General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hvis42
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-16 15:40:33
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London)

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Not in any useful way next door as there are no homeowners there.

Going further down the street would require a street cabinet instead of something based in our building, which would be a project of a completely different magnitude, permissions etc instead of doing something we can fully control by ourselves. And this would again make me a wandering fibre broadband salesman to unknown people, which I do not have time, energy, enthusiasm or skills to do.

This is the problem there. I could chip in £500 to solve the problem but I do not have any intention to start selling this door to door. I would assume others think pretty much the same.

A company who has salespeople on their payrolls should send them to do this, as it is or could be their business. They should do their calculations and present a case for potential buyers with a price tag. As they refuse to do this either, I guess everyone involved understands the difficulty of solving the problem even with residents' money there.

This is where I hope the government initiatives will help next year. If it makes network investments more attractive in general, it might motivate someone to start selling their solution without a large "community" present driving the project.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Dec-16 16:23:51
Print Post

[re: hvis42] [link to this post]

The problem is paying those salesmen costs money and if there aren't enough people wanting to do something about it in an area then all of that work is likely to be for nought. From the suppliers perspective it is better to do nothing. It is you that wants it changed and if you want it then you would have to put the leg work in to prove to the supplier that it is worth their while - it costs a lot of money to put that amount of work in and therefore is likely to not have a useful ROI.

This is the same reason that B4RN exists - the big companies couldn't justify the cost of cabling the locations. The locals could spend many of their own hours drumming up business, digging trenches, installing cables, running networks, etc - if they added up a true market value of their time then it is highly likely that as a business it would have gone bust long ago. Only the work of volunteers makes it viable.
Standard User gavsdavs
(experienced) Sun 19-Mar-17 14:31:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Over the last few months I've seen 4 FTTC cabinets go in very near to me.

This means a good number of people must now be able to get FTTC services (like myself).

Has anyone else reading this thread benefitted from this work by BT ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 20-Apr-17 13:54:02
Print Post

[re: gavsdavs] [link to this post]

BT has done nothing for Brunswick Quay still stuck on our EO lines - waiting to see what Hyperoptic come back with (they are doing a survey) but not holding out too much hope. Virgin showed interest in May 2015 saying they are coming but still waiting - we now get the register your interest page rather than the Your neighbourhood looks pretty good page. Still with the forthcoming election I will be remembering Southwark Labour's pledge to bring superfast broadband to Rotherhithe back in March 2014 when making my decision on who to vote for...
Standard User alloneword
(member) Mon 24-Apr-17 23:31:54
Print Post

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mmb:
BT has done nothing for Brunswick Quay still stuck on our EO lines - waiting to see what Hyperoptic come back with (they are doing a survey) but not holding out too much hope. Virgin showed interest in May 2015 saying they are coming but still waiting - we now get the register your interest page rather than the Your neighbourhood looks pretty good page. Still with the forthcoming election I will be remembering Southwark Labour's pledge to bring superfast broadband to Rotherhithe back in March 2014 when making my decision on who to vote for...

See my other post it may help you out a bit

All1
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Mon 26-Jun-17 16:17:53
Print Post

Re: Rotherhithe (Zone 2, London) Update

[re: OC3D_Mul] [link to this post]

For those of us who still haven't moved away after six years of "exploring solutions" from BT, there seems to be some progress from council.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s69037/R...

Basically they now investigate gap funding options and start investigating about government funds for meeting the 10 Mbps USO.

The good thing is, money seems to be finally on the table. This far it has not been an option as far as I understand. They also seem to put focus on future proof technologies, basically FTTP, as there is a government initiative for that as well. For the remaining EO part of Rotherhithe, FTTP might make sense, as it is a narrow strip of land (riverside and around docks), and the local cabling is aluminium. If G.Fast is not going to impress with speed over 350 meters of copper, it would be much less with aluminium. Either a half of the rearranged part of the peninsula would get FTTC that would not scale up beyond VDSL, or they would need to install a lot of green cabinets, which again is complicated and expensive.

We shall see.

The bad thing is, now that money might be on the table, OR willprobably do very little before this investigation finishes. They will finish what they have started but I would be surprised if they added a single "in scope" area in Rotherhithe before October as there might be money involved while waiting.

H

Edited by hvis42 (Mon 26-Jun-17 16:20:11)

Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 28-Jun-17 00:36:53
Print Post

Only half way through the pdf right now but my worry is funding, if i have read it right so far money is from EU or will be anyway but why would they want to give us a penny when were on the way out?

All1
Standard User hvis42
(learned) Wed 28-Jun-17 07:49:59
Print Post

[re: alloneword] [link to this post]

Not sure about EU money, never heard of it and I would be very, very surprised if EU money was available in London, that is still one of the most affluent places in Europe.

In contrast, government does have a budget for internet infrastructure improvements and USO but no one knows how this money will be allocated and to whom, as all government plans are somewhat woolly. How I understand the council project is that they will investigate how they can get some of that money to solve the Rotherhithe issue, as the EO part will never meet 10 Mbit/s USO without network rearrangement. As there is also an earlier initiative to support investment to FTTP, they seem to be trying to combine these.

Not sure what will come out of it but it is mostly government money they are after.

H
Standard User alloneword
(member) Wed 28-Jun-17 16:41:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by hvis42:
Not sure about EU money, never heard of it and I would be very, very surprised if EU money was available in London, that is still one of the most affluent places in Europe.
Not all of London is loaded.
This is what stands out to me
Procurement will be in line with the European Commissionís state aid and competition regulation to ensure full compliance in this area.

Having read it all i don't hold out much hope, lot of hot air IMO but time will tell.

All1
Standard User mmb
(newbie) Thu 14-Sep-17 13:31:56
Print Post

[re: mmb] [link to this post]

Just had an email from Hyperoptic saying they have submitted a proposal to install full fibre broadband at Brunswick Quay - I wasn't expecting this as they previously only did the bigger blocks of flats
Pages in this thread: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | 28 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to