General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User adrianrb
(newbie) Sun 28-Aug-11 19:52:27
Print Post

Speed increased by over 3Mbit!

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a successful increase in broadband speed that you may want to also consider.

I have Sky unlimited broadband, and was only receiving somewhere between 1.6Mbit and 2.4Mbit download depending on which month I did the test. Calls to Sky resulted in them saying it's due to the distance to the exchange etc.

I have one BT master socket in the hall, and this is internally cabled to 2 sockets (one in the kitchen for the broadband router and another to a phone in another room), and an extension socket to the lounge for the Sky box. All end sockets have filters.

Since I'd recently got Sky Anytime setup using a LAN cable from my router I wondered if I needed the BT extension line to the Sky box anymore so I unplugged it and re-started my router. My broadband speed jumped to 5.7Mbits and stayed this way!

To test the theory I plugged back in the Sky box, and my speed dropped to less than 3Mbits, again unplugging and it jumps back to 5.7Mbits. I'm in a broadband slow-spot with most people registering under 2Mbits in this area - so I would seriously recommend unplugging all extensions you don't need and trying again.

Hope this helps.

Ade
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 18:12:06
Print Post

Re: Speed increased by over 3Mbit!

[re: adrianrb] [link to this post]

I wondered if I needed the BT extension line to the Sky box anymore so I unplugged it and re-started my router. My broadband speed jumped to 5.7Mbits and stayed this way!

.... and was there a micro filter on this extension feeding the Sky ???

Print Thread

Jump to