General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 14:41:11
Print Post

Broadband speed, just depleting with rising SNR. :S

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,
Im having a few issues with DLM. My line has now been completley redone, and I was enjoying a sync speed of 2.5MB until the lightning fried my router and made it faulty, thus making BT's DLM think the connection was unstable and raising the SNR to 12dB.

Here are my current stats:
Broadband StatusVPI: 0
VCI: 38
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT Annex A
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Speed (down/up): 1600 Kbps/448 Kbps
Number of Retrains: 2
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time: 0H: 19M: 19S
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 12.0 dB/12.0 dB
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 66.0 dB/31.5 dB

A lot of you may be thinking why am I moaning, but I live on a 9km line, and speed just ins't possible with a high SNR.

So wondering if one of the nice BT guys could tweak the line to the best of it's abilities?

Kind Regards
Edd
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 14:50:16
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed, just depleting with rising SNR. :S

[re: gouledw] [link to this post]

Have you raised this with support in the first instance?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gouledw
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-11 16:09:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well to be quite honest, I've tried with BT India on the phone at least 6 times, and they've put the line into training period twice now! 20days waisted... And I gave up with the BT Forum moderators a long time ago about waiting for a response. So I've sent an e-mail off to the people on this forum.

I don't know how much you can do Mr Safron, I hear you can sometimes help in the matter. I currently have a case open for my line with the Executive Level Complaints. But that won't affect the broadband because all we're waiting for now is a permanent solution, we're on a completley clean new piece of wire which is temporary. Poles should be going in next 4-6 weeks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 16:37:03
Print Post

Training period - wrong thing to change.

A reset of the target noise margin is what is needed, Though if poles are changing in 4 to 6 weeks, I would hold off until that is completed to avoid having to go through the same process all over again.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gouledw
(learned) Tue 26-Jul-11 16:48:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When the new poles go on it won't create a new training period, the line just increases sync and profile instantly. It's because the engineer that comes and connects it all up is the best bloke available in the area, and he always phones WHolesale and makes sure everything is all right etc..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 17:31:34
Print Post

Yes, sync should adjust up or down appropriately.

The danger is if you bother to get the margin reset now, that it will creep back up and need resetting again once the work is done. ie. wait until all the work to improve a line has been done.

Margin does not increase for no reason, and if the instability is still there (may not be visible if higher margin is masking it), then the margin will go back to a high value.

Print Thread

Jump to