General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RutlandTelecom
(learned) Tue 25-Oct-11 19:53:23
Print Post

Hambleton FTTP launch Saturday 29th October

[link to this post]

Hambleton village is in the middle of Rutland Water.
We have connected 63% of the village premises using FTTP. The official launch is this coming Saturday.
Residential users get 50Mbps download, 5Mbps up-load and 100GB/month usage allowance for £50/month
Business users get 50Mbps symmetrical for £100/month, unlimited usage (subject to FUP).
Hambleton Hall Hotel gets a bespoke service and now has, we believe, the fastest broadband for any country house hotel in the UK
Premises can in future upgrade to 1Gbps.

In addition to premises in the village, those across the water can be supplied with 5.8GHz wireless from a wireless node in the village.

The project cost £150k - money raised from the community. Each pre-registered property got a free connection.
The network, which has a dedicated fibre to each property, was installed by Gigaclear, our parent company.

Average speed in the village previously was 0.7Mbps (BT)

Rutland Telecom
Smallest County - Biggest Broadband!
Lyddington: The UK's first deployment of FTTC (subloop unbundling) with MPF

Edited by RutlandTelecom (Tue 25-Oct-11 19:54:57)

Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 25-Oct-11 20:11:23
Print Post

Re: Hambleton FTTP launch Saturday 29th October

[re: RutlandTelecom] [link to this post]

Residential broadband: ADSL2+, VDSL2 (FTTC) and FTTP quota = 25GB per calendar monthBusiness broadband: ADSL2+, VDSL2 (FTTC) = 100GB per calendar monthBusiness broadband: FTTP = 250GB per calendar month

Unlimited is really 250GB?
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 25-Oct-11 20:52:41
Print Post

If I may ask, what's the projected viability for small areas with limited commercials premises? Small as in sub-3000 premises.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Edited by camieabz (Tue 25-Oct-11 20:57:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-11 20:53:56
Print Post

Well done everyone at Rutland Telecom and Gigaclear!

Keep up the good work smile

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 13:51:35
Print Post

£50 pm is quite expensive for 25GB. (£600 pa)

How long do you expect to have to keep prices at this level to recover your installation costs?

How much has the project cost to connect how many users?

Michael Chare
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Oct-11 13:56:25
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
£50 pm is quite expensive for 25GB. (£600 pa)

How long do you expect to have to keep prices at this level to recover your installation costs?

How much has the project cost to connect how many users?

Rutland Telecom said:

Residential users get 50Mbps download, 5Mbps up-load and 100GB/month usage allowance for £50/month

Where are you getting 25Gb allowance from? - 100Gb is not perfect but four more times than wheta you are saying - I have just checked their website
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 14:10:04
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

Where are you getting 25Gb allowance from? - 100Gb is not perfect but four more times than wheta you are saying - I have just checked their website

You are right, I have made a mistake, but I am still curious to know the answers to me questions.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Oct-11 14:49:45
Print Post

I have searched your website for confirmation of the pricing/allowances and cannot find them

If they appear on the site, then will update our news item.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Oct-11 14:57:35
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Actually the £50 is broadly comparable with IDnet's top FTTC package.

They have 80gig peak time use for £48 per month and other FTTC resellers such as Zen are in that ballpark for that much bandwidth.

So not as expensive as you may think and when you go from sub 1meg speeds to the fastest you can get I think most of the residents will be happy with their price tag.

Of course how this could be replicated across the final third is unknown as the majority of consumers still look at the price point and anything over £20 is expensive for broadband let alone for a premium product such as this.

Of course it will pay for itself in the long run as the villiage now makes itself a lot more attractive when people move into the village as they have a top notch service for broadband which will be reflected in the house price.
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 15:31:24
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My main thought was installing fibre broadband incurs large one off installion costs and low running costs. Thus once the original capital costs have been recovered the prices might drop. (In so far as prices are linked to costs!)

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to