General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Volatile_Mike
(newbie) Wed 07-Dec-11 11:13:10
Print Post

Tregof Village/Swansea Vale

[link to this post]

Hello

Im looking for some help on this, Im thinking of renting a house in this area (SA7). But every ISP i try gives me an average calc. of 2mb-7mb. Even on a 20mb package, is there no way around this and just have to accept these speeds? Its roughly 1.5km from exchange.

Any guidance appreciated

Thanks
Standard User kitcat
(learned) Wed 07-Dec-11 16:51:18
Print Post

Re: Tregof Village/Swansea Vale

[re: Volatile_Mike] [link to this post]

Mike

Laws of physics apply. At that distance from the exchange that is all you will get. I would be surprised if you got 7Mb and disappointed if you got 2Mb. I presume it is served off Morriston and the cables will have to get across the river so will be at least 1.5Km real distance and may be 2.5Km.

No sign of FTTC in Swansea yet apart from Mumbles and due to the large business park even then they may not enable your Cab. Doesn't look like it would be a CATV area either.

If you want more than 5Mb you need to be the other side of the 4067.
(newbie) Wed 07-Dec-11 18:38:41
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, looking at the speed tests in the area, seem to be about 2Mb which is dissapointing, and yes exchange is in morriston. Looks like I will have to just bite the bullet and put up with it, and then go to my folks house to download HD files! I'm so used to 16Mb+ its going to be gutting!

Ah well

Thanks Anyway

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(learned) Mon 12-Dec-11 12:30:31
Print Post

Mike

Openreach have just updated their rollout lists for FTTC, Morriston is now on there for sometime in 2012.

As the coming soon list goes to June 2012 I would expect Morriston to be after that but some exchanges do jump in earlier if there are few planning issues. (No conservation areas and a helpful council).
Standard User Magsy
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-11 13:07:35
Print Post

I'm not far away, in the estate by 'The Range' (old ASDA)

I have two lines, both at 4mb so you should be over that by a bit as its a touch closer.

As the previous poster says, FTTC by end of next year so hopefuly light at the end of the tunnel laugh
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 15:51:32
Print Post

[re: Magsy] [link to this post]

does that mean everyone connected to the morriston exchange can get FTTC?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-12 19:37:59
Print Post

Number it is available to varies from exchange to exchange, it is rare for ALL cabinets to be enabled for FTTC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 17-Jan-12 07:52:26
Print Post

I live in Tregof Village and can confirm that the most you will get is around 5Mb - even then you will have to install a better microfilter to get that speed. My service there is provided by Sky.

The annoying part is that Virgin Media have fibre in all areas surrounding the estate (you can even see the CATV manholes on the pavement running past the estate on the main Swansea Vale road)), but do not, and have no plans to, provide their services on the estate (I have asked !!).

That really annoys me as the Virgin Media service being offered on premises surrounding the estate is 100Mb !!
Standard User kitcat
(regular) Tue 17-Jan-12 09:39:23
Print Post

You need to have a complete postcode then someone can look at the leaked Dec 2011 lists and give you a better answer on what chance you have.

Look for a thread with "Interesting doc on FTTC" in the title, towards the end there is a link to a Google doc set of files, these will tell you what chance each postcode has of getting FTTC. The answer will not always be accurate in reality, as until the cabinets as put through the planning process objections will not surface, but will give an indication.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 23-Oct-12 09:22:00
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

The cabinet feeding the estate FTTC is in the process of being put together. I have already noticed that the ducts are there ready and waiting. Just needs the cabinet itself, power and of course the fibre cable installed. According to the BT Wholesale checker, properties on the estate should be able to get speeds as high 64Mb from that cabinet - depending on how far you are from that cabinet of course !!!
  Print Thread

Jump to