General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 13-Dec-11 01:47:47
Print Post

Would i be likely to get ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi,

I know this is hard to answer, but i have BT into looking at shortening my line in the hope of recieving broadband but they wanted to wait and see about another premises at the area where the line is to be shortened before making any decisions, this address is recieving a stable 0.7mb line. now my question is, my address is 0.8 mile further away, would it be likely that we would still be able to recieve adsl of some speed, or could the signal not stretch that last distance.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Dec-11 08:58:38
Print Post

Re: Would i be likely to get ADSL

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Best bet would be to find the router stats from this other property, i.e. ask owner if they can supply them.

If their downstream attenuation is under 63dB, then they may be able to go faster if their internal wiring is tidied up.

If above 63dB attenuation, then you may still manage something even though farther away, modems will connect right down to 160 Kbps, which is still better than dialup

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-11 09:47:34
Print Post

Re: Would i be likely to get ADSL

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have a look through some of my older posts - there are several things that can be done to improve matters beyond the line checker estimates,

Fit a filtered faceplate.
Sort out the internal wiring.
Leave the home hub in the box and choose a router that works well on long lines.

Following this, I went from an original profile of 250kbps to a totally stable 1500kbps on a very long line. (or a slightly flaky 1750 if I feel like pushing my luck...)

Do a bit of research - how long (in miles\km) is your existing line? Is it all overhead or underground? Is it near to any obvious sources of noise like railway overhead lines, large factories, etc?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to