General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keymoo
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 10:51:52
Print Post

ADSL speed dropped below 1mbit

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I've lived in my property for 9 years, and when we first got ADSL the best we could get was around 1.2 mbit as we live about 6km from the exchange (in the next village). My sync speeds were generally around 1768kbps and as high as ~2000mbit (rare) but a few weeks ago have dropped below 800 and then stable at 768kbps. It then dropped further to below 500kbps and I checked the phone line and there was a lot of noise, crackle and hissing. I called bt out and they told me the junction from the ground was damp, so they replaced the cable junction outside my property and put a new wire into the property and then sealed the junction with silicon to prevent further damp. The phone line sounds clean now, although a bit faint (but then it's always been a bit faint).

I have connected my Netgear DG834 router to the master test socket and unplugged the phone but the speed is really bad now, it's dropped to 416 kbps. Here's a screenshot of the stats:

http://postimage.org/image/1iyoe0s9w/

I have also bought a new filter and replaced the phone cable from the router to the master phone socket - no difference.

As I work from home quite often, it's causing real problems. Any ideas on how to get the speed back to where it was? I'm in touch with my ISP as well, but I seem to have lost faith in the competence of both BT and my ISP. Should I employ a private telecoms engineer to have a look at it? I'm willing to try anything to get the speeds up again.

Thanks for reading.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 22-Aug-11 11:00:58
Print Post

Re: ADSL speed dropped below 1mbit

[re: keymoo] [link to this post]

Noise margin is quite high, chances are the line fault has caused that.

You can try explaining to the ISP that you have had a voice fault and you would like the noise margin reset to 6dB, and see if they understand. First line probably won't.

I don't think that will get you back all the "lost" speed though, each 3dB setp seems to be a few hundred kb of sync speed, so you'll probably only get back to about 1Mb if you're lucky.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Aug-11 11:02:52
Print Post

A private telecoms engineer cannot touch the BT network, so not sure what that would achieve apart form spending money.

You have a target noise of 9 or 12dB it looks like, and this is probably because of the various problems the line has shown - i.e. a target noise margin reset to 6dB might be worth while.

Though with 58dB attenuation, even when you used to get 1.7Mbps syncs that is on the slightly low side for what I'd expect at that attenuation, 2Mbps should be more what you'd expect. We presume that when you use the test socket, that none of the other phone sockets in the property work?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keymoo
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 11:22:13
Print Post

Thanks for the replies!

I asked the BT engineer to disconnect all the extensions in the property, in the hope that it would improve things. There is only one socket active now, and that's the master socket. I took the faceplate off and plugged the router into the test socket to be sure. BTW, this is the 4th time I've called them out and it took 4 BT engineers to spot the fact that the junction box outside was too damp. Grrrr.

I've told the ISP I had a voice fault last Friday, but they said wait a few days for the speed to increase (which I have) but they are still slow. Should I ask them for a noise margin reset now? Will they understand what I'm talking about (I certainly don't) smile

Where do you think the speed bottlenecks might be on my line if 1768 is a bit low for a 58dB attenuation? I would be very happy with a 2mbit line. I lived in Switzerland for a couple of years and had 100mbit fibre to the home, so this service is beyond unbearable in comparison.

Thanks very much, I've almost pulled all my hair out.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Aug-11 11:25:17
Print Post

Ask for a target noise margin reset.

The ISP is thinking that your IP Profile is a bit low and will recover, which is wrong. You have a low sync due to a high target noise margin, now this might recover in a few weeks if the line is very stable.

NOTE: You might want to consider a 2Wire 2700 router, which some say work better on longer lines.

Alas with broadband location is everything.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User keymoo
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 12:56:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, this is what I got back from my ISP:

"I have run some diagnostics which shows no fault found, although your service is still showing as unstable. I have contacted repairs and requested they run further diagnostics. Hopefully we will know more once those come in. Until the instability is fixed we will not be able to perform an SNR reset. Also the instability is most likely why your speeds have dropped back down."

Will rebooting my router attempting to get higher speeds cause "instability"? What does that mean? Thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Aug-11 13:01:06
Print Post

Rebooting the router, will add to the instability stats, and these usually look back for a week or two, so if the work was only done recently, then its leave well alone and let the line show its slow but stable

Standard User keymoo
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 18:48:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK thanks I guess I will have to be patient. I just checked my router again and the stats now look like this:

http://postimage.org/image/1o8mx8u90/

Can you send me a link so I can understand what all those numbers mean? I would like to have some understanding of what's going on. It looks like my Noise Margin has gone up but I don't know what it means or what the implications are. Thanks.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Mon 22-Aug-11 19:05:41
Print Post

Not mine but another forum contributor's information pages should help:

http://www.robertos.me.uk/index.html
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Aug-11 20:42:25
Print Post

sealed the junction with silicon to prevent further damp.

I`d be a little concerned by that, in my experience, depending on how its done, sealing in silicon can just seal in any moisture that's there, or that gets in, making the problem worse, in the long run.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to