General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Jun-11 18:05:03
Print Post

Advice please on a Not Spot

[link to this post]

My parents have been trying to get broadband for a few years now, but are in a not spot so i have tried contacting the CEO of BT a couple of times, one of the times it was passed to a nice lady who was trying everything possible to get the service out to us (long line of 13.2km), and infact the service was recieved for about 2 hours, before losing it again. She said they would even look into the route at what the lines take to the house, but then said that nothing more could be down. However, i have also looked at the route at which the line takes, and have notice that it can be shortened by 1km by adding 3 poles (2 of which will need added within the next 4 months due to a new house). Is there any way that BT couold be persueded to reroute the lines this way for me.

Many Thanks
Phil
Standard User Ribble
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 18:30:47
Print Post

Re: Advice please on a Not Spot

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I would suggest you start here
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Thu 30-Jun-11 20:29:12
Print Post

Hi,
I have to say that even beats my line length of 9km. But what router did you have? The Business hub or the billion 7800N have been reccomended to me by an engineer for getting some sort of a connection of broadband even when the engineer's equiptment wouldn't.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 30-Jun-11 21:47:06
Print Post

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

i just used that standard home hub (both 1 & 2). Was never a lover of them, but i wasn't gonna buy 1 and then not get the service. Although i was looking on ebay and seen a refurb one for £8, so might put an order in again and buy one of those. just was wondering if i could get the line shortened though.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-11 21:51:35
Print Post

To tell the truth 1km off a 13k line isn't going to make much of a difference. There is a product called 'BET' (broadband enabling technology) that would provide service for sure. But, and it's a big but, this requires expensive equipment to be installed in the exchange. So expensive that you are going to be needing a fair few punters who require a similar service to make it financially viable. Once the exchange kit is in there is additional equipment in the house, and at a prespecified point in the lines length. This will still only get around .75 of a meg, or about 1.5 if two pairs are used (more expense).

There is already a handfull of exchanges with this kit in it. The only one I know of is Twyford in Berks......

Would a wireless dongle not be an easier/cheaper solution ?

Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Thu 30-Jun-11 22:18:43
Print Post

Let's put it this way, it took me 8 years to get to the top of BT and get 2 new poles put in + replace about 800m of cable.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 01-Jul-11 09:37:28
Print Post

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gouledw:
Hi,
I have to say that even beats my line length of 9km. But what router did you have? The Business hub or the billion 7800N have been reccomended to me by an engineer for getting some sort of a connection of broadband even when the engineer's equiptment wouldn't.

This. I'm on 9km+ and have used the following routers over the years. In the order tried, approximate sync speeds were...

HH1 - about 1200 kbps
2Wire 2700 - about 1600 kbps
HH2A - About 16-1800 kbps
HH2B - About 13-1400 kbps
Voyager 2500v - 1800-2100

I've not tried the Billion, but can thoroughly recommend trying the Business Hub (2Wre 2700 HGV, go to ebay and spend £5). The voyager is harder to get and probably not necessary in your case.

Once you have one, re-place an order and try to get sync with that.

And the standard approach to get the best from the wiring...

Disconnect any diallers (oil tank, alarm, etc) from the line.*
Disconnect all extension wiring.*
If you don't have an NTE5 master socket, get one fitted.
Use an Openreach faceplate filter.

At these sorrt of distances, getting everything sorted out could make all the difference.

*You can reconnect later, to try and get adsl working it's best to just remove them.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:01:30
Print Post

Local councils are making moves to get funding for areas like yours, so see what you local/county councils are up to. THere may be moves that get you BB in a few years.

Alternatively look at the KA band satellite services, no good for FPS gaming, but ok for shopping/email/web/banking

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ivatec
(newbie) Sun 10-Jul-11 20:55:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You can now get Satellite Broadband from any locatoion regardless of where you are or distance from the BT exchange. Simple installation and up to 10MB download speed!

Ivatec Ltd

Providing up to 10MB download and 4MB upload ANYWHERE in the country without the need for a phone line!
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 10-Jul-11 22:14:57
Print Post

[re: Ivatec] [link to this post]

Perhaps 10Mb (megabit) rather than 10MB (magebyte).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to