General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hxbro
(regular) Wed 17-Aug-11 10:05:18
Print Post

Slow spot installation

[link to this post]

I've got a new line install for broadband next week, I'm expecting around 512Kbit's (nice and quick!)

Anyone got any things I could try bribe/persuade the BT engineer to do whilst he's there, e.g. look for a shorter line to connect me to.

I'm guessing he'll put a new filtered faceplate, anything else I could ask him to look into ?

I'm not going to bother with internal wiring the house isn't big enough to warrant that and wireless should work throughout and far exceed the broadband capacity.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 17-Aug-11 10:39:17
Print Post

Re: Slow spot installation

[re: hxbro] [link to this post]

Doubt that the Engineer can do much- the real question is how far away from the Exchange are you. With that predicted speed, I would guess more than 5km.

Yes, I think you will get a new filtered Master Socket as it's a new install. If not, fit a dangly filter.

Don't worry too much; in the early days of Broadband, all I could get was 512kb/s. Bit slow (no pun intended) by today's standards, but it did the job.

Now, several years later there is ADSL2+ and FTTC. I'm sure technology will catch up with you too.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User hxbro
(regular) Wed 17-Aug-11 12:15:28
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Straight line is only 3.7km, but I know someone else who's in the same village, and they get 1Mbit on a good day, and are slightly closer than me (I'm on the wrong side of the village).

512kbit/s isn't the end of the world, daily things will be fine, larger files I'll just switch to 3G and move to the other side of the house to get signal.

Infinity is due to be installed on the exchange next year, but I'm not confident they'll install the village I'm in.

Might have to research setting up community broadband using wireless, but that's only if infinity doesn't arrive.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Aug-11 15:48:17
Print Post

Broadband installs (ADSL) do not usually involve an engineer visit, has one explicitly being arranged

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Aug-11 16:30:19
Print Post

Hi Hxbro

Have you ever looked into having Satallite broadband? for slow broadband areas it's great, means you have have a signal of up too 8Mbps which is constant, I just have has HySpeed Broadband give me a quote, why not check them out of others, theirs plenty around.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Wed 17-Aug-11 16:37:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by hxbro:
Straight line is only 3.7km, but I know someone else who's in the same village, and they get 1Mbit on a good day, and are slightly closer than me (I'm on the wrong side of the village).

512kbit/s isn't the end of the world, daily things will be fine, larger files I'll just switch to 3G and move to the other side of the house to get signal.

Infinity is due to be installed on the exchange next year, but I'm not confident they'll install the village I'm in.

Might have to research setting up community broadband using wireless, but that's only if infinity doesn't arrive.

If 3G is better you could get something like myfi via 3

But 512 is fine for browsing

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 17-Aug-11 16:40:45)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Aug-11 17:16:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by hxbro:
I've got a new line install for broadband next week, I'm expecting around 512Kbit's (nice and quick!)

Anyone got any things I could try bribe/persuade the BT engineer to do whilst he's there, e.g. look for a shorter line to connect me to.

I'm guessing he'll put a new filtered faceplate, anything else I could ask him to look into ?

I'm not going to bother with internal wiring the house isn't big enough to warrant that and wireless should work throughout and far exceed the broadband capacity.

If it's a new phone line installation, you'll be getting a bog-standard NTE5 like any other punter.
Standard User hxbro
(regular) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:29:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's a new line install too, I'll be getting as much out of the engineer as I can, basically I know the connection won't be great, I'm expecting issues from the start (the other person I know had 5 engineers for his connection).
Standard User hxbro
(regular) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:33:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Never heard of Satallite, only satellite broadband, slow latency, high costs... no thanks.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:42:18
Print Post

If it's just a combined provide, then the line will be provided on the routing given in the engineers task notes. As long as it passes it's PQT (pair quality test) upon completion, that's all they are obliged to do.

They won't fit a filtered faceplate, and since you will be getting a single standard NTE on the end, with no extension wiring, you won't need one.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to