:56
Print Post

Just had an email from Hyperoptic saying they have submitted a proposal to install full fibre broadband at Brunswick Quay - I wasn't expecting this as they previously only did the bigger blocks of flats
Standard User hvis42
(regular) Mon 18-Sep-17 09:53:25
Print Post

They have also installed fibre to my building (only 8 flats), when they cabled the much larger building next door. Our fibre goes there and from there wherever it goes. That was two months ago but they have not done the local cabling yet so the service is not live. This will probably be a way for them to do smaller buildings if there is a large one in the vicinity.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to