General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User reech
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 13:58:12
Print Post

Broadband Speed - ST19 9BQ

[link to this post]

H'lo!

Friend's broadband with AOL has been useful for 'checking email and doing a little bit of things' at just under 1Mb (see stats below) And yes - I'm aware it's AOL, but he was plodding along using it in old place, before he moved out into the middle of nowhere wink I ditched AOL several years back when they capped me, swore they didn't - switched and had no problem, and no limits.

However, his connection did okay for him, but... Now the kids are wanting to use stuff for videos\school projects and so on, plus he's interested in iPlayer (he thought it always stuttered until he saw it at my house!)

Recently had an engineer in to do some wiring for telephones and so on, and the engineer suggested he should be getting 4-5Mb - I've checked his router stats, and I'm fairly certain it's 'good' - unless I'm reading things back to front...

About 7pm on Friday night
Connection Speed 704 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 10 db 18 db

About 10am on Saturday morning
Connection Speed 736 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 15 db
Noise Margin 11 db 18 db

BT's broadband checker suggests he might get 'up to 8' (more likely 4-5) - however BT have messed him around at business premises, so he's not sure whether he wants to use them. I tried the postcode at plus.net, expecting the same result, but got 'around 1Mb' back.

Edit: Further checking - rather than just search for the 'bt product page' which asks you to put in postcode and get the above results, I put in the phone number, and got the much less impressive 0.75 - 2Mb. Hmm!

So - any suggestions or guidance - should he plunge for BT, and what recourse do I have if it's a not-spot like other providers suggest?

---Reech

Edited by reech (Mon 02-May-11 14:11:11)

Standard User mattypi
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 14:44:11
Print Post

Re: Broadband Speed - ST19 9BQ

[re: reech] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by reech:
H'lo!

Friend's broadband with AOL has been useful for 'checking email and doing a little bit of things' at just under 1Mb (see stats below) And yes - I'm aware it's AOL, but he was plodding along using it in old place, before he moved out into the middle of nowhere wink I ditched AOL several years back when they capped me, swore they didn't - switched and had no problem, and no limits.

However, his connection did okay for him, but... Now the kids are wanting to use stuff for videos\school projects and so on, plus he's interested in iPlayer (he thought it always stuttered until he saw it at my house!)

Recently had an engineer in to do some wiring for telephones and so on, and the engineer suggested he should be getting 4-5Mb - I've checked his router stats, and I'm fairly certain it's 'good' - unless I'm reading things back to front...

About 7pm on Friday night
Connection Speed 704 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 10 db 18 db

About 10am on Saturday morning
Connection Speed 736 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 15 db
Noise Margin 11 db 18 db

BT's broadband checker suggests he might get 'up to 8' (more likely 4-5) - however BT have messed him around at business premises, so he's not sure whether he wants to use them. I tried the postcode at plus.net, expecting the same result, but got 'around 1Mb' back.

Edit: Further checking - rather than just search for the 'bt product page' which asks you to put in postcode and get the above results, I put in the phone number, and got the much less impressive 0.75 - 2Mb. Hmm!

So - any suggestions or guidance - should he plunge for BT, and what recourse do I have if it's a not-spot like other providers suggest?

postcode or tel number?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 02-May-11 14:47:43
Print Post

[re: mattypi] [link to this post]

ST19 9BQ

eta: no LLU

Edited by john2007 (Mon 02-May-11 14:48:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mattypi
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 15:06:36
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

go with bt or any other wholesale isp and you will get 7-8 mbits - plenty fast enough
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 02-May-11 15:24:27
Print Post

His line seems to be underperfoming.

With a downstream attenuation of 44 dB it would normally sync in the range 4500 - 7000 kbps on standard ADSL. Why is it only syncing at 704 - 736 kbps?

Can he get the stats from the test socket within modernish BT master sockets? That might rule in/out internal phone wiring as a problem.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Mon 02-May-11 15:36:44
Print Post

Lines definitely under performing, based on the attenuation he should see between 4 and 8 meg. It is probably not the ISP, but is more likely a poor setup at his end. E.g. not using the master phone socket, or having a poor internal wiring setup..

I think if you switch ISP you will see faster speeds for about a week (With lots of instability), then the new ISPs profiling system will detect the same issues as AOLs, that noise margin will increase once again and that speed will drop once again to 0.75 meg.

You need to find out what's causing the issues.

So, can you try a different filter and plug into the test socket, with only the router plugged in....

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-i...

That's the test socket.

Repost the stats in that test socket.
Standard User reech
(newbie) Mon 02-May-11 16:50:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Excellent - thanks for that.

I know where the master socket is; will have a look when I'm there next (probably not until weekend) and will pull the router through to there.

He *has* been given a 'plate' with a separate ADSL port in it from the engineer - god only knows why the engineer didn't fit it over the mastersocker at the time - I think that's actually the BT Infinity one, so I won't bother fitting that - I'll just use the master socket that's there, as per thread.

---Reech
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Mon 02-May-11 16:52:36
Print Post

Does the socket look like this?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/phone/adslfaceplat...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-May-11 17:14:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

No - it's actually like this:

Note that this is a plate that the engineer left behind, after leaving the master socket as is.
Standard User reech
(newbie) Sun 08-May-11 13:37:14
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hello!

Right, the master socket stats; connected up and got:

(Saturday night)

4064 / 4448
48 / 14.5
10 / 18

(Sunday morning)