General Discussion
  >> Broadband Not-spots & slow-spots

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trfcdan86
(newbie) Wed 11-Jan-12 19:29:51
Print Post

WIFI hotspot...

[link to this post]

help.

First of all im new and not sure if ive poted this in the correct place, if i havent then i apologise.

I currently serving in the forces and live in a barrack block where the wifi is shared between 60 lads approx.

The ISP is tri comms and is apprently fibre optic and at times can be really fast, however most of the time it is awful! I use it to play Xbox live and when its bad its unplayable.

So I was wondering if there is a way to perhaps isolate my connection so it is not affected by the bloke who lives next door (who jacks out and smashed his downloads like a muther f******). Or a simple way i can improve my speed in general.

I believe I'm on to a lost cause and nothing can be done, but you may prove me wrong.

Many thanks and apologies if this comes across as retarded.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jan-12 20:47:38
Print Post

Re: WIFI hotspot...

[re: trfcdan86] [link to this post]

Evwen if the fibre is Gigabit and the wireless signal is just one signal on a 54Mbps (802.11g) box, then the the roughly 24 Meg available in either direction is being fought over by the sixty of you.

Even with just one other user on wireless, it can create lag for console gaming.

The way to resolve things is

1. Find out if they allow ethernet connections, this may improve things for you
2. See if more wireless access points can be installed
3. If you have 3G available, buy a 3G wireless router, and use that with your own security key to provide your own private connection
4. Come up with a block plan, that means for example Wednesday evening is games night, and people will try and refrain from big downloads and uploads (guessing torrents are the big issue).

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to